Controller for use in Kontakt

• Thread starter Spinedriver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I have a keyboard that I was using but the usb port on it no longer works (the plastic peg in the middle broke off) & now it won't even power up anymore. :noplease:

My question is rather than get another big horkin' keyboard, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if something like this would work instead ?

xmd_9848cfb8804d03750e8eb95dcfd5f092.png.pagespeed.ic.EvFZE6bBo_.webp

Off hand, I'm thinking maybe not just because the layout might not co-ordinate with a typical keyboard that the program is looking for but if it would work it'd be much better due to it having more buttons & it's a much smaller size.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Pic doesn’t work. Direct link?

Can’t see what you’re thinking about but man; I seriously wouldn’t want to control Kontakt with anything less than at least a 61 key.

Granted we’re probably using different types of libraries.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Pic doesn’t work. Direct link?

Can’t see what you’re thinking about but man; I seriously wouldn’t want to control Kontakt with anything less than at least a 61 key.

Granted we’re probably using different types of libraries.

It's an Akai Ableton controller

61DYmK9ds0L._SX355_.jpg

The keyboard I have is a 49 key but I really don't have the space for anything bigger and since that one is more or less dead, if something like this would work, it has a lot more "keys" and is about 1/4 the size. I should also add that I don't really use Kontakt as a "keyboard" as such. I primarily use it to trigger the samples in Damage, so the layout for me really isn't that big of a concern as long as it'll work.

edit: The one I had previously posted was a Novation Launchpad mini but after reading a little bit, it only works with Mac OS.. :\ So I found this one that's in the same price range but will work with Windows.

Last edited:

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It will work - but it might take some time to get used to

I figured I'd ask here because the guys at the local music store that sell them have no clue. They know what controllers are & what they do but they have no idea which programs they will & won't work with. Since the launchpad has 64 "keys", as long as they follow a sequential order it might not be that bad.

edit: As I mentioned above, the Novation is a "Mac/iPad" only device. Would it be safe to assume that the Akai model would work the same way ? Like I said before, I don't use the program as a 'digital piano' or anything like that. I mainly just trigger samples & at the time when I first got it, the keyboard seemed like the logical choice because there's a "keyboard" on the bottom of the screen. If a pad like this'll work, it'll be a lot better for me because of the smaller form factor.

Last edited:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know for sure but as it's a clip launcher I doubt the APC has velocity sensitivity. They may even be click-buttons rather than pads, I don't know but that's something I'd make sure to find out about.

I think a Korg nano pad or similar would be your best bet for finger drumming. The APC isn't designed to be used as an instrument. The Launchpads are, but they have a slew of other limitations that still make them inferior for Kontakt, compared to a regular keyboard.

It's sad but I do believe the Ableton Push is the only grid controller that can really replace a standard midi keyboard, but unless you're an Ableton user it'd make no sense to spend all that money on a Push.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I don't know for sure but as it's a clip launcher I doubt the APC has velocity sensitivity. They may even be click-buttons rather than pads, I don't know but that's something I'd make sure to find out about.

I think a Korg nano pad or similar would be your best bet for finger drumming. The APC isn't designed to be used as an instrument. The Launchpads are, but they have a slew of other limitations that still make them inferior for Kontakt, compared to a regular keyboard.

It's sad but I do believe the Ableton Push is the only grid controller that can really replace a standard midi keyboard, but unless you're an Ableton user it'd make no sense to spend all that money on a Push.

Fortunately, the store is pretty good with returns, so I'll see what they do have and if whichever one I do get doesn't work, I can always just get another keyboard.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Update: I did get the Novation Mini and it does work which is good. The bad is that not all of the buttons coordinate with the traditional keyboard layout that it uses. So it looks like a crash course in midi-mapping might be in my near future... lol...

billinder33

Reaction score
Update: I did get the Novation Mini and it does work which is good. The bad is that not all of the buttons coordinate with the traditional keyboard layout that it uses. So it looks like a crash course in midi-mapping might be in my near future... lol...

I have a Nectar which came with a pretty comprehensive (but not perfect) set of mappings for most common software products. You want to check the Novation forums and see if anyone has more advanced mapping configuration files that you can just import..

')