Convince me!

• Thread starter 777Seven777
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Derek.

6 Stringer Slinger for about 5 years now and i was thinking about, soon, picking up a Carvin 7 String. keep in mind this isnt a "Which should i buy" thread...more of a Should i bump myself up to 7 string status?

please include (your opinion) Pros and Cons of 7 string

Thoughts?

-Derek

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
If you need convincing, you truly are not worthy to wield the mighty majesty of the Glorious 7.

I'd say take up the Ukelele. Less strings. ;)

My serious post to come later, lol.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
I say get an 8 string. (I'm getting one!)

Mwahahaha. Ha. Ha. :lol:
I had a 9, the scale length dwarfed my penis.

now, cons of a 7 stringer? no such thing mate, the only limitation is the player ;)

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
go 7 :yesway:

pro's: :donnie:^2

the only cons are the extra dough you have to spend on instruments, and for that extra string. that's it.

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
And the very, very small increase in neck width. :lol:

It's like 1/3 of a centimeter!!! :lol:

So yeah, I don't see why you would need to know the cons when there basically are none. ;)

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
btw, with a forum name like 777Seven777, why do you really need convincing? ;)

Reaction score
i guess i overestimated the step into this decision..or...im being ripped apart by arrogance? :fawk:

w/e i thought maybe i could hear both sides of the story from one sdie...but i guess all there is here is "Seven string or fuck off"

Reaction score
Leon said:
btw, with a forum name like 777Seven777, why do you really need convincing? ;)

im at 7string.org

my forums names are the first thign that pops into my head...now..let me think for a moment

what am i thinking about at this forum...yes thats right...NOT the number 7.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
777Seven777 said:
i guess i overestimated the step into this decision..or...im being ripped apart by arrogance? :fawk:

w/e i thought maybe i could hear both sides of the story from one sdie...but i guess all there is here is "Seven string or fuck off"
Well, not so much seven string or fuck off but I can't see any of us throwing a bad word toward seven string guitars, I myself don't even bother with 6 stringers anymore as do a few guys on here.

Oh, btw there are cons but they would be specific to a certain guitar, depending on what you're used to playing you might find schecter necks too similar to a baseball bat etc, you know?

Reaction score
Papa Shank said:
I can't see any of us throwing a bad word toward seven string guitars.

absolutely understood

but whats with the "The pros of Seven Strings is...THEYRE FRICKIN AWESOME!!"

im looking for legitamite reasons to shell out the cash for a Seven string

am i in the wrong place? i highly doubt it.

Tubbs Mcgee

Wobbled away
Reaction score
I myself don't even bother with 6 stringers anymore as do a few guys on here.

I won't as soon as I get my 7 :D

And then my 8...

Oh, and 7 string guitars have a seventh string, you might not have known that. ^7777777

Well, the other pros...More chords, 5 extra notes, etc.

Papa Shank

Be-otch
Reaction score
777Seven777 said:
absolutely understood

but whats with the "The pros of Seven Strings is...THEYRE FRICKIN AWESOME!!"

im looking for legitamite reasons to shell out the cash for a Seven string

am i in the wrong place? i highly doubt it.
Well, I personally don't see any reason not to have that extra range. Any tuning you can think up (within reason) would convert to 7 string without a problem, you've automatically got your E standard, open tunings can be given added bass depth, you can use the extra string as a drone string if you like, dropped tunings can be extended (example - A-D-A-D-G-B-E, etc). It gives you a little more option than a 6 stringer does and that's what sells it to me.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
hmmm is it better to have 6 strings or 7?
let me think of some analogies.

Is it better to have a 5 string or 6 string guitar?

Is it better to have 1 eye or two eye's?

Is it better to have to have 6 dollars or 7 dollars?

No, seriously,

Pro's = More notes, more chords, more sonic range, Low notes that are earth shaking while retaining regular 6 string soloing range. More positions to play chords in.

cons = Wider neck, but for most normal sized human hands this is not too much of a con. Its harder to find parts and less selection in upgrade parts. 7 strings have less nice budget models.

Reaction score
thank you very much for the input...sorry if i came off....as if i were pissed off at anyone on the forum :cool: bad day today

anyway..thanks again

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
guitarjitsumaster said:
cons = Wider neck, but for most normal sized human hands this is not too much of a con.

Ohh that's what I love about my 7. I can shred like a mofo on the wider necks. My hands are just way too big for a 6er to play comfortably on.:metal:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Pro's: An extra string, which you can do whatever you want with. I think the extra range is really just the tip of the iceberg. Scales can be formulated easily into more configurations, there are more chord voicings available in each position, and if you are a sweep-picking wizard, you can add two or so notes to an arpeggio, which, believe it or not, makes it sound to six-stringers as though it's going forever. You will also have more tuning capabilities at your command, and you won't ever really have any reason to go drop d or drop c anymore.

Con's: You will piss off other guitar players, have to readjust your tremolo procedure, and may have trouble finding strings someday.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Con: there is a learning curve that seems to vary from person to person.

So you will want to play it excusively for a while so that your fingers don't trip all over the place.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
777Seven777 said:

Actually, it's "We bust everyones balls, so if you are the sensitive type, you're better off at Harmony Central". ;)

:fawk:

(Welcome. ;) )

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Tubbs Mcgee said:
I won't as soon as I get my 7 :D

And then my 8...

Oh, and 7 string guitars have a seventh string, you might not have known that. ^7777777

Well, the other pros...More chords, 5 extra notes, etc.

Psst.

Remember that whole not-ranting-about-stuff-you-plan-to-someday-do/get thing we mentioned?

Hi2u. :wub:

')