Conflicted over selling for "sentimental" reasons

• Thread starter Mordecai
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordecai

Reaction score
i have a 7321 i have a huge sentimental value with, but i just got the offer of buying a RG1527BP for a SUPER good price and i am all for the idea of owning a prestige ibanez, but the roadblock is selling something with sentimental value. and also the fact i just got a RGD7421.

what do ss.org? :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
i have a 7321 i have a huge sentimental value with, but i just got the offer of buying a RG1527BP for a SUPER good price and i am all for the idea of owning a prestige ibanez, but the roadblock is selling something with sentimental value. and also the fact i just got a RGD7421.

what do ss.org? :wallbash:

If the sentimental value over weighs the need for a 1527 then keep the 7321. Though what would you rather have, is the 1527 something you actually want spec-wise, also is it necessary for another 7 string ? imo play the 1527 and see if you like it, if you do then you know what your choices are.

JoeyBTL

Reaction score
Why can't you just have both? 7321s are cheap these days so I wouldn't think you'd make too much off of it. Thats one of the reasons I've never sold a few of my guitars that have sentimental value to me. I think they're pretty good guitars and they mean alot to me but the $150 or so I might get for them doesn't nearly cover what they mean to me so I just save a little bit more and get the next guitar I want.

BambusAirplane

hates binding
Reaction score
Hi, this would be my first post, it may seam a bit odd, but i think you should always keep the guitar with sentimental value, and if you have enough money buy the 1527. Even if you have lot of gear/guitars i feel hanging on ones you have some sentimental bond or anything similar are worth keeping. You should try/buy MIJ Ibanez if you can, and keeping your 7321 for whatever reason is something normal, and if it's of any comfort it wont generate much money sold, and buying another cos it's cheap wont make up for sentimental, RGD is different scale so it's not as you are hoarding, besides what's wrong in having few RG's :shred:
Sorry for my grammar and/or bad English as it's not my first language, and I'm a bit drunk :)

Mordecai

Reaction score
I have an RGD7421 and the 7321rg, the deal I'm getting on the 1527 is too good to pass up. The sale price of the 1527 would fund the difference for selling the 7321. Just oddly conflicted bout it

BambusAirplane

hates binding
Reaction score
Damn, don't know what to tell you then, you do get every thing that 7321 has with 1527, plus the tremolo, build quality and finish, and it may grow on you and become a familiar/sentimental guitar for you :) People had sold guitars that meant to them before, and you do have a fixed bridge with the 7421. I may seam to counter my previous post, but i say get the 1527, and if you can work ,borrow or something to keep your "close to heart" 7321, or just get the 1527, bond with her(yeah you should refer to everything you hold in your hands for long as "she"), or as vampiregenocide posted you could sell the RGD, as you have not "bonded" yet, as you can buy another later if you like

brett8388

Reaction score
What's the sentimental value on it? Was it a gift from a dear relative? Did you play your girl a song on it and get your first piece because of it?

If not, I'd sell it.

For years I kept my first guitars around - cheap Ibanez Roadstars - for "sentimental" reasons. They were cool guitars but far from the quality guitars I had added over the years. When I hired movers to move my collection from my old house to my new house, I was like "be careful with that one, it's $4,000"..."be careful with that one, it's 1 of 25 ever"...then I caught myself saying "don't worry about those - they're like $100 guitars".

I sold them both a week later and never looked back.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Sentimental value for basically all the gear I currently own (coupled with the fact that I just can't put any more money into this habit/hobby) is the only thing that keeps me off the gear flipping wagon these days. That's a good thing. I'd embrace it and keep the guitar you love.

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
I`m kinda friends with this player in town and he`s ALWAYS trading one guitar for another and ALWAYS regreting selling one or tradeing one off all the time,the poor guy is never happy with any guitar,except the old ***** or the ***** that he traded or sold.

regret is forever...

Mordecai

Reaction score
the 1527 is beautiful like brand new, im just nervous about the trem. ive never had a guitar with a tremolo. and not sure how to use/set one up. but the prestige ibanez idea really gets me stoked. i think if i dont jump on this score i might never get the chance again.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
If you can't stand the trem then either:
A. ask Max of metal how to set it up or
B. buy a tremol-no and forever live a happy live.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
If I were you, this would be my plan of action:

1. Sell RGD
  2. Buy 1527
  3. Buy Tremol-No and thicker strings
  4. Install
  5. Profit

Mordecai

Reaction score
who knows, maybe ill just be foolish and buy the 1527 outright and then keep all 3. i think its a bit overkill but it might be worth it in the long run.

Reaction score
Sentimental value is tough. Yet, once the guitar is gone, so is the sentimental value. If it really bothers you, read or watch Fight Club. 'The things you own end up owning you.' You are not the things you own...you are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Buy the 1527. Just buy it. Don't think about what to sell then buy it. BUY IT. THEN decide if you want to sell one of the three and which one. If you end up deciding to sell the RGD or you don't like the 1527, hit me up first!!

Latest posts

')