Conklin Owners?

• Thread starter Danukenator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DslDwg

Reaction score
That's because the djent crowd is filled with kids that want 100 dollar fan fret 9 strings that come pre loaded with axe fx 2s.

They have no interest in anything as expensive as a Conklin :lol:

haha well that's not exactly what I meant.

You look at many of the guys actually producing music in this genre and they have racks full of custom extended range guitars.

Of course for every one else there is Agile - oops did I say that out loud

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
That's because the djent crowd is filled with kids that want 100 dollar fan fret 9 strings that come pre loaded with axe fx 2s.

They have no interest in anything as expensive as a Conklin :lol:

Fuck you! I spat coffee all over the place! :rofl:

haha well that's not exactly what I meant.

You look at many of the guys actually producing music in this genre and they have racks full of custom extended range guitars.

It's usually a result of good deals, a few freebies, and whether the brands plan on projecting themselves on a given market to the point of investing in it in such a way. This goes for pretty much any genre, to be honest, and Conklin doesn't seem too keen on expanding the operation a lot.

Stan P

Reaction score
The materials and woodworking are among the best! The hardware on the guitar that, I had did not match the neck radius. It was a custom though, which I did not spec, so I do not know if it was ordered this way. If you custom order it, I am sure they will make anything you want. If you buy used, it may be not the best for you, but very cheap compared to the price of new. They sell for like 20-30% of the original price. If mine was 7, I would have never sold it:)

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Besides the Ibanez Universe, Conklin was the first brand that really got me interested in ERG's. However, since ERG's started becoming more popular, I forgot about Conklin because you rarely hear about them or see their guitars. I remember when they were pretty much the only game in town concerning ERG's.

Reaction score
I remember when I was 14 and saw Charlie Hunter play, and "HAD" to get an 8 string guitar... Conklin and Novax pages were drooled over for months before I was forced to settle with seven strings... In the back of my mind I still want one, though I still cannot afford it... So nice though.

Hyper-Rob

Reaction score
I owned one of his first 8 strings years ago. It was incredible. Sadly I let it go, because I was too young and head strong to have listened to his suggestions. It ended up not being quite right for me. (as I was warned about, haha) However, it was the most meticulously made guitar I've ever played. They also have stellar customer service. When I was interested in ordering a guitar, Bill himself went a few hundred miles out of his way after a guitar show in NY to bring me a handful of guitars to play. He's a great human, and an unsurpassed craftsman.

Recently had a chance to hang out and catch up with him. Still a top shelf dude.

They're expensive instruments, but if you have it, it's money well spent.

Cheers.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
So if one is on craigslist for 300 I should jump on it?

It's probably a groove tools for $300. They're still awesome, but they're the import version. Not the super high-end custom shop stuff.

I would still jump on it for $300, though.

Cody116

Reaction score
Oh okay!

It has a Purple Heart striped neck, Lundgren pickups, Neutrik locking jack and push pull pots.

downburst82

Reaction score
so ya..for $300 buy that...now!..go...now! buy it!

ps: it will be the groove tools import brand im positive, but thats still a awesome price. If they are real lundgrens they alone are worth $300

clubshred

Reaction score
Conklins are amazing - I have one of their custom shop guitars on order now. Should be delivered in the fall.

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
You my friend, are a lucky man! Specs??

Ever since I saw Nick van Dyk from Redemption play one of his custom Conklins, I was in love with the melted top concept.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to grab a custom 7 string sidewinder off of Ebay a couple years ago. It has a swamp ash back melt top (maple,wenge,lacewood) maple/purpleheart 5 piece multi laminate neck, gabon ebony fingerboard, hipshot bridge, sperzels, and Lundgren pickups. It specs out at $6300.00 I stole it for $1900.00, had Mike Lull refret and plek it with 6100 stainless frets. Total investment $2800.00. Great guitar and I hope to get another some day

You certainly got the better end of that deal, but thats the one problem with Conklin, their resale value is a fraction of the original cost. I don't think people who buy Conklins are particularly worried about resale value but its like Conklins are so unique and expensive that they are essentially "worthless." I know the used high end guitar market is not exactly thriving at the moment but Conklins have always seemed to sell for much less than they are "truly" worth.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You certainly got the better end of that deal, but thats the one problem with Conklin, their resale value is a fraction of the original cost. I don't think people who buy Conklins are particularly worried about resale value but its like Conklins are so unique and expensive that they are essentially "worthless." I know the used high end guitar market is not exactly thriving at the moment but Conklins have always seemed to sell for much less than they are "truly" worth.

I don't really think Conklin are any worse than other niche builders in the same price league. Look at Alembic for instance.

clubshred

Reaction score
You my friend, are a lucky man! Specs??

Ever since I saw Nick van Dyk from Redemption play one of his custom Conklins, I was in love with the melted top concept.

I know this thread is a bit old so I apologize for resurrecting - and, I was in a little bit of a holding pattern with this build. With that said... to answer the spec question, here goes:

• Custom Sidewinder 8-string fanned-fret
  • Low side = 25 1/2" and high side = 22 3/4"
  • Perpendicular fret at the 14th fret
  • Bolt-On construction
  • 4+4 headstock design
  • Sperzel Tuners
  • Basswood/Quilted Maple Top
  • 5-piece maple/purpleheart neck
  • Birdseye maple fingerboard
  • 6100 stainless steel frets
  • Luminlay side-glow dots
  • DragonBurst (light green to sapphire blue)
  • Black hardware (may go with gold because of the finish)
  • Black back (matches my McNaughts and Suhrs)
  • Strung Low-B to High-A - tuned half-step down (B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A)
  • 26 frets - yes, 26. Lowest note would be B on the low-B string and highest note would be a B on the 26th fret of the high-A string.
  • Lower cutaway "moved in" slightly to accomodate the extra two frets
  • ABM single-string bridge (was gonna go with a multi-scale Kahler but decided against it)
  • Lundgren pickups (the bridge pickup will be tilted to line up with the ABM bridge and the neck will be perpendicular to the neck)
  • Electronics: 5-way super switch set up, single volume, EMG BTC control on the neck pickup only, kill switch

That's about it... I'll post a NGD when I get it for sure!

:hbang:

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I'm literally frothing at the mouth! I can't wait to see the final product. Conklin is my "someday" brand.

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
Wow, that is surely an impressive set of specs. I'm sure Conklin is going to build you a monster of a guitar, can't wait to see it!

clubshred

Reaction score
Wow, that is surely an impressive set of specs. I'm sure Conklin is going to build you a monster of a guitar, can't wait to see it!

Those guys are awesome indeed. Customer service from them is incredible. This is basically the last of my "GAS" guitars! It'll take something pretty huge to top this.

')