Compressor in signal chain

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a compressor to my live rig, specifically to help with sustain and help notes pop more. Would this be the proper way? Any advice where it should go or what units to buy?

My chain goes guitar ->TC Tuner-> OD808->ISP Decimator->TC Hall of Fame Reverb->Chorus->Delay->6505

I try to keep it somewhat simple, just want to know where a compressor would fit for the desired effect.

(while I typed this I kept saying in my head goddamn I just need to buy an Axe-Fx haha)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
I think most guitar players run compressors at the beginning of their chain. I used to use an MXR Custom Comp, but after a while I found that I didn't need it. If you're running a lot of distortion, chances are you probably don't really need a compressor... Or at least that seemed to be the case for my rig, fwiw

JoeChugs

Reaction score
I think most guitar players run compressors at the beginning of their chain. I used to use an MXR Custom Comp, but after a while I found that I didn't need it. If you're running a lot of distortion, chances are you probably don't really need a compressor... Or at least that seemed to be the case for my rig, fwiw

I never really felt a need until I went from rhythm based playing to lead based. Does the MXR color the sound much? Would I need a second gate? I have an NS-2 lying around somewhere

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
No the custom comp is pretty transparent... Maybe emphasizes highs just a little bit. I don't think you'll need another gate if you've been playing without one. People I know who run two gates use them to get that ultra tight, staccato chugging kind of sound; the NS2 out in front to clamp quickly and the decimator at the end to clean up noise... So, unless that's part of your goal, the decimator should be good enough, it is an excellent noise reduction pedal after all.

meambobbo

Reaction score
as far as before or after your OD pedal, there is a slight difference to the tone. I find I like it after my OD (which is mostly just to act as a filter). Just be sure to compensate the gain/compression levels when comparing to avoid making a false conclusion - it's easy to get more compression due to a higher input level into the compressor and think it sounds fuller at first, then later you end up lowering the amount of compression and start wondering and have to redo your A/B testing.

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
When I used to have a Compressor, I ran it as follows:

Comp - ISP Decimator - OD - Smart Gate -> Amp

I also had a Custom Comp. Very transparent sounding. Added a bit of noise, but that's what the 2 gates are for. Like Gizmo, I realized after a while that I didn't need it. Plus, I switched from ENGL to an Orange, so my whole approach to tone changed as well.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I have my compressor right after my tuner and before my boost. I like it to be the first thing to react to my playing. It gets all the output and dynamics before any other pedals alter the signal. I use a diamond compressor which is very different from the MXR which I also owned. The MXR is ok but it colors the sound too much for me. I never used it. I hear the script version is much better. I'm also a true bypass believer. I then bought a keeley and it was way to obvious to me. THe diamond is an optical compression which are usually the most transparent compressors.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I've always favored compression earlier in my chain. The only thing I would run before a comp is wah, assuming I don't have a tuner in the chain.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Thing about pedal order, think about what it is exactly each pedal is doing to your sound. Do you want equal volume going into your distortion or do you want more dynamics with the output equal volume?

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
Sephael said:
Thing about pedal order, think about what it is exactly each pedal is doing to your sound. Do you want equal volume going into your distortion or do you want more dynamics with the output equal volume?

This seems logical. If you level out your signal pre-distortion, it seems to me like all your notes and chords will have the same amount of dirt since the peaks wont vary as much.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

JoeChugs

Reaction score

I suppose the latter, I like having more dynamics but want everything to stand out more at the same time.

A friend loaned me a Boss CS, im not a huge Boss fan but I'll toy around with it and report back.

Pav

???
Reaction score
If it's an unmodded Boss stompbox, be prepared for a drastic rise in your noise floor.