Comments from non-guitarists about guitars

• Thread starter cardinal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno why but I just assumed that he was all about electric guitars... Maybe that he looked pretty young or that he looked like he was into metal? After I put on the brakes and listened to him talk about his Martin, I did reveal to him that I had a couple of Taylors in another room but at that point it was kinda like two people that get their rocks off having a cheating affair... just to find out that neither are actually married.
A few years ago I was at a party and a friend was like "oh, you need to meet this person over here who also likes guitar". Of course, they were big-time into acoustic, and I had to politely listen to them prattle on about whatever it was acoustic people are into. I'm a jerk on forums but irl I'm actually nice, so I talked with him for a while.

It is pretty amazing that I care a lot about electric guitars and heavy music (mostly), but really don't care that much at all about acoustic or pop music. 🤷‍♀️

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno why but I just assumed that he was all about electric guitars... Maybe that he looked pretty young or that he looked like he was into metal? After I put on the brakes and listened to him talk about his Martin, I did reveal to him that I had a couple of Taylors in another room but at that point it was kinda like two people that get their rocks off having a cheating affair... just to find out that neither are actually married.
Also, you're in Austin, so the probabilty of acoustic is pretty high.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
🤣 at stereotyping people by their looks...

I've done that a few times over the years where I see a dude with long flowing locks wearing a black shirt & jeans and assume he's into metal... only to find out that he doesn't care about Music, but likes D&D and Magic the Gathering

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
A few years ago I was at a party and a friend was like "oh, you need to meet this person over here who also likes guitar". Of course, they were big-time into acoustic, and I had to politely listen to them prattle on about whatever it was acoustic people are into. I'm a jerk on forums but irl I'm actually nice, so I talked with him for a while.

It is pretty amazing that I care a lot about electric guitars and heavy music (mostly), but really don't care that much at all about acoustic or pop music.🤷‍♀️

Naw... you don't come across as a jerk. Yeah, man... most acoustic players that I've run into don't talk much about guitars or even music.. def not about gear lol. But I also don't know anyone that has like a shitload of acoustic guitars either. The same cannot be said for the electric guitar players that I've known over the years.
Also, you're in Austin, so the probabilty of acoustic is pretty high.

Austin actually has a good array of genres and venues. True that there are a good deal of acoustic players here but there's a huge diversity... enough so that you can catch pretty much anything you wanna hear any day of the week.

I've done that a few times over the years where I see a dude with long flowing locks wearing a black shirt & jeans and assume he's into metal... only to find out that he doesn't care about Music, but likes D&D and Magic the Gathering

Yeah... you def can't get a good handle on the long hair... could be a pot-head, could be a metal-head, could just be a tech nerd or some dude just holding onto the 70s-80s. I don't typically expect or anticipate anything about a person just from their appearance... outside of the old farmer or rancher... They are always farmers and ranchers.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

I get this often. I mean, I do like metal, and I have long hair and look the part, but the metal bands I like are not what the average person thinks of when they think "metal." I always get dudes at the bar trying to talk to me about Slayer or Lamb of God or 5FDP. Case in point the other day a guy came into the bar and point blank asks what kind of metal bands I'm into and I pointed at my SUNN hoodie. He didn't even know they were a band, but I asked him back to make polite conversation and Black Dahlia Murder was his favorite band. I acted interested because it's part of my job, but it was pretty funny to watch his reaction as he realized I was not the guy he thought I was.

Another time I was out front smoking a joint in my patch jacket which is like, anarchist shit and punk/doom/post metal bands, and this dude was like "cool jacket, I have one like that, but mine has a bunch of metal bands on it." He wasn't trying to be a dick, just making honest conversation, so I didn't bother correcting him. I was just like "wow man that sounds rad." I thought it was very funny, I've had a lot of goofy interactions wearing that jacket and that one will always be a treasured memory.

While I'm storytelling, another favorite patch jacket moment was when I was in line for an Electric Wizard show, and saw a dude a dozen folks ahead of me with the same exact Bongripper back patch on a denim jacket, same height, same long brown hair, same black baseball cap, same black Levi 511s, and then I looked behind me and saw a bunch of people also noticing us being fucking twinsies lol. I don't think he ever knew but I pointed it out to my wife and we had a real good laugh. Godspeed brother.

Also, D&D and Magic the Gathering are rad.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
The stereotyping goes the other way too. I've had some random guy ask me about a Metal T-shirt I'm wearing and then find out he's into the Band himself.

In my mind, I think of course, you're a Metalhead, you're well dressed, clean cut, short haired and look like the lead singer of All That Remains...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
The stereotyping goes the other way too. I've had some random guy ask me about a Metal T-shirt I'm wearing and then find out he's into the Band himself.

In my mind, I think of course, you're a Metalhead, you're well dressed, clean cut, short haired and look like the lead singer of All That Remains...
A lotta times I wanna talk to people when I see a certain band or music gear logo on someone's tshirt or whatever. But I rarely do. Maybe a guitar brand and I'll ask what they got. But lol I don't wanna come off as overly interested about some rando person's hobby/ trade. Head nod or "cool shirt" are about all that I'm good for most of the time.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
A lotta times I wanna talk to people when I see a certain band or music gear logo on someone's tshirt or whatever. But I rarely do. Maybe a guitar brand and I'll ask what they got. But lol I don't wanna come off as overly interested about some rando person's hobby/ trade. Head nod or "cool shirt" are about all that I'm good for most of the time.
I have made a few friends that way. One guy approached me and my buddy at the bar because of my Bongripper patch and we are still besties. Last summer a guy yelled at me across the street about my Author & Punisher shirt, he's a real cool dude and we are also now good friends. I'm often inclined to let it slide, though....

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I can remember 4 times someone's commented on my shirt.

Once, shortly after Columbine, someone pointed out my KMFDM shirt while I was leaving work and had my button-up uniform shirt open, and called me a "commie nazi fag" before punching me.
1713675478094.png

One creepy old man pointed to my Rob Zombie shirt, got a big gross smile on his face, and gave me two "thumbs up" before rubbing his chest and crotch as we passed each other on the sidewalk.
1713675341437.png

Not band-related, but someone pointed to me as we walked past each other, and in a high-pitched voice, shouted, "No springs!", which is a repeated line from a 1940 educational film about springs, called "A Case of Spring Fever". I responded with Coily the Spring Sprite's trademark squeaky laugh.
1713675643022.png

I was at a The Frames (an Irish indie rock band) concert, and at one point in the show, the singer, Glen Hansard (also of The Swell Season) was leading the audience in a simple "la la la" sing-along. He looked at me, stopped singing and held his hand up for the audience to also stop. He continued looking at me and said, "I'd like to address the young man on the Motorhead t-shirt. I can't tell if you're actually singing, or just mouthing along, but either way, sir, I respect that you're here."
1713676163397.png

Reaction score
Roofing contractor was here last week going over our insurance claim and we had been outside the whole time. I mentioned something about playing guitar. And he lights up and says "Oh I play guitar too! What kind of guitar do you have?"

And I was like "It'll probably be quicker to just show you." So we come inside and I start showing him the ones I've got out on stands, like "This one is a DC700 7 string, and this one I swapped the bridge from a fat-50 to an SSL-5, and I replaced the trem on this one to a Gotoh 510, etc, etc."

And he's like "Ah. I play acoustic". So I asked him all about his acoustic and we talked about that for a while... brand, age, string gauges, etc. But man.. that was a real boner killer right there. I guess I just assumed when he said "guitar" that he was refering to electric.
The only acceptable answer to "I play acoustic" is "Get your pansy ass the fuck out of my goddamn house"

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
Oh if I see a cool shirt/hoodie/hat I'll at least acknowledge it. It usually depends on the situation, but sometimes I'll ask about it too. Here in Texas, most people are pretty friendly and will ask and carry on conversations about stuff like that.

My job is pretty laid back and sales related so I generally wear jeans, black or dark gray shirts with Metal/Rock Band, Skateboard or Import Tuner Cars. All kosher graphics...nothing too crazy or anything with curse words because I'm working with the public.