Conklin Groove Tools 7 string or Brice multi scale 5 for Sub bass? E0

BryanBuss

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Iam currently in the process of finding the best way to make a sub octave bass.

So at a local music store today, I found a groove tools seven string bass for $620 Canadian. That price seems pretty bananas!

My 20-year-old self from the past is really making me want to buy it, I just don't think I would utilize all seven strings, I really am just looking to make a sub octave bass after all.

E0
A1
D1
G1
Etc

It looks like the Conklin has a 35 inch scale, which can handle E0, but in reality a Dingwall or Brice multiscale would work better due to the low end reaching to 37".

There is a new price hike for Dingwall combustions, can't find any used, and the brice multiscale is currently out of stock, but apparently are restocking after the holidays.

Should I get this 7 string since (from my understanding) an amazing price?
Or just wait out to get a multiscale?

I'm feeling the multiscale. But dang, $620 for a Conklin?

Oh, and I definitely can't afford a 40" quake bass. I wish.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
The Conklin is 34" unless it has been changed very recently.
I would definitely recommend 37" for E0 - even then you'll need a .200 for good tension - Kalium will do well :)

BryanBuss

Reaction score
Ah that's right. Thanks Ethereal, Just checked the Conklin site, yup, 34".

Well it was cool to try!

Also, agile just got back and said thy will be putting out a multiscale 6 string in 2016!
Great idea about the 200. I can't wait to play so low.

Anybody have a good idea for the proper amplification for E0 range?

I was thinking Sans amp split into a powered sub and / or full range powered speaker.
Or even build a speaker cabinet - 18" single speaker.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
There will be more options this year for sure id hold off on the 7 especially if you don't intend on utilizing all the strings. I'm planning a build soon myself.I know carvin/kiesel just offered multi scale and plan to on bass soon Ormsby is planning on doing a bass run and there should be more options Svs guitars can do a custom that will be pretty crazy too under 2k

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
are there any instances of E0 recorded that youre trying to emulate? E0 achieved through scale length and E0 achieved through string gauge are 2 very different things

olejason

Reaction score

I was thinking Sans amp split into a powered sub and / or full range powered speaker.

Depends on the tone you're using. With a really overdriven mid-heavy guitar style tone you can get away with more traditional equipment since you're focusing on overtones anyway. For regular bass tones I have no idea. I don't know of anything on the market that could reproduce those notes. Pretty much everything would just be passing overtones.

How does E0 sound in a live mix? I wouldn't have much faith in a sound guy doing that tuning justice even with a nice system.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
Ah that's right. Thanks Ethereal, Just checked the Conklin site, yup, 34".

Well it was cool to try!

Also, agile just got back and said thy will be putting out a multiscale 6 string in 2016!
Great idea about the 200. I can't wait to play so low.

Nope, no, nonononono.

You should always try to match speakers in a bass amp system. Adding powered subs is foolish because on stage, you're going to be feeding the FOH mud, which will be fed back with more mud from the venues subs.

Speaker size DOES NOT equal low end reproduction. There are cabs with 10" speakers that sound deeper than some 15's and 18's I've heard. A single 18, however... it's just not going to sound great.

If you want awesome, full-range, bowel wrenching tone and not just flabby butt mud, you should look up the Greenboy fEarful line of cabs. They slay in the low end department, and being that they are a 2 or 3 way design, you get a lot more clarity than you would from a tradition bass cabinet.

olejason

Reaction score
They make cabs designed to handle E0?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah, add Greenboy Fearful/Fearless to that list. Rocking E0 very happily with my Fearful f112s

BryanBuss

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up finding a Dingwall! Combustion, really beautiful cream transparent finish.
I'll post a pic when it gets here!

I'll also check out the amps / cabs / designs suggested.

I've really only heard of Phil Jones, and I'm pretty sure I know a distributor for them here in Calgary.

Hearing some recordings of E0 would be sweet.
There really isn't enough, especially with so many Quakes floating around.

TheEmptyCell

Dingwall Player
Reaction score
Iron Blast, do you know if the really small Phil Jones work to handle E0?

Very generally, more speaker area is going to mean more volume given a similar amount of wattage being put into them.

That said, the Phil Jones stuff isn't really what most folks recommend for low tunings. Sure, they can handle a low B, from what I've read, but really they're better for standard tunings and especially for upright bass.

Also, their bigger cabinets don't offer any of the advantages of a "regular" sized cabinet like a Greenboy design (or something similar like Barefaced, Audiokinesis and other 2- or 3-way design cabinets).

Really, when considering price, size, and power handling, Greenboy is the way to go.

BryanBuss

Reaction score
Very generally, more speaker area is going to mean more volume given a similar amount of wattage being put into them.

That said, the Phil Jones stuff isn't really what most folks recommend for low tunings. Sure, they can handle a low B, from what I've read, but really they're better for standard tunings and especially for upright bass.

Also, their bigger cabinets don't offer any of the advantages of a "regular" sized cabinet like a Greenboy design (or something similar like Barefaced, Audiokinesis and other 2- or 3-way design cabinets).

Really, when considering price, size, and power handling, Greenboy is the way to go.

Awesome, thanks so much! That is very insightful. I really dig the greenboys.

So with Greenboy, do I contact one of their builders?

Latest posts

')