Comparison clips for y'all (POD Farm versus Nick Crow 8505)

• Thread starter Harry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just decided to put this little thing together.
Before I continue, credit must go towards JeffTD for the DI tracks and backing tracks, it's not actually my own backing track and playing here.
The re-amp (and to an extent, the mix) is mine though
The song is Rose of Sharyn, extremely well played on guitar by Jeff and he programmed the drums pretty damn well too.
Backing track was processed with multiband compression to shave off some of the harsh highs of the cymbals.

I tried to level match the clips fairly well. Not quite exact, but relatively close.
My aim was to somewhat capture the original vibe of the song with the guitar tone processing (fairly saturated, lower mid heavy)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1663306/Rose%20Of%20Sharyn%201.mp3 8505

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1663306/Rose Of Sharyn POD Farm Re-amp 2.mp3 POD Farm

It was very interesting to note how much post processing EQ I needed to get to that sound for 8505.
Both clips were high passed at 90Hz and I used saturation, but apart from that, there aren't really much similarities in the post processing department

The two outside 100/100 panned tracks are boosted at 250Hz by 7.5dB to really pump some lower mids in there and the two inside 80/80 panned tracks (the clips are all quad tracked) boosted at 350Hz by 6dB.
Further boosts at 4.5Khz, 7Kh and 8KHz were done on the 100/100 tracks, finally capped off with a low pass of 12KHz.
The 80/80 tracks had less severe boosting, with boosts at 4KHz and 7KHz, with no low pass filtering at all.
All 4 tracks were boosted before the amp sim via Tube Screamers Secret and then after the amp I placed Voxengo Boogex as an impulse host

It was interesting to note despite all that, I still couldn't get the lower mids that POD Farm had.
The POD Farm clip had no post EQ (and aside from saturation no other psot processing) at all besides a high pass of 90Hz and a low pass of 10Khz, yet it managed to sound bigger, more percussive and more saturated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
So which link is what?

Is the first link pod farm? or is the second link pod farm?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah I updated the first post. Says which is which

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
i like the clarity of the first, but the second,, though messy and fuzzier sounding had a lot more um... "bigness".

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
i didnt like the second one at all. sounding like a busted transistor radio to me. the first one was solid tho. :metal:

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Harry,

While I thought both tones were very, very good, I must say I liked the second one a little bit more than the first. It sounded a little more "organic", not to mention more "meatier" than the first one.

Valserp

Only plays 1 string
Reaction score
Is the POD sample clipping, or is it just me?
Think I liked the first one's clarity better... actually downloading 8505 right now.

pylyo

Reaction score
8505 sounds so much better to my ears. Tnx. Downloading.

Reaction score
Are you using the same impulses on both?

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude that Pod farm tone is horrendous! No offense, but this isn't a very fair comparison!

I thought so, too. The 8505 tone you've got is pretty nice. But Pod Farm can do so much better than that.

That aside, props for doing this. It's very helpful.

Sliggy

Reaction score
They both sound kinda Lo-Fi to me. I covered this song a while ago just with a PodXT and (well obviously because it's my mix I'm going to be a little biased) I think it sounds better than these :S

Peavey is the winner though.

Latest posts

')