"Core"-Guy vs. The Djent Kid

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
Ambidjent huh?

Djent is turning into one of those wacky genre diseases now.

"Swedish Melodic Blackneded Death Speed Metal"

and there was

"Ambient progressive tech symphonidjent with x and y elements"

I love metal to death, more than anything, but jesus christ the subgenres go overboard. Im all for classification, but too much is too much.

G27DUDE

Reaction score
Never actually met a "djent kid". haha. I listen to everything from AAL to Dream Theater to Whitechapel, to fuckin' SRV. I listen to what I like. Period. But as a guitar player, these, so called "djent bands" definitely have something to offer in terms of making me a better player. I've learned a lot from Tosin's videos and just covering Periphery songs. However, I feel like some of these new bands kind of dumb it down, just playing low riffage for the hell of it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't make it through that whole video.

But "Pee Eff Eff Eff Eff Eff Tee Tee" had me :lol:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
To me Thall is Vildhjarta's own specific brand of djent which I think is fucking awesome, it's ultra-aggressive, ultra-dark and ultra-inventive. Their work previous to Masstaden while being slightly unique was still reminiscent of other djent bands such as Fell Silent and Periphery (criminally so in places) whereas Masstaden has it's own unique identity setting them apart from the crowd. It still reminds me of Tesseract in places, but it gets 9 :yesway:'s out of 10 from me.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Never actually met a "djent kid". haha. I listen to everything from AAL to Dream Theater to Whitechapel, to fuckin' SRV. I listen to what I like.

*Names 3 metal bands and a blues-rock Icon* "I listen to everything!"

That's cool, and it made me laugh. :)

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Screenshot_2012-02-06_16_03_32_683167.jpg

and I ran...
I ran so far away...
I just ran...
I ran all night and day...

...couldn't get away.

G27DUDE

Reaction score
*Names 3 metal bands and a blues-rock Icon* "I listen to everything!"

That's cool, and it made me laugh. :)

Well, I was trying to express that I like some "Djent" and "core" bands, since this is the topic of the thread. I like many Blues, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Rock, etc artists. But metal does take up at least half of the space on my Ipod, yeah. haha.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
This reminds me of yesterday when I was being told I listen to "Old people music" By a bunch of kids in my class. Apparently I'm not cool for not liking asking alexandria and this falling in reverse band. When they told me I listen to any new bands I said "What about periphery and scale the summit? those are relevantly new bands which I like." They knew who neither of those bands are.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
You'd swear by the way people act on this forum that periphery, AAL, djent bands, etc, etc are all the rage and hipster / scene kids everywhere won't shut the fuck up about them.

The reality of it is they are far from "mainstream metal" like a lot of these other bands.

G27DUDE

Reaction score
You'd swear by the way people act on this forum that periphery, AAL, djent bands, etc, etc are all the rage and hipster / scene kids everywhere won't shut the fuck up about them.

The reality of it is they are far from "mainstream metal" like a lot of these other bands.
Yeah, dude. Most of the hipster kids I know think those bands are boring and "not cool". haha

Reaction score
Yeah, dude. Most of the hipster kids I know think those bands are boring and "not cool". haha

Lol I don't really know any djent kids other than my best friend and two or three kids who know what it is but don't think its the new awesomeness fucking awesome new wave of prog boner music.

which makes me feel like a outcast when ever I say djent XD ahahha

Reaction score
I think the idea is that most deathcore fans were trend hoppers that hopped onto djent whereas the deathcore guy in this video was a "tr00" deathcore fan, and people for some reason think "tr00ness" is superior to "trend hopping".

Also, the video was made by a deathcore band.

NaYoN hit the nail on the head for the most part as to why i made this video.

The Djent Kid in this video is actually a "TrendBot" in disguise. TrendBots are robots designed to ruin social trends as quickly as possible by swarming true fans of said trend and dousing them with regurgitated styles, sayings, references, and sensibilities. This TrendBot was one of many who recently made the switch from Deathcore to Djent. You can be sure as shit that a handful of years ago, he was endlessly repeating "omg dat breakdownn iz br00Tulll \m/" rather than "thall thall thall tosin abasi bulb periphery" but, alas, TrendBots must fulfill their manufactured purpose.

So yes, this is why it seemed biased toward Djent, cus Core-Guy was a real person who still likes various "core" artists, legit ones of course, and despite facepalming a few times :wallbash:... Core-Guy outsmarted the Djent-TrendBot enough to make it short circuit.

So there you go. Btw it was fun to read all these comments. I hope the shameless plug for Arbiter worked?? hahaha. I myself am the vocalist of Arbiter and the author of our sci-fi back-story, books, and our upcoming card & dice tabletop game based on said back-story. Just in case you guys thought it was ironic that we followed the whole "Sci-Fi theme" trend. But it wasn't just for aesthetics, it was because of our back-story haha.

Cheers! - Connor Arbiter

Reaction score
According to my foobar, I listen to 155 genres.

lol

And hey Arbiter singer, I was just about to listen to your band for the first time here in a few minutes. So funny that you just happened to be posting.

ps, sounds brutal

Reaction score
According to my foobar, I listen to 155 genres.

lol

And hey Arbiter singer, I was just about to listen to your band for the first time here in a few minutes. So funny that you just happened to be posting.

ps, sounds brutal

very awesome! Depending on your music tastes you might be severely let down, hahaha, I only say that because most of the SS.org community doesn't exactly line up with the sensibilities of what our Colossus album was "all about" if you will haha. The music was for the most part written as early as 2005 and was assembled into the album during the height of Deathcore thing. It's not really "deathcore" but it definitely aligns with those sensibilities more. All that aside, I hope you like it or are at least anticipating our new albums. Not to rant on about my own band but since I have nothing else to talk about, why not? We are releasing a "split album".. where half of it, named Ironclad, is more aggressive, raw, metal and death metal and deathcore influenced, and is about the "Ironclad Army" from our back-story, and then the other half of it, named Machinations, is more modern, groove-oriented, melodic, metalcore influenced, and is about the "Extropian Army" from our back-story. The two armies are fighting in this chapter of our story and that's another reason i made the "core" vs. "djent" video because that's essentially the exact same thing Ironclad vs. Machinations is :wavey:

')