Companies that make tube preamps and power amps

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
I figure if I'm looking for an amp, I may as well look in the category of separate preamps and power amps too. But I don't know of many. As for preamps, I know of:

Mesa Recto recording pre/triaxis
ENGL tube preamps (too expensive though)
?

Power amps:
Carvin TS100
?

I'm just looking for suggestions. What sounds good in your opinion? For a power amp, I'm pretty sure I want a 2ch so I can have one with EL34's and one with 6L6's.

EDIT: Alright, I just found this preamp. And it looks realllly good. Has anyone played it, and how does it sound? Also what is the street price of it?

gp-3-02.gif

VHT Valvulator GP3!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
your search for a tube preamp ends here...

gp-3-02.gif

:lol:

i just sold mine on ebay for $750 + shipping

it sounds amazing, with a nice tube poweramp, it responds just like a great tube head. it is extremely unforgiving though. i like the use the term "lie detector" with it, as it will put out exactly what's put into... basically, it will pick up every flaw in your technique, but will reward you with incredible tone.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
dont people say that about a lot of tube amps, Ed? :lol: according to my jsx, i dont suck as much as i thought hehe

the carvin is a solid bet for a power amp. can be had for reasonable prices too.

ENGL pre's, that VHT, you've heard Chris's Digitech Artist clips, Triaxis.. an X3/GT-10..

your options open up a bit more if you're going rack... i plan on sticking with heads for a while personally

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
dont people say that about a lot of tube amps, Ed? :lol: according to my jsx, i dont suck as much as i thought hehe

:lol: true, but the GP3 moreso than any other amp/ preamp i've ever used... why do you think i don't have it anymore? j/k.

on a serious note though, Codyyy. the GP3 is pretty exceptional when it comes to all tube preamps. i would recommend it above all others :agreed:. the only reason i sold mine is because i'm just not a rack guy (when it comes to amps that is :cool:), as much as i try and force myself, i always go back to a tube head and a bunch of pedals.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
What is the price of a new GP3?

Also, is there anything I should know about "going rack"? If I was to get a VHT 2/90/2 power amp, would it sound EXACTLY like an Ulra Lead (I think that's what they're modeled after) or would there be pieces missing (tonally, or even real pieces)?

See what I'm getting at?

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
What is the price of a new GP3?

Also, is there anything I should know about "going rack"? If I was to get a VHT 2/90/2 power amp, would it sound EXACTLY like an Ulra Lead (I think that's what they're modeled after) or would there be pieces missing (tonally, or even real pieces)?

See what I'm getting at?

sounds like you're going for EXACTLY what i was going for when i got the GP3... while i haven't tried the GP3/2902 combo, the general consensus is that it's not 100%, but very close to a Pittbull UL or CLX :agreed:. and the GP3 is midi controllable as well. there are lots of threads (and clips!) on this topic on the VHT forum...

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
But you sold it...

there must have been something other than looks...

looks? not following you on that one :scratch:

i originally bought the GP3 becuase i absolutely fell in love with the Pittbull UL, i had to have one! :lol:. the GP3 popped up cheap and i grabbed it with the intention of getting a 2/90/2 or 2150 power amp for it...

not too long after i bought the GP3, a Brunetti Pirata 141 Impact showed up on ebay for a ridiculously low price and i jumped on it. figured i'd give it a shot, if i didn't like it, i knew i could make my money back and the GP3 or Pittbull UL were the amps for me... i liked the Brunetti better than both. amp search over :agreed:.

financial reasons were also a factor with selling the GP3 too :noway:. i'd love to pick another one up someday!

i wouldn't have recommended it to you if there was something i didn't like about. i have nothing to gain by lying to you :nuts:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
it sounds amazing, with a nice tube poweramp, it responds just like a great tube head. it is extremely unforgiving though. i like the use the term "lie detector" with it, as it will put out exactly what's put into... basically, it will pick up every flaw in your technique, but will reward you with incredible tone.

Wow, I better not buy one then, ever! :rofl:

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
I'm relatively sure that if I go rack, that's the preamp for me.

So does it come with a footswitch, or do you have to buy a midi foot controller?

Also, what would be a good power amp (for this preamp)? I know some will say the 2/90/2, but that's another $1200 I'm not quite willing to spend. I've heard good and bad things about KT88's. What about the Carvin TS100?

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
I'm relatively sure that if I go rack, that's the preamp for me.

So does it come with a footswitch, or do you have to buy a midi foot controller?

Also, what would be a good power amp (for this preamp)? I know some will say the 2/90/2, but that's another $1200 I'm not quite willing to spend. I've heard good and bad things about KT88's. What about the Carvin TS100?

alot of people seem to like the TS100... i can't speak too highly of it personally as it blew up on me about 3 months after i got it :noway:. it basically cut out on me and i saw some black smoke come out of it :noplease:, can't say i've ever had that happen with any other amp i've owned :lol:. technical problem aside, i just think it's an ok poweramp, very transparent sounding and really not loud enough at all.

i used a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp with the GP3 for a little while and it sounded pretty good, but the GP3s voicing just begs for KT88s or 6L6s IMO.

a VHT power amp would be your best bet with it. maybe a 6L6 powered Mesa would be a good match too.

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
Just when I thought I would have some money for a bit, eh.

How much do Mesa power amps usually go for?

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
I had a mesa 2:100, it was a fucking MONSTER. I bought it for 850 and sold it to a board member for 800(autofate). It was a awesome power amp, i had a mackie that i ran a xtlive through, it sounded pretty good, but when i slapped that mesa in the mix, it was pure sex.
If line 6 didnt butt fuck me, i would probably still have that rig:noplease:
You can get a 2:90 for a little less, and a 50/50 for about 4 or 500ish

Codyyy

The Flip-Flopper
Reaction score
I had a mesa 2:100, it was a fucking MONSTER. I bought it for 850 and sold it to a board member for 800(autofate). It was a awesome power amp, i had a mackie that i ran a xtlive through, it sounded pretty good, but when i slapped that mesa in the mix, it was pure sex.
If line 6 didnt butt fuck me, i would probably still have that rig:noplease:
You can get a 2:90 for a little less, and a 50/50 for about 4 or 500ish

I take it you mean used. Nice!

The 2:50 looks very intriguing (I assume that's not the same as the 50/50 - discontinued?). Except the site isn't clear, can the channels be bridged? It says something about offering a full 100 watts, but there's no switch or anything as far as I can see.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
not sure, it might be mesa has the 2:50 and peavey has the 50/50, i dont think you can bridge them, its basically 2 separate 50 watt channels, if you wanted to bridge them you could just do what i did, i bought a Y cable and Y'ed my single input into both channels, it worked fine

Edit: yea, i ment used, if you buy anything mesa new, your gonna be taking a big hit compared to the used market

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Obviously the VHT GP3 is awesome and I'd recommend that. I also like the Mesa Triaxis/2:90 combination but I prefer VHT.