Constraints with current rig. Home recording.

neurosis

Reaction score
Hello all.

For a while I have been looking at possibilities to record myself at home after I had to part with my Axe-FX, my mice and all previous gear I was used to play with.

At my new place I have so far obtained good results with VSTs, AUs and just overall plugins, EQ and Compression in my DAW.

But I have had a lot of trouble when I decided to add some of my pedals between the Apogee and the guitar.

My modulation effects lack character and definition and I would dare to say they weaken the signal a bit while still doing the trick.

With distortion, overdrive and any type of dirt especially you can pretty much forget about it. All is fizzy and undefined, loose and just overall unappealing.

I have been looking into DI boxes and other solutions but it would be nice if you guys could suggest anything besides the AMT stuff to just record an amp-like tone without using microphones, since I can´t mic a cab in my current apartment .

I'd be glad to hear of any solution that allows me to still use all of my Redwire Impulses. Just something that stands between my guitar and pedals and the sound interface acting as a pre of some sorts, spicing up the signal and keeping its balls.

I should say that I am interested in recording Metal Tones with possibly tight low end and defined kids. But I guess I could get that with my EQ, so I just need a pre recommendation or a box that can do a similar function.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
I should say that I am interested in recording Metal Tones with possibly tight low end and defined kids.

That's not something I look for in my tone :fawk:

I know you've said you're already experimenting with VSTs, but have you tried LePou amp plugins? I own both Axe FX versions and I would not hesitate to use the LePou stuff with Redwirez impulses on an album :)

For overdrives/pre-amp distortions, perhaps try TSE Audio?

I would suspect that an impedance issue might be the cause of the tone loss between your guitar/pedal/interface, but I don't have enough experience/knowledge in that department to say much more about it :(

Given To Fly

Reaction score
But I have had a lot of trouble when I decided to add some of my pedals between the Apogee and the guitar.

I have been looking into DI boxes and other solutions but it would be nice if you guys could suggest anything besides the AMT stuff to just record an amp-like tone without using microphones, since I can´t mic a cab in my current apartment

What Apogee interface are you using? Is your signal chain guitar - pedals - interface?

Tech 21 is excellent for DI recording. The SansAmp pedal is basically a DI preamp and their actual amplifiers all have XLR Direct Outputs.

neurosis

Reaction score
That's not something I look for in my tone :fawk:

I know you've said you're already experimenting with VSTs, but have you tried LePou amp plugins? I own both Axe FX versions and I would not hesitate to use the LePou stuff with Redwirez impulses on an album :)

For overdrives/pre-amp distortions, perhaps try TSE Audio?

I would suspect that an impedance issue might be the cause of the tone loss between your guitar/pedal/interface, but I don't have enough experience/knowledge in that department to say much more about it :(

Hahhah. Yeah. I should edit that. I obviously meant mids. Thank autocorrect for that.

I am looking into the TSE stuff as recommended by you.

I love the LePou Stuff. I have nailed an ENGL tone I love for my 8 string and did some eq matching with Ozone to get close to Nevermore and Meshuggah tones respectively, I also love it with some of my Redwirez Impulses loaded in LeCab.

However, the pedals are the problem and they´re all good and I like to use them through my little Vox, but just can´t get them to work with the Digital setup.

neurosis

Reaction score
What Apogee interface are you using? Is your signal chain guitar - pedals - interface?

Tech 21 is excellent for DI recording. The SansAmp pedal is basically a DI preamp and their actual amplifiers all have XLR Direct Outputs.

Hi!

I am going from my Ibanez RG2228 or my Les Paul into Tuner > Compressor > Synth > Ring > Fuzz/Octave > Overdrive > Distortion > Chorus > Delay > Reverb and from there into an Apogee One.

My current DAW is Logic but sometimes I make loops in Ableton. I am using Lepou's ENGL and Recto AU or VSTs depending on the DAW and then Lecab with Redwire Impulses.