Considering My First Ibanez 6 String - Need Some Advice

• Thread starter 46andTWO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s4tch

Reaction score
+1 on the Satriani models.

Also, the RT series have a thicker neck for an Ibanez. It is still a thin neck, but not super thin like an old Wizard. I'd say it's like a thin C, like a thin Fender neck, but with 24 frets. AFAIK they kept the same neck profile for the Andy Timmons sigs.

AX series, Artists, S-Classics, Talman, Fireman models have a thicker neck, too. You may want to check the Ibanez wiki for further information: List of neck types - Ibanez Wiki

BTW, I've had an RGA121, and it is not thick by any means. Great guitar, though.

Jack Secret

Reaction score

I may not play Ibanez anymore but I think 25 years of playing all different models gives me some objectivity and I think the RG550 is the best non signature Japanese model Ibby there is. Well, .... it, I'm going all out and say it's the best (annnnnnnd now I'm banned on Jemsite :p).

The reissues were damn fine guitars. You find the yellow or the red and you would be happy. If you don't want maple neck, move up to the 770's.

Conversely, best overall Ibby in my opinion are USA custom square heel models with the wacky graphics or without.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
I may not play Ibanez anymore but I think 25 years of playing all different models gives me some objectivity and I think the RG550 is the best non signature Japanese model Ibby there is. Well, .... it, I'm going all out and say it's the best (annnnnnnd now I'm banned on Jemsite :p).

The reissues were damn fine guitars. You find the yellow or the red and you would be happy. If you don't want maple neck, move up to the 770's.

Conversely, best overall Ibby in my opinion are USA custom square heel models with the wacky graphics or without.

I've got a 550 reissue I've modded the $hit out of and I love it. Sold my J Custom, still have my 550 if that says anything. :yesway:

kuma

Reaction score
I guess the question we should be asking you is, what is it you want in an Ibanez? They make all kinds of guitars. Folks have listed some of the most popular models from the 'metal/hard rock' range, but one of the trademark features of those Ibanezes is the thin neck. Do you want a trem? Any particular pickup config? Body wood? Colors?

The neck profile on the RGT3120 was called the 'Ultra' profile, and was only available on a few different models. It's my personal favorite profile, so I've spent some time tracking them down. Some of the older Radius models used this profile, but be aware that they had slightly narrower nuts (42mm). It was brought back in the mid 90s with the 43mm nut as the 'J-Custom' profile, used mainly on the 12xx-18xx series J-Customs. These aren't made anymore, and were only available overseas, so they're tougher to track down. It was then brought back as the Ultra profile, though with the 43mm nut, when the Double Edge piezo models were introduced. These included the RG2020x, S2020x, RG2120x, S2120x, and their J-Custom variants (RG6CST and S6CST I think.)

As others have noted above, sig models are another good place to look. The old Petrucci JPM profile was very similar to the original Ultra with 42mm nut. The JS necks are also good, but have a 42mm nut and a much rounder 9.5" radius fretboard. JEM necks are also a bit thicker, though not as thick as the Ultra, and be aware there are several models (VSK,VDY,PBK,DBK,90th, and DNA) with thin Wizard necks.

If you just want a MIJ Ibanez and don't care if it's a 'shredder' guitar, check out their other lines. The Artist guitars are fantastic LP-ish guitars. They make some very nice hollowbodies. There are other older lines like the SC and AX series that have thicker but very different necks.

46andTWO

Reaction score
I guess the question we should be asking you is, what is it you want in an Ibanez? They make all kinds of guitars. Folks have listed some of the most popular models from the 'metal/hard rock' range, but one of the trademark features of those Ibanezes is the thin neck. Do you want a trem? Any particular pickup config? Body wood? Colors?

The neck profile on the RGT3120 was called the 'Ultra' profile, and was only available on a few different models. It's my personal favorite profile, so I've spent some time tracking them down. Some of the older Radius models used this profile, but be aware that they had slightly narrower nuts (42mm). It was brought back in the mid 90s with the 43mm nut as the 'J-Custom' profile, used mainly on the 12xx-18xx series J-Customs. These aren't made anymore, and were only available overseas, so they're tougher to track down. It was then brought back as the Ultra profile, though with the 43mm nut, when the Double Edge piezo models were introduced. These included the RG2020x, S2020x, RG2120x, S2120x, and their J-Custom variants (RG6CST and S6CST I think.)

As others have noted above, sig models are another good place to look. The old Petrucci JPM profile was very similar to the original Ultra with 42mm nut. The JS necks are also good, but have a 42mm nut and a much rounder 9.5" radius fretboard. JEM necks are also a bit thicker, though not as thick as the Ultra, and be aware there are several models (VSK,VDY,PBK,DBK,90th, and DNA) with thin Wizard necks.

If you just want a MIJ Ibanez and don't care if it's a 'shredder' guitar, check out their other lines. The Artist guitars are fantastic LP-ish guitars. They make some very nice hollowbodies. There are other older lines like the SC and AX series that have thicker but very different necks.

These are thought provoking questions, and I appreciate it. What I don't want is another LP-style guitar. I already have three LP's. I'm really just wanting to add a nice (but not bank breaking) Japanese Ibanez to my collection. It won't get a ton of play, but when it does, it will be hard rock and metal and I want to enjoy playing it. Since I know little about them, I thought my best bet would be to ask. It sounds as if the Ultra neck with 43mm nut will fit the bill. So I may begin searching for a nice RG2020 or RG2120. I'll decide once I know what the difference between the two is, unless a nice RGT3120 pops up first.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

kuma

Reaction score
The 2120s had mildly-improved electronics for the piezo over the 2020 - a 2 band EQ for the piezo, and the 2-way switch to select between magnetic and piezo outputs was replaced with a 3-way switch to allow you to run the magnetics and piezo at the same time. Some of the later 2120s will also have the Double Edge Pro bridge instead of the Double Edge, but the differences between the two aren't worth worrying about IMO.

For what you're interested in, I'd also suggest giving the JS series a shot - the necks are more Strat-like, but they're readily available new if you wanted to try one out at a store first. JS1s and JS1000s can be had very cheaply used (about $800).

')