Correct way of holding a plectrum

WildWayz

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been playing guitar on and off for the last urm 15 years and I recently started lessons again after a break of about 4 years.

Anyway, my new teacher picked up on the fact that the way I hold my pick isnt the 'correct' way of doing it.

I tend to hold it with the tip of my thumb and index finger with the point of the pick pointing towards the tip of my finger.

He said that I should hold it with my index finger curled around the back of my thumb with the pick point 90 degrees from the bottom of my thumb.

Is this the 'correct way'?

Does anyone have any photos of how they hold it?

Ta!

James

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pirelli

Reaction score
The way your teacher is recommending is standard in my opinion, although I don't claim to be an expert.

If the way you're holding it works for you, don't change just for the sake of changing, but if you're having difficulty with some things, experimenting with different ways of holding the pick can't be bad.

Check out this short Paul Gilbert clip, he explains it pretty well, and it's always easier to see it performed rather than described.

YouTube - paul gilbert fast licks and teaches pick angle

Sorry, I'm not sure how to embed it, maybe someone else can help me out there. :wavey:

WildWayz

Reaction score
Thanks! Will check that out tonight when I get home :)

This is how you embed it:
(if HTML is enabled)

ooops looks like the forum is blocking HTML on the forums :)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I imagine the way you were holding it might put some strain on your wrists if you were playing fast. If it worked for 15 years for you, and you didn't have any pains or other problems with your wrists, then there's no real point in changing, unless you find the "standard" more comfortable and easier to play with.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
The way your teacher told you is the "standard" way of holding it. However, as with anything guitar related, it's all about personal preference. If it works for you and doesn't negativelt impact your playing, then go for it. The way you hold your pic worked for you for a long time, so why change it now?

WildWayz

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I will keep on with the 'new' way - it did feel comfortable after a short while and it does make playing a bit more natural...

Thanks again :)

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
You should pick however you feel most comfortable.

My friend holds his picks with THREE fingers and he has no trouble playing.

...He also plays Nu-Metal which I don't suppose you need any proper technique to play, but he can speed pick and jump strings with no problem at all.

The point is he's comfortable.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
(..)
If the way you're holding it works for you, don't change just for the sake of changing, but if you're having difficulty with some things, experimenting with different ways of holding the pick can't be bad.(..)

i think the same.. i mind that what all the great guitarrist says on them istructional vids is: "hold the picks whatever you want. just 2 conditions: it must be confortable for you and it must works right"

=)

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
That would be the "standard" method of holding the pick (damn near everybody holds it that way). For the record the way I hold the pick I stole from Shawn Lane, mainly because he was the fastest economy picker I'd ever seen (probably still is today). It might look like I'm holding the pick with three fingers, but it's just two. I accidentally switched picks between the pictures too (first is a big stubby, second is a jazz III).
picking01dg2.jpg

picking02fv2.jpg

jaxadam

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have been playing guitar on and off for the last urm 15 years and I recently started lessons again after a break of about 4 years.

Anyway, my new teacher picked up on the fact that the way I hold my pick isnt the 'correct' way of doing it.

I tend to hold it with the tip of my thumb and index finger with the point of the pick pointing towards the tip of my finger.

He said that I should hold it with my index finger curled around the back of my thumb with the pick point 90 degrees from the bottom of my thumb.

Is this the 'correct way'?

Does anyone have any photos of how they hold it?

Ta!

James

They way you are describing it, you hold the pick like Steve Morse, and he's no slouch.

I used to hold the pick this same way (15 years ago), my guitar teacher pointed it out, but never told me I needed to correct it.

Anyway, I slowly gravitated towards the way I hold it now, which is "standard" plectrum perpendicular to thumb. It hasn't made much of a difference, it's all in what you're comfortable with.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
That would be the "standard" method of holding the pick (damn near everybody holds it that way). (..)

ahahah!! i found finally a man that hold the pick like me!! ahah.. no man.. isn't the way that everybody uses.. is exactly reverted! =)

here is my way of holding it.. see here.. would be the same!

:wavey:

Nick

Reaction score
i hold my pick with my thumb and my index....and middle finger....:S

apparently this is the 'hetfield way' Never having been into metallica and wouldnt know and if it is true has happened totally by chance.

i cant play for shit holding it the 'standard' way.

the way you hold a pick is deffinetly something that is personal preference

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i hold my pick with my thumb and my index....and middle finger....:S

apparently this is the 'hetfield way' Never having been into metallica and wouldnt know and if it is true has happened totally by chance.

i cant play for shit holding it the 'standard' way.

the way you hold a pick is deffinetly something that is personal preference

That's the Carlos Santana/Steve Morse/Pat Metheny method as well. I've experimented with it in the past, as an addition to my regular picking style. I found that, for me, it's great for cross-picking, and gives huge amounts of projection on acoustic guitar, but makes sweeping and economy picking really awkward.
I've always liked the tone the reverse-angled pick gives for alternate picking (Chris Amott does it as well; check out the video for 'The Immortal' by Arch Enemy, where you can see it clearly during the solo), but I've never really gotten comfortable with it.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I used the Santana style of pick holding for 5 or so of the ~7 years I've been playing. Then I joined a band and had to get tighter with my double/triple picking. It took me a while to get used to it, but after I switched over to the "standard" pick holding position, I found my playing was a lot tighter and better defined. I can see where the other way might be better for some styles of playing, but this way definitely seems to work better for metal.

MetalSir

ESP Fanatic
Reaction score
That's the Carlos Santana/Steve Morse/Pat Metheny method as well.

are you speaking about my method of holding the pick? =)

i don't know.. this is the reason why i tell some posts ago that holding the pick is really a personal choice.. and i mind that even the size, the shape and the thickness of the pick are personal choice..
I can't play with a wide and thin pick.. I need to have a solid handle and at the same time the tip of the pick must be very close to my thumb..

i can play only with dunlop's 2.0mm stubby..
4ktf5go.gif

now i must go or my girlfriend will kill me.. :scream:

Latest posts

')