"Core"-Guy vs. The Djent Kid

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I want bands like Botch and Old DEP to come back ;~;

Its funny to see the deathcore and djent kids fighting because they are part and parcel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
Meanwhile the "Post-" dude sits quietly in the corner... ignored... as usual...

guitareben

Reaction score
That was awesome :D

And I really don't see the big problem/argument with genre's. Music, in the end, is good or bad. The genre it comes under does not determine whether it is good or not. It will either be good... or not. (And good and bad is all just personal opinion anyway... why does any of this matter!!! :D )

Alpenglow above appears to be saying the same sorta thing :D

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
this has been going on since the beginning of popular music, it's just amplified by the presence of the internet now.

even if I don't particularly like djent, the fact that there are a billion clones of varying goodness and shittiness out now, doesn't takes away from what periphery, AAL and tesseract have done, just like the billion copycats don't take away from the impact of Killswitch Engage's first couple of albums.

When I hear a clean/delay intro followed by meshuggah-like chugging, I turn the youtube or soundcloud off immediately, because I really have no desire to hear these bands that all follow the same formula and chase the same exact production quality, visual asthetic, fanbase, etc, but that's the beauty of the internet and freewill - you can just turn it off and continue listening to Bolt Thrower in your winamp unabated and unscathed.

vices like vipers

Reaction score
According to one of Vildhjartas videos on youtube, thall is suppose to be the sound of the bends they do in their songs.

Don Vito

Reaction score
I think thall are the open notes between the djents.

djentdjentTHALLdjentTHALLdjentTHALLdjentdjent

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just started saying it because that one dude had it on his guitar on a youtube video and it sounded cryptic enough to be fun.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
Vildhjarta is probably going to draw out the "thall" thing just because they can. We probably won't know what it means until their third album or something. :lol:

Genome

Reaction score
I'm not sure which kid I hate worse. I'm glad I'm getting old because it means I don't care about all this genre bullshit anymore. I don't know what post-hardcore is and I barely know what djent is. I'm sure I listen to a couple bands from each but I don't care enough to categorize them.

No one is "ruining music". Listen to what you want.

why did the hipster burn his tongue?

because he tasted the soup before it was cool

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
It always kind of upset me that a lot of 'Djent' bands took on the sci-fi thing. While the music is sometimes very fitting, One thing I always found it lacking in was actual interesting lyrics that made you want to learn about the subject. Scar Symmetry's "Holographic Universe" made me look up a lot of things and spend some hours just reading interesting articles and books, same with Obscura. The djent scene, not so much, dumbed it down a bit it seems.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
It always kind of upset me that a lot of 'Djent' bands took on the sci-fi thing. While the music is sometimes very fitting, One thing I always found it lacking in was actual interesting lyrics that made you want to learn about the subject. Scar Symmetry's "Holographic Universe" made me look up a lot of things and spend some hours just reading interesting articles and books, same with Obscura. The djent scene, not so much, dumbed it down a bit it seems.

Mithras and Decrepit Birth too on that front, now that's some quality universal pondering.

Not just

HURRRR RANDOM CONSTELLATION NAMES ARE WE DEEP YET?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
this has been going on since the beginning of popular music, it's just amplified by the presence of the internet now.

even if I don't particularly like djent, the fact that there are a billion clones of varying goodness and shittiness out now, doesn't takes away from what periphery, AAL and tesseract have done, just like the billion copycats don't take away from the impact of Killswitch Engage's first couple of albums.

When I hear a clean/delay intro followed by meshuggah-like chugging, I turn the youtube or soundcloud off immediately, because I really have no desire to hear these bands that all follow the same formula and chase the same exact production quality, visual asthetic, fanbase, etc, but that's the beauty of the internet and freewill - you can just turn it off and continue listening to Bolt Thrower in your winamp unabated and unscathed.

Goddamn, what I do to a complete tee.
There were a few bands this year I decided to actually give a chance rather than outright avoiding as I did for a long period of time because friends had told me how 'amazing' they were.
I would hear that clean/delay intro you speak of and then hear Meshuggah riffing and would turn it off immediately and then remembered why I had avoided those bands for so long in the first place because I knew in hindsight that's exactly what it was going to sound like anyway.
The production aesthetic itself probably kills it for me more so than the music though.

BuckarooBanzai

Reaction score
Basically djent (even though it's not a genre, lol), deathcore, etc., All of them suck if the band sucks. I think we would all agree some deathcore bands suck too. But so do some "djent" bands. Shitty music sucks. End of story. I listen to Everything from prog metal like Periphery to great deathcore like Aegaeon to indie like Modest Mouse and instrumental hip-hop like Nujabes. :D

That being said, the video is totally biased towards the djent kid, because core kids are super annoying too. Ever hear someone talk about how "deep" the new Asking Alexandria album is? :nuts:

EDIT: I should clarify when I say "core" I'm including metalcore like AA in that.

This. I have heard two people say exactly that. What pisses me off to some degree is the fact that these are the same kind of people who are now listening to Periphery and Animals As Leaders, and now I assume bad things about a person if I've just met them and they like djent.

I won't lie... until 2008, Savatage and Megadeth were the heaviest bands I was willing to listen to, and anything with dirty vocals was totally out of the question for me (primarily because I am not a fan of black metal highs and pig squeals, which were the extent of my experience with the style at the time). My friend turned me on to Bulb's MySpace sometime in 2008, and after hearing what is by far the poppiest song he ever wrote I explored his back catalog of heavy-ass demos and became enamored. It is perfectly logical to say that I am not a tr00 metal fan since I don't have the four-tiered genre tree memorized and can't differentiate Blackened Death from Death Black or whatever, but I don't give a fuck - I enjoy listening to five or six heavy bands along with my funk fusion and crappy classic rock. I also didn't suddenly change the way I dress or talk because of it, and the criticism about the lyrics applies PERFECTLY in my opinion :lol:.

What I'm trying to say here in so many words is that it's only natural for a subgenre as accessible and awesome as djent to attact a lot of new blood to the scene... it's just VERY unfortunate that the new blood happens to be a demographic that is predisposed to douchiness. The best we can hope to do is to continue listening to the enjoyable "djent" and hope that the fad passes.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
lol. that is all.
Raisins_Face.jpg

')