Convince me to get a Caparison...

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I think I made up my mind....

I got Ibanez Prestige, Carvin, and Jackson USA guitars. Might just stick with them. Also might go with the Jackson Pro Series, ESPs (loving the M2 ATM), DBZ, ect.

Funny people mention Suhr. In Blacksburg there is a Suhr dealer wiithin walking distance from campus that I take lessons at. Suhrs are some of the best damn guitars out there lol, and I think I would rather get one then anything else. Problems being that it would take six months for them to build me a Pro Series and Customs are about 3 grand or more. Not saying they are not worth it, just saying. ALso would love to try a Tom ANderson...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I think I made up my mind....

I got Ibanez Prestige, Carvin, and Jackson USA guitars. Might just stick with them. Also might go with the Jackson Pro Series, ESPs (loving the M2 ATM), DBZ, ect.

Funny people mention Suhr. In Blacksburg there is a Suhr dealer wiithin walking distance from campus that I take lessons at. Suhrs are some of the best damn guitars out there lol, and I think I would rather get one then anything else. Problems being that it would take six months for them to build me a Pro Series and Customs are about 3 grand or more. Not saying they are not worth it, just saying. ALso would love to try a Tom ANderson...

Suhr's seem horribly overpriced to me. Even the earlier Pensa-Suhr's that I tried at Rudy's Music Stop on 48th & Broadway in NYC were good guitars but not for the price.

You mention Carvin and I say they can't be beat plus you'll get it in 2 months instead of 6 months and they even only take 20% down. I'm dying for my customs but the first 2 still have 5 weeks to go. :wallbash:

One note, tho. Don't change anything after you order it. It's like $50 a change plus/minus whatever the cost of what you adding (or subtracting) to change something. I wanted to change one to no inlays from abalone blocks. Blocks are $80 so removing them would cost me $30 in the end.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Suhr's seem horribly overpriced to me. Even the earlier Pensa-Suhr's that I tried at Rudy's Music Stop on 48th & Broadway in NYC were good guitars but not for the price.

You mention Carvin and I say they can't be beat plus you'll get it in 2 months instead of 6 months and they even only take 20% down. I'm dying for my customs but the first 2 still have 5 weeks to go. :wallbash:

One note, tho. Don't change anything after you order it. It's like $50 a change plus/minus whatever the cost of what you adding (or subtracting) to change something. I wanted to change one to no inlays from abalone blocks. Blocks are $80 so removing them would cost me $30 in the end.

lol I wish I could get a couple more Carvins. I got two already. Both are pretty damn good.

To each there own about Suhr, idk they seem to feel right to me. Plus they have a lot of options if you want to get a custom. Still divided between them and G&L, Seems as if G&l are the same but cheaper, in terms of quality...

Thesius

Reaction score
caparison-angelus-hgs-tbtn.jpg

Convinced?

Overtone

Reaction score
can i get a true temperament up in here? what what!

yellowttfb.jpg

Reaction score
Having owned 3 (2 horii and a dellinger) they are fantastic shredder guitars, solid tones, and they're pretty. I have to say though that I believe they are lacking a bit in the soul department for me personally, something about them just felt a bit dull to me compared to say a prestige ibanez (let alone say a prs of equal value). Also because of how niche they are, reselling them will be a bitch if you don't vibe with it. It took me ages to move mine. Ultimately your GAS will win but be warned, especially with the horus (short scale with 27 frets and meh stock pickups.)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Gonna haveto disagree there.

A decent parker here costs more than a caparison horus and for me the horus is a better guitar (Ive owned more than one of each models, actually I think ive owned about 11 horii)

Jacson cost shitloads over here (im sure they're cheaper in yankland) but the high end ones I've played just didnt do it for me, sure they look nice but there was no feel to them.

Suhr cost like £2400+ here (about £1000 more than a horus/dellinger) and im sorry but after playing them I think they are the most overated guitars around. Maybe I played the wrong ones but I a/b'd them with an dellinger and the dellinger was louder unplugged, had a nicer neck, better p/u (and im not a fan of capa p/u's) and cost £1200 less.

At the end of the day we're all dif. I love my horus more than any guitar i've ever played BUT the ones I played that we're 2007-2009 seemed abit poorer than the others I tried. since then they seem to have got back on the ball abit (I think Itaru canned the other guy down to chatting birds, maybe due to the fact he let a few lemons through as I know this is something Itaru is super anal on)

Best bet is to try one Im sure some stores will have a 2 week trial type deal.

I have to say also being British, I still wouldn't pay new prices for a Caparison. Particularly as you aren't comparing like for like - you're essentially comparing Cap's cheapest of the cheap against what's essentially top of the line USA stuff. If you compare it to the brands you mentioned's japanese made stuff, and even some new gear.

It doesn't line up for me. They are decently made, but not custom shop grade like Jackson USA, Suhr or EBMM - all of which can be imported/had used for around what you'd pay for the cheapest Caparison. As soon as you look at anything other than your standard Horus, UK Caparison prices jump over 2k anyway.

Horus aside, they are very expensive for what you get - a Japanese, Production Line, Factory made guitar - no maple tops or anything, awful stock pickups.... It just doesn't compete with what you can even get from Jackson Japan for me.

I'd take an SLAT3-7 over a Dellinger 7 any day of the week, unless price suddenly crashed one Caparison. The only thing that draws me to Caparison are the fact I've never owned one, they're perceived as slightly higher end than Jackson Japan and they have a cool headstock.

What is it with Japanese guitar builders and awful pickups?

Jack Secret

Reaction score
What is it with Japanese guitar builders and awful pickups?

Ibanez used to have awesome stock pickups. After the F2's and 3's, it was all downhill. The DiMarzio/IBZ's border on horrid.

I don't mind the Cap stock pups. Many told me to change them but I left them in my Apple Horn. They sounds pretty good through my rig.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't mind stock Caparison pickups, but I don't love them either. I currently have stock pickups in my RG1570 and they actually sound excellent. I'm swapping them, though, so I guess that spells it out :lol:

In any case, what Jack said about Carvin is true - they're amazing guitars, and ultra cheap for what you're getting. However, I don't know what import costs will be for our English friends.

With that said, ESP is another viable option. I have yet to play an ESP that wasn't consistent with every other ESP I've played. I have no complaints about them, and would play nothing but ESP Customs if they were reasonably priced.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't mind stock Caparison pickups, but I don't love them either. I currently have stock pickups in my RG1570 and they actually sound excellent. I'm swapping them, though, so I guess that spells it out :lol:

In any case, what Jack said about Carvin is true - they're amazing guitars, and ultra cheap for what you're getting. However, I don't know what import costs will be for our English friends.

With that said, ESP is another viable option. I have yet to play an ESP that wasn't consistent with every other ESP I've played. I have no complaints about them, and would play nothing but ESP Customs if they were reasonably priced.

That is what I was thinking. I picked up a maple M2 that was stellar. For 1,500 it seemed like it was worth it to me. I might check it out. Right now it is down between an Ibanez S5470 Prestige and an ESP M2, IMHO The Ibanez S series prestige's are VERY underrated and Ibanez should put more focus on them (7 string Prestige hint hint) , along with the Mahogony Bodied, flame topped RG prestige's...Which they pissed me off by no longer selling those in the US, loved the mahogany RGs....:mad:

Carvin is good too, I love my old Walnut DC400cw.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I have an RGT320z at the moment, and I pretty much dare you to find a better guitar. If that's an option for you, I highly recommend it as one you consider.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I have an RGT320z at the moment, and I pretty much dare you to find a better guitar. If that's an option for you, I highly recommend it as one you consider.

:hbang:

Could not agree more. I just wish they still made the thing. The red finish they had was awesome I can find a NOS one that would be sweet! But right now I got my eyes set on this-

Ibanez S5470F Prestige Electric Guitar with Case at AmericanMusical.com

or this-

ESP STANDARD SERIES M-II Black/Maple Duncans Neck 6-String Electric Guitar

I need a new job or a raise, being Hooter's cook is not enough, haha

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Yeah, man, mine is Red Spinel - best color Ibanez makes by far. Find one.

I've had both the S5470F and the M-II, in various forms. I love both guitars and will probably own more in the future. I prefer the M-II, though, since its just one of the best no-nonsense work-horses out there.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Ibanez used to have awesome stock pickups. After the F2's and 3's, it was all downhill. The DiMarzio/IBZ's border on horrid.

I don't mind the Cap stock pups. Many told me to change them but I left them in my Apple Horn. They sounds pretty good through my rig.

I think the V2 is a great laugh, but the V7, INF Pickups, Lo-Z... Who comes up with this crap?

/trolly rant

Point: I don't like Caparison pickups, a reason why I wouldn't convince the OP to buy one, because likelihood is he'd want to change them.

Unless he's less of a geeky tone-freak than me, which is highly likely.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I think the V2 is a great laugh, but the V7, INF Pickups, Lo-Z... Who comes up with this crap?

/trolly rant

Point: I don't like Caparison pickups, a reason why I wouldn't convince the OP to buy one, because likelihood is he'd want to change them.

Unless he's less of a geeky tone-freak than me, which is highly likely.

lol I would probably change them, Which is disappointing since it is a $2200+ guitar. Why I might get the ESP M2 Already has good pickups. Ibanez Prestige has decent ones, but I might just go get one and swap them, would still be much cheaper.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
ESP M-II is a great guitar :yesway:

Straight to the point, no bells or whistles, doesn't promise to be better than everything else (though it's better than a lot) and their QC is much tighter.

Used they hold value and demand too. There's a dude on here selling an MII (don't know if he has an add...) for $850, I can send him your way if you like.

AFAIK It's rosewood board, aftermarket DiMarzio pups and very good condition. Black obviously.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
ESP M-II is a great guitar :yesway:

Straight to the point, no bells or whistles, doesn't promise to be better than everything else (though it's better than a lot) and their QC is much tighter.

Used they hold value and demand too. There's a dude on here selling an MII (don't know if he has an add...) for $850, I can send him your way if you like.

AFAIK It's rosewood board, aftermarket DiMarzio pups and very good condition. Black obviously.

Naw man thanks anyway though, I need to pay some bills and get a job first, might look into one next year. But thanks anyway, sounds like a great guitar.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
lol someone posted on my page if I was convinced or not....

Definitely no from what I read, I mean they look great, but if playability and tone are not worth it then no. Many other choices out there right now for the same price or cheaper. ESP/LTD and Ibanez have finally caught my eye, They are cheaper plus I have played them in person and I love them both. They also broke my "Made in USA" only policy, which now I look back on it seems stupid.

')