Comments on these blueprints?

• Thread starter DagMX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DagMX

Reaction score
EDIT: Minor update. Shape changed to be more like an RR. Tuner spaced out a bit more and routing shown in magenta.

guitarblueprints-2.png

Just drawing up some scaled blueprints of a guitar I plan to build if and when I get the time and space to do it.

What do you guys think?

Body: Alder
Finish: Black with red bevels
Neck: Thru-neck 3pc Maple 16" radius
Bridge: String through over TOM
Pickups: SD Blackout 7s standard sized
Fretboard: Maple with an inlay on the 12th fret.
Scale length: 27"
1 Volume and 1 tone pot. 1 3 way pickup selector.

I'm also thinking, and if its worth the money, to integrate a wireless system into it mainly because I don't trust devices hanging off my guitar when I'm moving around.

Everythings to scale(i think, unless I missed out on something...Im still new to using Rhino3d so I might have messed up a bit).

Hopefully in a few months I'll have some free time to try making it, otherwise I'll have tow ait till next year when I move to vancouver.

BTW, would the woods sound overly bright? I like the sound of alder for thrash and progressive and I already have an all alder guitar with maple fretboard and neck which I really like. But I'm not sure how the neck through would affect the sound since there would be a lot more maple

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I take it you've been lusting after the Caparison Orbit with this model? :lol:

Looks good. MY only concern would be those machineheads - are you sure they aren't going to collide with each other if you have big fingers and are winding? Do you use a stringwinder? That may not fit as well. :scratch:

Maple and alder might sound toppy as fuck as well, but I'm not sure - I haven't really tried that combination before. But alder is a great body wood. :agreed:

Integrated wireless system sounds very much like Street Guitars too. :lol: Interesting mix of concepts you have going here, and I quite like it.

Go for it!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
maple and alder sounds great together, its what Jackson uses most of the time for their USA models if I recall.. I know my new custom being made by Chris Woods is using Maple neckthru Alder wings. I love that combo.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
The headstock looks little too thin and for my taste :)

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the angle of the wings need to change a bit; keep the apex of the cutaway the same, but maybe change the design so that the upper wing is a bit less perpendicular to the neck and the lower wing moreso, you'd probably have to shorten/lengthen them a bit after that. Either way, looks pretty decent:yesway:

robanomoly

ss.org newcomer
Reaction score
As previously stated, the tuners look rather close together.

How does the neck humbucker wire get to the controls?

How is the bridge grounded?

DagMX

Reaction score
Shape looks a little odd, like the lower horn should be wider IMO.

Wider? I'll try it out. And to everyone, thanks for the input. This is going to be my first build so to make it perfect I want everything as perfect as possible in the preplanning. I guess its ambitious for a beginner(?), but I got 6+ months to kill so I can go slow.

I take it you've been lusting after the Caparison Orbit with this model? :lol:

Looks good. MY only concern would be those machineheads - are you sure they aren't going to collide with each other if you have big fingers and are winding? Do you use a stringwinder? That may not fit as well. :scratch:

Integrated wireless system sounds very much like Street Guitars too. :lol: Interesting mix of concepts you have going here, and I quite like it.

Go for it!

LOL, i hadnt heard of that particular model, but now that you mention it. Actually, I was going for a Jackson RR7 with a reversed ibanez headstock but I messed up the headstock shape but liked what I got.

As for string winder, I dont really use one much, but I've got slender fingers so tuning up shouldn't be a problem. The way I see it, it isnt actually much smaller than the distance between thr tuners on some guitars I've played which is fine wth me.

And yes, the wireless system idea was from street guitars.:D

maple and alder sounds great together, its what Jackson uses most of the time for their USA models if I recall.. I know my new custom being made by Chris Woods is using Maple neckthru Alder wings. I love that combo.

Oh, please tell me how that works out once you get it. I love alder for its sound and maple for its feel. Its the perfect combo for thrash, but in large amounts I'm still not sure.

I think the angle of the wings need to change a bit; keep the apex of the cutaway the same, but maybe change the design so that the upper wing is a bit less perpendicular to the neck and the lower wing moreso, you'd probably have to shorten/lengthen them a bit after that. Either way, looks pretty decent:yesway:

I didn't fully understand that..Basically, decrease the angle between the wings?

As previously stated, the tuners look rather close together.

How does the neck humbucker wire get to the controls?

How is the bridge grounded?

Yeah, they are pretty close together, but as long as the distance is just enough, I'd be willing to compromise for aesthetics sake. But thats something I'll see once I get the build going, whether I can effectively distribute them out a bit more without them interfering with each other. Right now its more of a rough fit.

I haven't worked on the routing diagrams or electrics yet. This is just a front template. I'll work on the sides, back and internal once I finalize the outer shape completely.

I was thinking just a simple drilled hole between the neck and bridge would let me get the wire through. Then I could take both wires through the bridge wire rout. Like I said, this is my first build so Ill probably ask for a lot of help once I start. A similiar hole under one of the bridge pieces should let me get it grounded.

And how would I calculate the thickness of the neck at the nut and last fret? I'm planning to build it exactly to my kramer 16" neck.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd have the same concern about the crowding on the headstock. But, I've got big paws.

I'd also be concerned that the headstock will be strong enough. Seems mighty thin. I suppose it's all long grain so maybe there aren't to many concerns but 7 strings pulling on such a thin piece.....:ugh:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd probably redesign the headstock to have a straight string pull. Not entirely needed, but IMHO always looks better and helps with tuning stability. Overall a cool design :yesway:

DagMX

Reaction score
I'd have the same concern about the crowding on the headstock. But, I've got big paws.

I'd also be concerned that the headstock will be strong enough. Seems mighty thin. I suppose it's all long grain so maybe there aren't to many concerns but 7 strings pulling on such a thin piece.....:ugh:

I redid the spacing to more suit a strat-style guitar like my current kramer, so i dont think that should be too much of a problem.

As for thinness, I could make it a bit wider, but a blackmachine and parker fly both look to have similiar headstocks and manage to sustain the tension. But yeah, im a little worried too. But its such a nice headstock..:'(

lailer75

Smart Dumby
Reaction score
looks great except the headstock. i really like your take on the RR body, very nice

DagMX

Reaction score
I'd probably redesign the headstock to have a straight string pull. Not entirely needed, but IMHO always looks better and helps with tuning stability. Overall a cool design :yesway:

I could redesign it but I that would change the whole thing quite a bit. Besides, I havent had too many tuning problems, and it'll be tilted back so I think that does decrease the need for a straight-pull(correct me if im mistaken though...im still a noobie)

and I shall commence finding resources from november 15th as soon as my A levels are over. Should start proper work in december and hopefully have it ready for when I shift to vancouver.

looks great except the headstock. i really like your take on the RR body, very nice

thanks:d what would you change about the headstock though? I quite liked it, but Im totally open to suggestions..

I redesigned the headstock a bit. It resembles hetfield K.L explorer a bit now. Its thicker and spacing is taken care of. String pull is a little more straight. I'm not too sure about it though. SHould I try and get it so that the higher strings are straight too? Or can I just leave it like this without it causing many problems?

headstock_1.png

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Wider? I'll try it out. And to everyone, thanks for the input. This is going to be my first build so to make it perfect I want everything as perfect as possible in the preplanning. I guess its ambitious for a beginner(?), but I got 6+ months to kill so I can go slow.

Its a very well thought out first build. The prints look professionally done and make everything much easier to visualise and hypothesize over. Thanks for sharing :D

LOL, i hadnt heard of that particular model, but now that you mention it. Actually, I was going for a Jackson RR7 with a reversed ibanez headstock but I messed up the headstock shape but liked what I got.

The Caprison Orbit is this:

orbit%20pro%20BLK.jpg

Oh, please tell me how that works out once you get it. I love alder for its sound and maple for its feel. Its the perfect combo for thrash, but in large amounts I'm still not sure.

I've got an RR with Alder, but the maple is a veneer so it doesn't affect the tone of the guitar for shit.

I have EMG's in mine, and it sounds epic - but thats the EMG's doing the work there I think. My other alder guitar, my RGX121, has an SD Invader, so I havent heard naked alder in a long time. :lol:

DagMX

Reaction score
Its a very well thought out first build. The prints look professionally done and make everything much easier to visualise and hypothesize over. Thanks for sharing :D

The Caprison Orbit is this:

orbit%20pro%20BLK.jpg

I've got an RR with Alder, but the maple is a veneer so it doesn't affect the tone of the guitar for shit.

I have EMG's in mine, and it sounds epic - but thats the EMG's doing the work there I think. My other alder guitar, my RGX121, has an SD Invader, so I havent heard naked alder in a long time. :lol:

Thanks

Ooh thats a beautiful V...I wonder how I missed that one...I love the looks of all caparison bodies but the clock inlays and devils tail headtock kinda throw me off...but if someone would buy me a horus:D

As for tone, I think I'lll stick with alder and maple unless someone can tell me why its not a good idea. My kramer is already a bolt on alder with maple neck and sounds awesome so I guess a little more maple shouldn't hurt.

Now just to find a place in this city where I can get maple and alder.

BTW, is wenge a good wood for the center piece of the neck? any other wood you guys would recomend?

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Wenge rules. :agreed:

I love the Caparison inlays and headstock, but hate that shape - its a horrible Elephant Man in their range :lol:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1) That body looks HUGE.

2) The headstock looks really odd and unless you're planning on seriously reinforcing it with carbon fibre or metal, it will break under tension. Guaranteed.

EDIT: The redesigned headstock is better, but i'd still adjust the angle a bit so the strings don't splay in such an odd way. I quite like the shape, but the orientation of the tuners and the lines the strings make to get to them make it look really odd.

DagMX

Reaction score
1) That body looks HUGE.

2) The headstock looks really odd and unless you're planning on seriously reinforcing it with carbon fibre or metal, it will break under tension. Guaranteed.

EDIT: The redesigned headstock is better, but i'd still adjust the angle a bit so the strings don't splay in such an odd way. I quite like the shape, but the orientation of the tuners and the lines the strings make to get to them make it look really odd.

EDIT: Redesigned the headstock for straighter strings. Its angled less and is a little flatter at the curves. I'll take care of spacing once I start building, since I'll get a better idea then.

headstock-1.png

and as for the body, I always wanted a big V shaped guitar. I love big guitars

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool design! I don't know about the headstock though, I think a nice ESP style pointed headstock would look badass. :metal:

')