Companies and Suprises

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
So in light of the whole EBMM Majesty thing, and VIK having a production USA thing starting up, and all the billions of things of this nature that have happened and will happen, I was interested in getting everyone's opinion on how companies tend to operate.

Just to break down my mindset here, when EBMM started talking about the Stallion/Majesty, my first response was "meh, who really cares?" and then they proceeded to put out tiny teaser pictures, which was just kinda irritating and then they released photos of it's final form after the whole photobucket thing, and my opinion didn't really change, and that got me wondering, why do companies bother doing this? Why not just be transparent with it?

I would have personally taken more interest if they had released development photos, and insights into the adjustments made from beginning to end, maybe even some of Petrucci's opinions on it etc - instead of leaving fans guessing rather fill them in.

Likewise with the VIK USA production line, why not just tell people who the USA manufacturer will be? Again ultimately do they really think it'll somehow affect the outcome so monumentally that waiting till NAMM will be some sort of gamechanger anouncement, when in fact in my mind it'll be more like when EBMM anounced the gamechanger?

Lots of companies do this, but today these were the immediate examples I could think of, now of course this is just my opinion, and I get that in the minds of people running these business' releasing this information with more grandeur at something like NAMM makes a difference, but to me it doesn't, and I'd be interested in hearing what the opinion of other forumites would be?

We represent a portion of the buying market, albeit not a particularly large portion, so spare me the SSO bubble speach, and I was just wondering how many other people on here sort of look at all this stuff and go "meh" :scratch: and would prefer more insight into the process rather than all this smoke and mirrors stuff?

The only reason I could think of is that in development you may not want someone else to copy you, but for a company like EBMM that really shouldn't be a concern at the end of the day, especially not with something like a signature guitar.

I'm just curious to see peoples differing opinions, in case there's something about my interpretation and mindset that is perhaps missing something here?

So please voice thine opinions! :D

TL;DR - Companies seem to think we care about their grand announcements, and marketting techniques, I don't, do you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Some people do, but I think what they don't release is that as it goes on it becomes more and more less of a marketing and just more and more annoying; to the point where the buzz fizzles out and no one cares besides revealing it at the right moment.

')