"Core"-Guy vs. The Djent Kid

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Breakdows are over, djent is here.

I just hate how the fads ruined those musical elements for me. Seriously, whenever I hear a breakdown I just loose my interest in a song and the same goes with djent or blast-beats... You know, i almost can't even listen to the old stuff i liked :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
Ok

I'm gonna be the ignorant guy here. What is thall?
thall.jpg

I have no fucking idea what it means besides vildhjarta started it.

Zer01

Reaction score
I'm not sure which kid I hate worse. I'm glad I'm getting old because it means I don't care about all this genre bullshit anymore. I don't know what post-hardcore is and I barely know what djent is. I'm sure I listen to a couple bands from each but I don't care enough to categorize them.

No one is "ruining music". Listen to what you want.

Reaction score
I never talk about music with anyone.

I play grindcore and just hung out with a dude the other day that was telling me how cool the Dave Mathew's Band drummer is.

And I was like, cool, I bet he is good. And then I went home and watched this video:

And then I watched Mike Tyson punching a speed bag:

And then I was like, what temp is that Belphegor song Swarm of rats:

And then I noticed, the Belphegor song is like 260 bpm, and Mike Tyson couldn't work the speed bag at that tempo.

And then I watched FPSrussia shoot a watermelon with an Uzi.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Thall is the onomatopoeia for when you do an unmuted open not on a low B string or F# on an 8 (I think thats an F# lol) But it does have a meaning. i think its more of a protest against the word "Djent" for turning into a genre rather than another onomatopoeia. and by protest i mean they have a good sense of Humor.

Speaking of which. i think we should either start Accepting Djent as a describing word for this type of music or just call it "Aggressive Progressive" it seems a lot of bands that fall into what some people want to call a genre like this other name. because essentially they are progressive.

Dan Halen

Reaction score
Such hate for djent ..:lol:

Yah i dont quite get that part. i dont see a reason for all this hate. i think you should like what you like and not judge another style as bad or undeserving of fans (except polka)

i think music is too personal to say any of it sucks. maybe if i said i like Metalcore like Uearth, As i Lay Dying, and Bullet (just to name the popular ones) that im either a bad person or undeserving of my own musical opinion. i think given the right band anyone can like anything. i think "A. Prog." is awesome i also think Metalcore is the boobies. and you can hate me all you want.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
Basically djent (even though it's not a genre, lol), deathcore, etc., All of them suck if the band sucks. I think we would all agree some deathcore bands suck too. But so do some "djent" bands. Shitty music sucks. End of story. I listen to Everything from prog metal like Periphery to great deathcore like Aegaeon to indie like Modest Mouse and instrumental hip-hop like Nujabes. :D

That being said, the video is totally biased towards the djent kid, because core kids are super annoying too. Ever hear someone talk about how "deep" the new Asking Alexandria album is? :nuts:

EDIT: I should clarify when I say "core" I'm including metalcore like AA in that.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Speaking of which. i think we should either start Accepting Djent as a describing word for this type of music or just call it "Aggressive Progressive" it seems a lot of bands that fall into what some people want to call a genre like this other name. because essentially they are progressive.

Eh, I'll take "djent" over "aggressive progressive" any day- the former still sounds unusual to outsiders and the word "progressive" in heavy music has been overused to the point of meaninglessness.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
also there are plenty bands out there that play a more aggressive style of traditional prog metal but have nothing to do with djent.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
Very funny video. :rofl: Seeing 'thallthallthallthall' repeated on had me in tears.

It's hard to express my feelings on the whole 'djent' thing. Some say it's a fad, some say it's the future. I don't think it's either (like all else, it's just music that some will choose to create, and with it's apparent rise in popularity, there is more of that right now/) for some, it *might* be seen as great new style to 'cash in' on, but really, who's making a lot of money and getting huge rep from djent? :lol:

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Potentially, yes. I think at the end of the day Djent is being way too uniform, from the riffage down to the last bit of the guitar tone and production, to be considered progressive in the truest sense of the word. Despite being a young "genre", it's already more repetitive than anything, if you ask me. Djent as a genre has yet to live up to its potential of being progressive, at least IMHO.

Also, Deathcore was just that one hype before Djent, so how is Deathcore the real deal now, in comparison? I don't want to hate on any of those genres and both had decent bands coming up, but those were the most recent hypes in Metal(core), so any elitist type of discussion from either point of view is a bit funny, if you ask me.

I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the video anyways. I'm enjoying the discussion, though. ;)

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
shitsøn;2851721 said:
Also, Deathcore was just that one hype before Djent, so how is Deathcore the real deal now, in comparison? I don't want to hate on any of those genres and both had decent bands coming up, but those were the most recent hypes in Metal(core), so any elitist type of discussion from either point of view is a bit funny, if you ask me.

I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the video anyways. I'm enjoying the discussion, though. ;)

I think the idea is that most deathcore fans were trend hoppers that hopped onto djent whereas the deathcore guy in this video was a "tr00" deathcore fan, and people for some reason think "tr00ness" is superior to "trend hopping".

Also, the video was made by a deathcore band.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I think the idea is that most deathcore fans were trend hoppers that hopped onto djent whereas the deathcore guy in this video was a "tr00" deathcore fan
The idea of a "trve" Deathcore fan is still funny to my subjective and limited imagination, since it's only been a shortliving hype itself. It's hardly anything I can picture someone being super duper passionate about for a very long time, which - in my book - makes a true fan or follower of a certain genre.

')