Convince me to get a JP7 and not a JP6

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yacker

Reaction score
It's really not that complicated of a scenario. If you like the 6 string version, but consider yourself a 7 player, you won't be disappointed with the 7 string version. However, if you're still unsure I'd suggest buying online from a retailer with a return policy. But frankly, you could probably spend the cash on gas money to drive to a guitar center and play one and then buy Darren's and still come out ahead financially over buying one new.

Edit: I thought about suggesting Chuck's but you beat me to it Matt. Brian is indeed a very cool guy to work with. I went there looking for a new amp and he helped me with trying whatever the hell I felt like trying, and this is how I ended up with my Invader. Their prices are hard to beat too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
And as a side note, if the JP7 was in any way inferior to the JP6, I think Mr. JP would've done something about it by now :)

Well, in a sense, he has, as he really doesn't play the sevens much anymore. The Baritone 6 BFR has taken over that role for his low stuff.

I would have the same dilemma as the OP (as I'm a big Petrucci fan), but I tried the JP6 and didn't like the neck carve, so that ended my GAS for either one. At the same time, there are obviously some big fans of the JP7 here, so I think you should buy one, and if you don't like it, return it.

Bleak

Reaction score
The JP7 is essentially the same as the JP6 - the neck is just a little wider to accommodate another string. Comfort wise, they're in the same league. If you want it, get it.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
As soon as someone who doesn't feel uncomfortable with a 7 string guitar cares to explain what he can't do with it that he is quite capable of with the exact same guitar minus a string I may change my views on this matter, but such as it is, 7's are always at an advantage: their bigger range means better chord extensions, which lead to new and more comfortable arpeggio runs, which also derive from extremely easy 3 octave reach within 7 frets, making it easier to extend and build upon scalar runs, which in turn leads to [insert HUGE number of added possibilities here].

In short, if you don't find 7-string necks uncomfortable and are willing to look past the first five or six frets for the sheer djent factor, do yourself a favor and get the JP7. ;)

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Yeah I would say go and try one but in this market I would be more inclined to pick up the specific guitar that had the stars align for you. I'm not sure how it is with ebmm these days but every other production company I've played on in the last year the QC was hit or miss on the entire price range so even if you played a different jp6 the stars might not align again because that specific one was handled differently.

With that being said how attached are you to the extra low end? I had always tuned to dropped tunings and decided to start tuning to standard tunings for once and ended up missing the low end so I've been considering making the switch to a 7 to get that low end back. But if you don't miss it I wouldn't bother.

Also no guitar is forced to be a *djent machine* or stuck to any genre of music. Just because it has an extra string you don't have to play anything in specific on it. Its just an extra 5 notes, do with them what you will but they aren't married to any style of playing.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
For me it's easy - more range = more possibilities :agreed: if it doesn't matter for you - get a 6 string and you will be happy I think :D

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as someone who doesn't feel uncomfortable with a 7 string guitar cares to explain what he can't do with it that he is quite capable of with the exact same guitar minus a string I may change my views on this matter, but such as it is, 7's are always at an advantage: their bigger range means better chord extensions, which lead to new and more comfortable arpeggio runs, which also derive from extremely easy 3 octave reach within 7 frets, making it easier to extend and build upon scalar runs, which in turn leads to [insert HUGE number of added possibilities here].

The only thing I've noticed is that it's very hard to fret notes on the low E with your thumb. Let's say, a grip like this:

e---0--------------------------
b---0--------------------------
G---4--------------------------
D---6--------------------------
A---6--------------------------
E---4--------------------------
B------------------------------

That's really hard to fret as a barre chord, which is why most6-string players would use their thumb to fret the low E string. But that becomes so much harder if there's an extra string in the way. I haven't been able to do it. I like those voicings so I need to bring a 6 to gigs just for that. I sure wish I could do it on a 7 though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
John, if that chord is hard for you to play on a 7, you need to raise your guitar :yesway:

Bevo

Reaction score
I was on the fence about a 7 and tried many and bought a few just to be resold. When I tried the JP7 it was the closest 7 string that played like a 6 and not just in feel.

The spacing is just right and is much more comfortable. That neck is just amazing and flat as a rail, this makes string height low with no buzz. The tension of the strings is also amazing, it took me forever to slide like I am rubbing my fingers over a knife blade..Takes so little preasure and sound perfect.

Another thing I really like is the pickups, most 7's sound like a 6 plus one string to me. This feels to me like its not engineered as one, this one is consistent from string to string and if you skip the B it plays exactly like a 6.

Since I got mine I have not spent more than 10 min with my 6's.

Go 7, you got nothing to lose.

Dusty201087

Kenyon class of 2014
Reaction score
How old is your friend, 14?

I was kind of thinking this :lol: Seriously he should have no impact at all in what guitar you buy.

But because I haven't played a JP6/7, I'd say your best bet would be to buy the seven from a music sore with a good return policy, or if you can, go try them out before you buy :2c:

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, if that chord is hard for you to play on a 7, you need to raise your guitar :yesway:

Haha nah that ain't it, I guess I just have very short thumbs perhaps... if anything that chord should be easier to grip if the guitar hangs a bit lower. :idea: Obviously one could skip the ringing high b and e strings and just barre the sucker, but that doesn't sound as fun.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use my thumb to fret notes on the low E on 6's :shrug: lol

RoccoJ20

Reaction score
Yeah...I am like a little kid when it comes to guitars lol. I am actually selling all my guitars just to afford the Mystic Dream or Red Burst JP7...can't wait

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
I say if you like the JP6, get the JP7 if you want the 7. Like others have said, their pretty much the same guitar. I bought my 7 without EVER playing an Agile before, and I'm almost to Rick status of Agile love :wub:

Get it from a place with a good return policy, too if you buy it online.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I don't use my thumb to fret notes on the low E on 6's :shrug: lol

I gotta agree with john about using your thumb for that chord. I hang my guitar off my ears its so high and even I can't do that chord with the open notes without using my thumb

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I would say go and try one but in this market I would be more inclined to pick up the specific guitar that had the stars align for you. I'm not sure how it is with ebmm these days but every other production company I've played on in the last year the QC was hit or miss on the entire price range so even if you played a different jp6 the stars might not align again because that specific one was handled differently.

With that being said how attached are you to the extra low end? I had always tuned to dropped tunings and decided to start tuning to standard tunings for once and ended up missing the low end so I've been considering making the switch to a 7 to get that low end back. But if you don't miss it I wouldn't bother.

Also no guitar is forced to be a *djent machine* or stuck to any genre of music. Just because it has an extra string you don't have to play anything in specific on it. Its just an extra 5 notes, do with them what you will but they aren't married to any style of playing.

It's 24 new fret positions, not just 5 extra notes. I regularly use all the way up the 15th fret of my low B string and the amount of extra possibilities it opens up is amazing.

')