Convince me!

• Thread starter 777Seven777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
No... I haven't been here for too long... but I guess I won't mention it anymore???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7stringninja

Southpaw Bastard
Reaction score
I always give my friends this analogy I came up with when I first started to play 7.

Let's say you are a painter, but you only have 2 different paint colors, red and blue. Obviously, you can mix these two colors in different %'s to get a variety of other colors, but wouldn't it be nice to have Yellow too?

The seven-string is my Yellow. :hbang:

There are no cons in my eyes, other than MAYBE, the smaller selection of instruments and pickups. The guitar itself is not any harder to play, and the adjustment is very quick and natural.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
pros - extra 5th in any given scale position. Chicks dig seven strings. They're more symmetrical. You can hand your guitar to unsuspecting six stringers and watch them fuck up.

cons- Jimi style thumb-over-the neck is a little trickier, and you;ll get a lot of requests to play Korn.

Now, ease up on the hostility a touch. ;)

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Drew said:
pros - extra 5th in any given scale position. Chicks dig seven strings. They're more symmetrical. You can hand your guitar to unsuspecting six stringers and watch them fuck up.

cons- Jimi style thumb-over-the neck is a little trickier.
Pros I agree with, nothing quite like seeing someone holding a 7 string guitar like they've never played a guitar or instrument in their life, these smileys depict the majority very well I think - :scratch: :ugh:

I think the real con there is that you have itty bitty hands drew
camp.gif
:lol:

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
777Seven777 said:
i guess i overestimated the step into this decision..or...im being ripped apart by arrogance? :fawk:

w/e i thought maybe i could hear both sides of the story from one sdie...but i guess all there is here is "Seven string or fuck off"

Wow, who's the one being arrogant. You shouldn't offend so easily.

To give my answer to your question... it's basically like this... why are you going to a seven string guitar? I made the switch cause I wanted really low tuned heavyness. I tune down to "A". Now of course I could've just bought a six string baritone and tuned it down but then I wouldn't have the high string which sucks cause I do indeed use the high strings a LOT. So rather than get a baritone 6 I went with a baritone 7. If you find that YOU always tune to "E" and never want to play anything lower tuned then why buy a seven?? Get one if you need the extra depth and range. There's are no real cons to having a seven string except that if you use a certain string guage you just may have to buy a pack of 6 strings and an individual low B string. Like, I use Dean Markley Blue Steels and they don't make a .062 low B string so I buy the 11-56 pack and a single D'Addarrio .062 string and bingo I'm set. no big deal. The pro's are obviously the extra range you can play. You can go really deep and yet still have the same hi-end of a six string. They're very very easy to adapt to. The string spacing is just a little bit closer together than on a six.

Anyway, hope this info is helpful and welcome to the forum. We're all a little pompous at times. We're fucking musicians! :D We're just being silly. Don't let it bother you.

Rev.

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
I actually have a Ukelele...they're fun.

(But my guitars are always first.)

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
i think it is the extra notes you gain without having to sacrafice the upper registers. on a six string, detuning causes a loss of notes, but with seven, you are already at b, so why even worry about it. then again, you might want to tune lower on a seven, but you will still have better acess to the higher notes that are forgotten in the sea of downtuned mediocrity. also, sevens just feel better to some people than the six strings do.
of course, there are cons. for instance very limited options compared to six strings as far as guitars and pickups go, including the whole route thing if you happen to like emgs. people will usually give you dumb looks, or ask stupid questions about why you play a seven. also, you have to find strings for it, which if you live in a more sheltered area, will be hard.
other than that, the only other real cons are getting used to the guitar, and finding another sevenstringer in your area. it gets a little tricky sometimes.

the thing is, once you get used to the seventh string, you won't look back. i bought a seven almost a ear and a half ago, and it is the only guitar i really play anymore. there's no reason to lower a level to six when you have the superior seven.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
To me one of the main pros was that I've always played with bassists who play 5 or 6 string basses and we could feed off of each other visually. Also when I was playing for a church the music was all written by sadistic keyboardists who write in Eb and I didn't want to leave standard tuning. I could play in Eb or C without really changing anything too drastically. Also, for many of our smaller services we only had me, keys, and drums, so I held the low end on my 7 tapping bass lines and chord progressions independently, Stick style, and it worked for what we needed. Also, I have been playing bass and guitar since 1985 and I started doing some slapping and popping techniques on the 7 that sounded pretty funky. Never mind the fact that you can flat out grind on that low B and it gives you a total rush of power. Plus there's drop-A tuning... mmmm yummy!

Cons? Of course there are cons. Adjusting to a new instrument is always a challenge. The neck is wider, d'uh, there are more strings to keep in tune, string sets, pickup selections, hardware options, available models, and many other things related to 7s are fewer and further between than standard 6s. Standard practise amps don't do 7s any justice. You really need to spend money on gear that compliments them, unless you LIKE Line 6 stuff like I, Shannon, and many others here do. Another one is that most people associate 7s with Korn or Limp Bizkit, not that I don't care for them, that's irrelevant, it's just that the 7 string guitar has been around for decades, whether his gayness himself, the Maestro Alex Gregory (sole inventor of the electric 7 string guitar - my @$$) believes it or not.

The real question is, "where do you want to go musically?" Not, "who do you want to emulate?" Will the addition of a low B, or high G or A as some people do, add to the repertoire that you're trying to build for yourself, or can you express yourself best on 6 strings?

')