Coolest Band Discovery so far in 2006....

• Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
In the spirit of Drew's best of 2005, I thought I'd start this one to see if anyone's found some new shit they dig already in 2006.

For me it's definitely Killswitch Engage. Absolutely awesome stuff. Get these guys a 7!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Byzantine. :hbang:

And Arsis seems pretty good so far. I've just been getting into Carcass this year. Metal Ken and Tohsiro are bad influences on me :p

Martin_777

7 String Engineer
Reaction score
Coolest discovery so far in '06 is definitly Dragonforce. Turbo-charged Power Metal from London!!
These guys rock the frets at amazing speed :shred: + Herman Li has some sevens in his arsenal. Check 'em out!

Makelele

Reaction score
Amon Amarth. I bought "Once Sent From the Golden Hall" from iTunes, after I had only heard the samples, and I didn't regret it. After that I bought "Fate of Norns" which was equally good. I actually learned to play "The Pursuit of Vikings" of that album, and it's so fun to play. It is quite easy, and it's in B-standard tuning so you can play it on a 7-string.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I can't recall if this was at the very end of '05 or early '06, but someone burned me a copy of Massive Attack's "Mezzanine," and I've been listening to it a ton lately. Not exactly metal, but damn it's good. :)

Martin_777

7 String Engineer
Reaction score
Makelele said:
Amon Amarth. .... It is quite easy, and it's in B-standard tuning so you can play it on a 7-string.

If you like Amon Amarth go for "Versus The World"!
"Death In Fire" & "For The Stabwounds In Our Backs" are fun songs to play as well. Easy but cool to do as covers.

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I was into Killswitch...I kinda rediscovered them I guess. A friend of mine got me their DVD for Christmas and I can't stop watching it.

As for first time discoveries, I'd have to say Scar Symmetry. :metal:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Byzantine. :hbang:

And Arsis seems pretty good so far. I've just been getting into Carcass this year. Metal Ken and Tohsiro are bad influences on me :p

Arsis friggin' ROCKS. I can't wait for the full-length second disc that's due out later this year...

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
For me it's Black Label Society. I guess I kind of didn't notice these guys for the past 10 years or so :lol:

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Not that I just bought it or anything, but Noctunal Rites Grand Illusion has seen more play time in the last month than it did last year total around here. It's cranked up right now, and I should be sleeping! :D

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Drew said:
I can't recall if this was at the very end of '05 or early '06, but someone burned me a copy of Massive Attack's "Mezzanine," and I've been listening to it a ton lately. Not exactly metal, but damn it's good. :)

Agreed brilliant album. If you like that you should pick up 'Blue Lines' and 'Protection' too.

Only mentioning them as their guitarist plays a 7 string - Reflux - haven't heard too much but from the video's and songs I have heard/seen they seem quite interesting.

http://myspace.com/reflux

Roland777

Reaction score
Drew said:

You should DEFINATELY check out Boards of Canada. More specifically, their CD "The campfire headphase".

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like August Burns Red quite a bit, their cd came out in 2k6 so..yeah. Oh yeah, mercenary \m/

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I plan on aquiring (legally, no less) most if not all of their canon, and Roland I'll give those guys a listen too. :yesway:

Roland777

Reaction score
Drew said:
I plan on aquiring (legally, no less) most if not all of their canon, and Roland I'll give those guys a listen too. :yesway:

Word of caution, Drew: That CD is so mellow, the possibility is quite real that it'll make an instant cannabis-smoker out of you. If you like downbeat music, that CD takes the cake, period. It's an epiphany. Check it out, you'll love it. I got it a week ago on a recommendation from a friend - and I've been thinking about it since then.
You need to hear that CD, Drew!

And yeah, post your comments as soon as you hear it. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Roland777 said:
Word of caution, Drew: That CD is so mellow, the possibility is quite real that it'll make an instant cannabis-smoker out of you. If you like downbeat music, that CD takes the cake, period. It's an epiphany. Check it out, you'll love it. I got it a week ago on a recommendation from a friend - and I've been thinking about it since then.
You need to hear that CD, Drew!

No need to fear, I'm already a gin drinker. Super-chill music is just as good for staring at your ceiling with a stiff drink as it is for smoking up to. :D

Roland777

Reaction score
Drew said:
No need to fear, I'm already a gin drinker. Super-chill music is just as good for staring at your ceiling with a stiff drink as it is for smoking up to. :D

+10 cool points to Drew.

Though I can't emphasize this enough - get that CD first of them all. If you're even the slightest into downbeat, you'll find a revelation in that record.

Boards of Canada! The campfire headphase! Don't forget!

Dark Tranquillity

Gothenburg Guitarist
Reaction score
Suffocatio, Cynic, Atheist, Despised Icon, and Al Di Meola. Great year, though this was in 05.

')