Complete Dimarzio Pickup Routing Specs/Wiring Diagrams

• Thread starter TonyFlyingSquirrel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blkls

Reaction score
post #22 is for a seven string, will it be the same for an eight string?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Regardless of which model of Dimarzio pickup you have, so long as it is a 4-conductor wire lead, you should be able to use most of these diagrams, unless the scheme you're looking for is not posted.

I've seen requests for diagrams that are already posted. If you take a minute to look through the diagrams and their descriptions, I think you'll find one that suits you, for the most part.

For Example. METAL_WIZARD. The diagram you requested is the last one pictured in the beginning post (post #1) of this thread. All you have to do is omit the tone control.

Hope that helps.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
post #22 is for a seven string, will it be the same for an eight string?

If it's a Dimarzio, the wire color code is the same across the entire brand, regardless of 6, 7, or 8 string models.

The same principle is conversely true for Seymour Duncan, although they use a different color scheme than Dimarzio, but they are also the same for 6, 7, & 8 string models.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but id much rather bump this and bring good info back into the light than start a new thread.
However,
I'm trying to put Crunchlab/liquifire into my Agile 7 with one volume and a three way toggle. This Diagram looks correct for my situation, but im confused on whats going on with that toggle, the ground and wires that come from the pickups I understand but whats up with the random connection in the middle? Should I really just solder a connection on those two points? What does that achieve within the wiring? Sorry, a bit new with wiring. Thanks for any input and the awesome diagrams!

LP Toggles have the link in the middle than unites them to the hot connection of the potentiometer.

BMMA

Reaction score
W97051.gif

I have used this diagram lots of times before and it always worked perfectly... except for this time!!
I have an RG7620 right here with stock pickups.
The diagram is what I have soldered.
But on all positions, something weird was happening, so I removed and threw away the switch and replaced it.
I resoldered everything where it should be according to this diagram.
But STILL I'm having the same issues!!!

This is what the 5 switch settings do:
1: neck pup north coil + bridge pup south coil
2: neck pup south coil + bridge pup south coil
3: same as 2
4: no sound at all
5: bridge pup north coil

I don't understand what's happening at all!!
Does anyone know how to fix this or what is going on?

BMMA

Reaction score
By something "weird", can you describe please?
Have a sound clip?

It's like I said:
This is what the 5 switch settings do:
1: neck pup north coil + bridge pup south coil
2: neck pup south coil + bridge pup south coil
3: same as 2
4: no sound at all
5: bridge pup north coil

So it looks like I did something wrong, but I can't find any mistake.
I checked it again and again.
Also, it's the second switch this happens to.
Maybe a problem inside the pickups?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I don't think it is your pickups, because at one point or another, every coil has been accounted for.

The anomaly seems to be in position #4.

Have you confirmed that you did indeed wire in the jumper from Terminal #2 to Terminal #7 as shown in the diagram?

Is the switch that you purchased exactly the same as the one you replaced?
Sometimes, terminal assignments differ according to each manufacturer.

BMMA

Reaction score
I don't think it is your pickups, because at one point or another, every coil has been accounted for.

The anomaly seems to be in position #4.

Have you confirmed that you did indeed wire in the jumper from Terminal #2 to Terminal #7 as shown in the diagram?

Is the switch that you purchased exactly the same as the one you replaced?
Sometimes, terminal assignments differ according to each manufacturer.

I have jumpered from terminal 2 to terminal 7.

The switch I replaced was a switch with 4 terminals on each side, with a total of 8.
The new switch is exactly the one that is shown in the diagram.
However, I've had the same problem with both switches.

BMMA

Reaction score
I'm at a loss. From everything I see, it should be working.

That's what I thought!
But apparently, it doesn't.

Maybe someone knows enough about electronics to know which diagram will make the switch settings like this?
Then I must be able to find the short or whatever is wrong with my soldering.

BMMA

Reaction score
I couldn't find the problem at all, so I contacted DiMarzio and this is what they said:

Ibanez uses a special 5-way switch on their 2-humbucker guitars.
It has the same appearance as a standard 5-way switch, but internally it is not the same, and the connections in the diagram will not work correctly with a standard 5-way, which was intended for 3-pickup guitars.
The special switch is not available separately from Ibanez (or anyone else, to my knowledge), and it is not possible to wire a standard 5-way to do the same thing.
We have a multipole 5-way switch (EP1112), which can perform the same functions as the original Ibanez switch.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually have the exact same issues as the guy above with my Bowen. I removed the original Titans without actually paying attention to where they go and wired up the replacements according to a diagram of the weird switch. No dice - i have pretty much the same weird selections as the guys above. :\

Reaction score
I couldn't find the problem at all, so I contacted DiMarzio and this is what they said:

Ok, grave digging here, sorry, but I've managed to buy the Ibanez VLX91 super switch a few years ago, so, get in contact with your local Ibanez dealer and you're good to go.

BMMA

Reaction score
Ok, grave digging here, sorry, but I've managed to buy the Ibanez VLX91 super switch a few years ago, so, get in contact with your local Ibanez dealer and you're good to go.

Nice!
Going to have to try that!

By the way, for an update on the issue I had last year:
I came across another RG7620 and opened it up to see what kind of switch was in there.
It was a COR-TEK 2502N, which looks like a standard 5-way switch with 8 poles in a row, like Alpha's 5P, but is entirely different.

ChrisCDoom

Reaction score
I dunno if it's just me but I'm getting a "3rd part hosting temporarily disabled" on all the photobucket images in this thread. seems like helpful pics but even when I click it's saying the same thing in photobucket

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I dunno if it's just me but I'm getting a "3rd part hosting temporarily disabled" on all the photobucket images in this thread. seems like helpful pics but even when I click it's saying the same thing in photobucket

Because PhotoSucket now wants $300 a year to host their pics, and there's no practical way to redirect 15 years of forum photo's to a new host without going back to each post to relink each and every one individually to a new host.

Sogradde

Reaction score
I got this from the Dimarzio support yesterday because I asked why the Titans are taller than the stock TZ/AN combo in my prestige:

We are sorry that the entire set of dimensions was not visible on the website. The attached diagram shows the dimensions for most of our F-spaced models, including the Titans (DP258 & DP259). Please note that the Titan bridge model is taller than the Tone Zone, as it employs a larger magnet. This is the case with most of our high-output pickups. The Titan neck model is the same height as the Air Norton and Tone Zone.

This list should be up to date:
f_spaceddim.gif