Contemplating selling my EVH 5153 and going the Axe FX route

• Thread starter AussieTerry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AussieTerry

Reaction score
I only play at home and 90% of the time to guitar pro tabs playing midi/rse, im always on the pc too when i play.

I have two little toddlers so i dont get much playing time.

Now my current setup is a EVH 5153 50w thru a captor and 2x12.

My options are I could sell my cab and just play the 5153 thru studio monitors and get decent tone or i could sell everything and either go with a used AXE FX 2 with some nicer monitors or buy a new AXE FM3 with cheaper studio monitors.

Ive tried pirating pc plugins to see what they are like but they dont wow me enough.

My last modeller years ago was a Line 6 a Hd300 and i dont think the Helix interests me enough, if i go this route it will be for longterm and i want to try get the best that i can get within my budget.

Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarded81401

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Keep the EVH for when you can/want to play the amp and buy a modeler? I have a FM9, Helix and Headrush but kept my 5153 2x12 combo and my Rectifier because sometimes I miss them. Also have an Orange Dual Dark on the way.

The current modelers are so much fun and let you play with so much gear you might not be able to even touch otherwise but sometimes I just "need" to get the real thing back out.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Keep the EVH for when you can/want to play the amp and buy a modeler? I have a FM9, Helix and Headrush but kept my 5153 2x12 combo and my Rectifier because sometimes I miss them. Also have an Orange Dual Dark on the way.

The current modelers are so much fun and let you play with so much gear you might not be able to even touch otherwise but sometimes I just "need" to get the real thing back out.
Out of sight out of mind. And when you barely play as is, firing up an amp is “the house is empty *and* i want to play guitar” only.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
Sold my 5150 for an Axe FX 2 (now on the 3), and it was the best decision for low volume home playing

AussieTerry

Reaction score
Id love a AXE FX 3 but they are like $5k here in Australia, i could get the FM3 FOR $2K plus id like having footswitches at my pc.

Is the FM3 same software n etc as the 3 just not as much CPU?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Sell the cab, buy a modeler, keep the amp for in the future when you inevitably want to get loud again.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Id love a AXE FX 3 but they are like $5k here in Australia, i could get the FM3 FOR $2K plus id like having footswitches at my pc.

axe is undoubtably going to be better but you could always try the free trial of helix native to see if you like helix modeling, as well. i think you might be surprised coming from an HD300 to that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
30xotn.jpg

owlexifry

Reaction score
my 2c:

why buy an axefx when you already have a computer with a DAW that can load any plugin you want.
buy some good headphones and you're done.

keep the amp and cab for occasions that require loud.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
The AxeFX is ridiculously powerful and sounds incredible (imo). The FM3 sounds just as good but is significantly less powerful. It can still do plenty so if you're not needing to get pretty crazy with a ton of blocks in presets you'll be fine.

I have an FM9 and I still have my 5153 50w stealth. It's a great setup allowing me to use either the FM9 through the computer or through the stealth (4CM or just into its fx loop). I love having both options.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 5150 and bavent turned it on in a month :lol:

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd suggest you try an FM9, as I believe it's the most convenient & powerful for your use case 😉

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

How much is a used axe3?

Bearitone

Reaction score
I say make the switch. You’re computer savvy and already get a satisfying tone through powered monitors. For you, AxeFX makes since imho

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
After using the HX Stomp and Helix LT for the last two years I just swapped over to the FM3, and as much as I loved the tones I was getting before, it’s seriously night and day. I’m not much for crazy effects chains, so it’s got plenty of power under the hood and the models are all way more satisfying and take less work to goose good sounds out of. Way better than all the PC plugins as well. Within the first week of having it I effectively recreated my old bands live rig of my Engl and his 5153.

:2c:

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
Yeah, go for it.

Or get a Helix or whatever (as much as I think the POD HD series is good enough, the Helix is better and way easier to use). Helix was released around 2015 and it still gets (big) updates.

There's plenty of options, we're lucky as guitar players.

You can always go back to the 5153 if you can't get into modellers.

')