Considering My First Ibanez 6 String - Need Some Advice

• Thread starter 46andTWO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

46andTWO

Reaction score
First post here, and I know little about Ibanez other than the reputation. I want to add one to the collection, and I want it to be Japanese. What I don't want is a super thin neck. From research, it seems the RGT3120 is very popular with a neck that is not overly thin. Yes, I am aware "thin" is a relative term. If it helps, I prefer '60's LP necks, and Pattern Thin or Wide Thin PRS necks.

What is your opinion, and what other options are there, as a near mint RGT3120 seems pretty hard to find?

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nicktao

Reaction score
RGA121, they probably have a few used at GC Used right now.

46andTWO

Reaction score
RGA121, they probably have a few used at GC Used right now.

That is another guitar that seems to be highly regarded. I'll look at GC online.

I really appreciate the input. Anyone else?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
If you're into necks like those, you'll feel more at home on those RGT's. The RGA has a nice comfy neck, but it's still relatively on the very thin side, same with the 550's. But I would definitely look or ask around for a secondhand RGT, those things are really killer. I would have bought one I saw locally, but there were more dings than was described and I didn't want to buy it because of that.

46andTWO

Reaction score
If you're into necks like those, you'll feel more at home on those RGT's. The RGA has a nice comfy neck, but it's still relatively on the very thin side, same with the 550's. But I would definitely look or ask around for a secondhand RGT, those things are really killer. I would have bought one I saw locally, but there were more dings than was described and I didn't want to buy it because of that.

Any particular RGT's that you recommend?

Thanks

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I have an RGT42DX and the neck is a tad rounder. Actually tryina unload it.

46andTWO

Reaction score
I have an RGT42DX and the neck is a tad rounder. Actually tryina unload it.

Post some pics. I don't know how many posts are required for PM's to work, but I would like to see it.

Thanks

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
As stated before the RGA121 is amazing, especially for the price, but the neck is pretty thin on it. I'd try one out (or another guitar with same/similar neck) before buying one.

46andTWO

Reaction score
As stated before the RGA121 is amazing, especially for the price, but the neck is pretty thin on it. I'd try one out (or another guitar with same/similar neck) before buying one.

Thanks. I guess if I found one for the right price, I could always get out of it if it didn't suit me.

Chuck

Reaction score
RGA121's rule. The necks are thin, but not insane thin like a RG550. The profile is just a thin C I'd say. If you like the pattern thin, or wide thin then I'd say the Wizard II is a good choice. That neck comes on a lot of Indo-Ibanez's

RevelGTR

Reaction score
The Gibson Slim 60's profile is my fav as well, and I really liked the RG770 reissue I had, the necks have a similar flavor, with the Ibanez being a bit "flatter" feeling.

tmfrank

Reaction score
To add onto the 321 advice, it has VERY wide shoulders, so unless you're into those kinds of necks I wouldn't recommend it.

But if you are, go for it!

Chuck

Reaction score
To add onto the 321 advice, it has VERY wide shoulders, so unless you're into those kinds of necks I wouldn't recommend it.

But if you are, go for it!

If my understating of "shoulders" on a guitar neck is correct, than I certainly disagree with that statement.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
1) RGA121
2) RG3120
3) .....
4) Refer to 1 or 2.

I just picked up an almost mint RG3120TW from GC and almost dig it more than the last one I had. And for reference, I don't know if the RG3120T's have a slightly thicker profile than either the 121 or the 3120 (IIRC, they do), but the 3120 I just snagged has a neck that's thinner than I remember. And if you're looking for something on the order of a PRS wide thin, I'd say look elsewhere....

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
For neck through and japanese you might have some trouble. The RGT6EXFX is a pretty solid neck through, but its not japanese, its korean iirc. It also came in chameleon paint, which is hella rad.

Metal-Box

Gear Curator
Reaction score
If you are looking for something with a not-so-thin neck, Ibanez might not be for you. Even a fat superstrat neck on an Ibanez is thinner than than what I would call normal. You might have better luck looking at an ESP or Schecter (I know the Schecters are not Japanese, but thave good feeling necks). If you can live without the Japanese part, look at a USA Jackson Soloist SL1.

')