Combo amp for gigs/practice for MH Blackening type sound

• Thread starter innerself86
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

innerself86

Reaction score
Currently I play on a Ibanez RG1527 with EMG 81-7/60-7 pups and a SpiderValve 1x12 combo. It sounds pretty decent but wh4en cranked it seem to loose that sizzle sound, the gain I guess. I'm looking to get a sound similar to Machine Head Blackening album. Any advice would be cool thanks.:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
when i saw them live, i believe i saw some 5150 head's up on stage. a 5150 combo might be a good place to start :yesway:

innerself86

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go for a Peavey JSX head with a Marshall 2x12 cab. I played a JSX half stack at Guitar Center the other day (brought in my RG1527 with EMG 81-7/60-7 to try it out) and it sounded sick! :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, they have a tendency to do that.

if you want ubersick, retube it, boost it with a JoBo (Bodenhamer Electronics) pedal of your choice, and dime the fx loop and leave it on at alll times.

helloo tone.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
JJ's will probably get you there. they're pretty much the best quality tube out there, and will make any amp perform better at what it does.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What tubes to you recommend for a like Machine Head Burn My Eyes type sound? Alot of high gain/treble.:shred::ugh:

I recommend tube Types, but it depends on what the amp will take.

I myself LOVE KT77's. i have the standard JJ kit in my jsx. Bob @ eurotubes recommends the 6L6's for the high gain metalheads, i may give 'em a shot.

a good cab, good speakers, good boost, good head, good guitar - you're set. might want a noise gate too :lol:

innerself86

Reaction score
Finally got my new rig and it sounds sick! :shred: Ill post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice, JSX head is the shit! :hbang:

')