Contemplating Metal Music

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
The paradox of metal music: Mad and angry about something (in this case health insurance, no surprise there), put on some hard, angry music on the drive home (For instance, Lamb of God) = peace and serenity upon reaching destination.

I got bent over and fucked by Anthem health insurance today. put on some lamb of god on the drive home, started to feel better. Almost home, then see hippies everywhere for Phish show, start to think how the jam band/metal scene is closer than they appear (i've got into both).

Thank god for metal music. No other music gets me so pumped when i want it, or settles me down when i'm pissed. I'm gonna be flying the muthafuckin' horns when i'm 82 years old gawdammit!

anyway, that's all i wanted to share...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Yeah I always thought I was a weirdo when it came to that too. Like I'll be so angry and irate, but the minute I blast some of the angriest death metal I can think of, I calm way down and I'm more cool-headed. Perfect for someone with a hot temper like mine. It's funny because you'd think it would work the opposite way and make the temper worse. Nah, but my vocabulary for what I'd do to the person that pissed me off has become much more graphic. :lol:

Duelbart

Reaction score
I don't see it as a paradox, rather a normal thing. When I'm, angry I listen to Those Whom The Gods Detest and after a sweet while of really feeling the brutality flow through me I go back to normal. If I'm melancholic or desperate/sad, I put on some La Dispute and it is perfect to drown in emotional thoughts for some time.

Seems normal :scratch:

Also, since I'm at La Dispute, I will advertise, because it would be a crime not to

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
^^ghost LOL you pretty much just described to a tee what i just went through on my drive home. Writing the letter to the insurance company in my head, using words like "lube","bent over"..etc

i can see the "non-paradox" argument too...bottom line, it works.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Yeah when I'm really bummed, I'll throw on something like SRV - The Sky is Crying, and bawl my eyes out. I don't know why, but I feel better after I do. :nuts:

Meh, it helps and that's what matters to me. It did make me think I was crazy, so I can understand why I was always so curious as to why it happened. My first cd was ...And Justice For All, and at age 10, I'd play that while I went to sleep. It was cool because it actually relaxed me enough to pass out. :lol:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Actually I think ...and Justice For All was the first truly angry album i got into around age 14. Prior to that it was the Black Album, but justice makes that sound like "Unskinny Bop" or something.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I actually like to blast cannibal corpse on my stereo and kick back in my recliner when I feel like taking a nap. Puts me to sleep to fast:) And sometimes at night If I cant sleep, I usually put on some meshuggah or something to help me pass out. For some reason, metal is just so soothing for me:lol:

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
I'm not into most of the newer stuff in the metal scene, but ...And Justice for All is still my go to pissed off album. I've come home after many a shitty day with my ears ringing and my voice mostly gone :hbang:

If I'm upset, I put in some AAL (one of the few newer bands I like) or some Pink Floyd.

Its funny how your mood dictates your music, I was in a good mood today and I had the windows down blasting some Boston. Theres nothing quite like having an open road on a sunny day with Don't Look Back playing :agreed:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Devin Townsend put it the best:
"To someone who doesn't like heavy music, you can't explain to them why you like it." or something along those lines. I always just saw it as a "peace within the chaos" kind of thing.

bhakan

Reaction score
I do the same thing. Whenever I'm angry, I blast the most aggressive, pissed off music I can find. Heavy music seems to take the focus of my anger off of whatever made me angry, and it is instead redirected into the music and I run out of anger, and am left feeling great. Heavy music leaves me feeling great because it, in a sense, uses up all of my anger and leaves with nothing but good feelings, while pop tends to do the reverse and leave me angry. I've tried to explain it to non-metal fans, and they just look at me like I am a psychopath, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one who does that :yesway:.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
My pissed off/slightly doom and gloom moods album is Hollow Crown by Architects, which is good for me because by the end of the album when the self titled song comes on, I'm pretty much mellowed out and chill.

Reaction score
My pissed off album is "Alien" by Strapping Young Lad. Pretty much any of their albums are really heavy and angry... Devin's lyrics and vocals are just the epitome of 'pissed-the-fuck-off'. Once I listen to something like that, I feel so much more calm and collected.

nickgray

Reaction score

Yeah, this song (the whole album is pretty damn good actually) has recently reminded me that I still like conventional metal. It's just so badass.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score
I listen to metal when I'm angry as well. I also listen to metal while jogging or working. It seems to calm me... I don't know why.

Bevo

Reaction score
I do the same, also love to run with brutal music and punk.

If its a 4:30am run it's usually something folk or acoustic lol!!

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
My mood never changes (seriously :lol:) so I just listen to the same old stuff haha - not to say it isn't varied!

Latest posts

')