Cool Chord progressions

• Thread starter All_¥our_Bass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
i like... Gm-Am-Bbmaj-Fmaj... course you might want to tweak around and make 7ths, dim7,etc chords out of them for spice, but those would be the root/3rd of my favorite 'play it and them over it' progression.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
So, post some you like. :D

I can't remember the whole thing off the top of my head, but I absolutely love the changes to Hoagey Carmichal's "Georgia." I'll post 'em up tonight. :yesway:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Here's one I came up with last night, having been playing with the ideas in Scott Henderson's 'Jazz Chord System' book. The idea is that the same ambiguous voicing can have different harmonic applications depending on what the bass player is doing.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I tend to like chord progressions that repeat a certain chord.
C-G-Am-G, etc

PS:
All_¥our_Bass, you have a typo in your sig. :fawk:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, 'Snowbound' by Arch Enemy has nice changes:

A: Cm-Cm/Bb-Ab-Bbsus-Gm-Cm
B: F-Bb-Eb-Ab-D half dim-Gm-Cm

Songstructure: A intro, A verse, B bridge, B verse

MetalMike

IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD
Contributor
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Try Coltrane's 'Giant Steps' changes...tricky, but great.

+1

Then try soloing over it without constantly arpeggiating the chords. :metal:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Bmin, Bmin w/an A in the base, Bmin w/a G in the base, Fsus

Canon in D

A friend of mine showed me a cool one using the first position E chord. Arpeggiate that, then add the A sharp on the G string keeping the rest of the chord the same.

The chords for Rainbow in the Dark are great to solo over.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
distressed_romeo said:
Try Coltrane's 'Giant Steps' changes...tricky, but great.

What's the progression on this, don't post a song if you aren't going to post the progression as well (for future reference). I'm not mad or trying to yell at you but I just want to make this clear.

I don't care if the progression is happy or sad or whatever, as long as you like it and think it's good, I like to mix up styles a lot so style isn't a "problem" either.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't have the original lead sheet at hand, but here's a chord melody thing I just came up with based on a similar set of changes (if some of the shapes look wierd, remember the bracketed chord symbols are based on the root note the bassist would play).

Hope this helps.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Ancestor said:
A friend of mine showed me a cool one using the first position E chord. Arpeggiate that, then add the A sharp on the G string keeping the rest of the chord the same.

Em add #4!!

I also came up with some really wierd/cool ones like D add #4 add b6-it's pretty dissonant if you strum it, but sounds neat if arppegiated.

D add #4 add b6:
e|----
b|----
G|-13-
D|-12-
A|-12-
E|-10-
B|-11-

lachrymose

Lacrimosa dies illa
Reaction score
ok im an absolutely fucking SUCKER for this progression.. hear it in so many songs...

well i'll do it in A minor, you's can transcrie it if you like

Am F G

and repeat. even though its in the minor, the F and G major chords still make it feel like a powerful move, even though it resolves to minor ... i find it hot, i dont like going froma minor chord to a minor chord/

oh BUt my fave chord progression EVER, i dont know if i should say.. well i will but its basicall.. a major chord, then palying a major chord a half step below...

i think its in some... harmonic minor.. Dorian flat-4 scale or some shit but i just love it haha. well any songs that use major chords but are really fucking miserablee. i think that's wat i like aobut Garbage's songs, happy chorusses, miserable as fuck vocals. haha, yay for juxtaposition

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to go out and learn some theory so I could understand what you're all talking about :p

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Guys, if there's anything that's confusing you start a new thread, and there are plenty of guys here who'd be happy to break it down for you!:)

Latest posts

')