"Core"-Guy vs. The Djent Kid

• Thread starter BlindingLight7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Don Vito

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I used to be a "Trendbot" as you call it.

I was listening to a ton deathcore at one point because I had friends who were into it, then latched on to the new prog groove metal thing going on because everyone else did.

I thought I was 1337 pr0gman listening to Periphery and Vildhjarta all day lol. No disrespect to either band, but I think I was just forcing myself to like it at one point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
very awesome! Depending on your music tastes you might be severely let down, hahaha, I only say that because most of the SS.org community doesn't exactly line up with the sensibilities of what our Colossus album was "all about" if you will haha. The music was for the most part written as early as 2005 and was assembled into the album during the height of Deathcore thing. It's not really "deathcore" but it definitely aligns with those sensibilities more. All that aside, I hope you like it or are at least anticipating our new albums. Not to rant on about my own band but since I have nothing else to talk about, why not? We are releasing a "split album".. where half of it, named Ironclad, is more aggressive, raw, metal and death metal and deathcore influenced, and is about the "Ironclad Army" from our back-story, and then the other half of it, named Machinations, is more modern, groove-oriented, melodic, metalcore influenced, and is about the "Extropian Army" from our back-story. The two armies are fighting in this chapter of our story and that's another reason i made the "core" vs. "djent" video because that's essentially the exact same thing Ironclad vs. Machinations is :wavey:

I wasn't let down at all, I love the hardcore type parts a lot. Your vocals sound good. The typical breakdowns could be a little more complex, you guys kind of remind me of Blue Ox.

If you mix that hardcore with djent you will be a super hero haha.

Blind Theory

Reaction score
The way I see it, if you listed Periphery, Suicide Silence, and Cannibal Corpse to someone who doesn't listen to metal at all and asked them which is djent, which is deathcore and which is death metal, they would look at you like you were crazy and say they all sounded the same to them. So yeah...fuck genres. If genres are that big of a deal then I just invented djmegacore beatdown blues and I will have people worshiping at my feet with hundreds of pages of stuff in one thread.

FWIW, I got into death metal when Deathcore was huge so I am a huge deathcore fan...so, uh.....fuck djent :lol:

just kidding

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
I think it's time to bring back Swedish Polka. There's no faggots there...oh, wait...

And your point being?:squint:

I stay away from djent as I do with deathcore because I can predict how every song will go, just... every.. song.
If djent does not shape up the genre will be dangerously close to stagnation in a couple of years, we have one billion Peiphery's and AAL's thinking that their specific taste regurgitated fanboy garbage is anything new or unheard of. It's like it says in the video: We like... write songs about... space and stufff.... WORSHIP MY GENIUS:scream:
Nah, I tend to stay as far away from scenes as I possibly can, it always develops to a point where the scene is more important than the music played, if I want elitist douches sneering at me, I'll just go to the nearest Starbucks:noplease:

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
There will always be 'trendy kids' jumping on bandwagons. I think the video was aimed more at the mindless drones following the latest trend hence the 'trendbot'. But there was a subtle irony in that the 'core' guy doing all the ‘face palming’ was from the last 'trendy' genre.

I get more annoyed at people saying: "yeah, I'm such a hardcore metal head! Slipknot and Disturbed are the heaviest shit ever" than talking about Djent bands. :noplease:

My 2c? It's not that Djent is a fad, it's a legitimate genre full of extremely talented musicians. But like anything popular you always get beggars and hangers on. It’s these people that make things a fad. But it's also these people who buy CD's, go to shows, buy merch so perhaps a necessary evil?

bhakan

Reaction score
So I hear everyone here complaining about how many djent ripoffs there are, but I can't think of that many djent bands (and I mean only successful bands, not just any idiot who posts on the internet). Can someone please point out some signed djent bands, other than the obvious periphery, AAl, etc. so I'm not so confused for the next 500 djent threads that will inevitably show up.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I don't know it sort of sucks watching something during it's formulative stages being all new and fresh and watch as it quickly crashes and burns.

Like watching a swan take flight and then get pelted with arrows.

There's like this feeling of pity you can't shake.

gunch

Reaction score
The Contortionist will save djent with their new album :bowdown:

I thought I read in an interview that they were going for a completely new sound for the new album, a departure if you will.

Not that I'm concerned or anything because the clean breaks on Exoplanet were fucking excellent.

I sort of want to see a couple of the more capable bands take Chimpspanner's early 90s synth sounds a little further, 6 tracks wasn't enough man.

Reaction score
So I hear everyone here complaining about how many djent ripoffs there are, but I can't think of that many djent bands (and I mean only successful bands, not just any idiot who posts on the internet). Can someone please point out some signed djent bands, other than the obvious periphery, AAl, etc. so I'm not so confused for the next 500 djent threads that will inevitably show up.

That's cus we're complaining about the any idiots who post on the internet :lol: hahaha. Look up The Djent-lemen's Club and scroll through a couple hundred of posts on their wall and you'll be all caught up.

lurgar

Reaction score
Growing up I could never take most Christian music seriously because of the rip-off problem.

Korn getting famous? Better start making some horrible nu-metal to compete.

Like Eminem? We got people that will do that stuff too and they have clean vocals and talk about God and stuff.

Also, unblack metal.

gunch

Reaction score
Growing up I could never take most Christian music seriously because of the rip-off problem.

Korn getting famous? Better start making some horrible nu-metal to compete.

Like Eminem? We got people that will do that stuff too and they have clean vocals and talk about God and stuff.

Also, unblack metal.

GOD KISS ME SWEETLY IN THE GREEN WARM MEADOOOOOW

chickenxnuggetz91

What kind of sauce?
Reaction score
what does it matter if one like djent or the other styles of music. i don't understand why people get upset when others call it djent. it's a name and what's in a name? besides being a guitar sound it has become a well known way of calling music with the djent technique djent. Also i don't know why people get stuck on one genre. that doesn't seem like the musician thing to do. is it wrong to love all sorts of music?

Alcojuana

Reaction score
how come no one mentions cloudkicker? waaay more responsible for getting me into "djent" than any of these other bands. is it because he plays a 6 string?

')