"Converting" to a single pickup guitar

• Thread starter max3000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

max3000

Reaction score
WHOOPS! meant to post this in the luthiery section!

Hey guys,

So the guitar in question is a Cort EVL-Z47.

Already put a BKP Aftermath 7 and it sounds killer. I'm still planning on modding it by wiring the BKP directly to the vol pot and installing a killswitch instead of the tone pot.

Now, I wanna take out the neck pup and I somehow want to fill the cavity to look as best as it can with the rest of the finish. It's a nice matte black. Question is, what method should I use? I thought about using dyed wax to fill it up.

Here it is completely stock:

GT5Of4I.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure there is a good way to fill the cavity and retain the finish. One way or another you will need to add finish, and I doubt it will be easy to blend a new coat of matte black on there.

I think you best bet is a refinish.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Personally, I'd just cut a hunk of wood, fit it, fill it, and repaint the whole body. It's damn near impossible, if not entirely impossible, to make it seamless otherwise. You'd be surprised at just how different the new black would be against the old.

My advice is also a re-finish, after you fill the hole.

Edit: While you're at it, you'll probably want to fill some of the excess knob holes. You mentioned having just a bridge pickup wired to a volume and kill switch. You should totally plug up the extra two holes. Nothing looks sillier than a 1 pickup guitar with 2 knobs, a 3 way switch and a kill switch.

max3000

Reaction score
Personally, I'd just cut a hunk of wood, fit it, fill it, and repaint the whole body. It's damn near impossible, if not entirely impossible, to make it seamless otherwise. You'd be surprised at just how different the new black would be against the old.

My advice is also a re-finish, after you fill the hole.

Edit: While you're at it, you'll probably want to fill some of the excess knob holes. You mentioned having just a bridge pickup wired to a volume and kill switch. You should totally plug up the extra two holes. Nothing looks sillier than a 1 pickup guitar with 2 knobs, a 3 way switch and a kill switch.

Well, one of the tone knobs will be replaced by a killswitch so that leaves me with one tone knob that I might do something else with.

Also yeah, I'm pretty sure it won't look exactly right but I want to at least get close without doing a complete refinish.

Any of you guys have any idea about the wax filling method? I'm thinking it might not be a great idea since it might melt when it gets hot?