Cost of wiring a pickup

• Thread starter Rusty_cooley702
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
How much would it cost for someone to install 2 pickups
no routing is required but i don't wanna fuck up my guitar

i would try to but all i have is a soldering gum and its pretty heavy and dangerous i dont wanna fuck up my hand either

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
I would probably expect 200 if it were just the pick-ups. If your doing a complete overhaul, add about 50 for parts.

BTW, if you were to do it yourself, use a 30w solder gun, there's no need for anything bigger. Also, again, if you were to choose this path, be sure to use rosin core solder.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
I would probably expect 200 if it were just the pick-ups. If your doing a complete overhaul, add about 50 for parts.

BTW, if you were to do it yourself, use a 30w solder gun, there's no need for anything bigger. Also, again, if you were to choose this path, be sure to use rosin core solder.

cool thanks for answering

DeL07

SS.org Sushi Whore
Reaction score

That's madness, expect more around 60$ to 80$... There's no way they can charge you 200 for hardly an hour and a half of work!

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone charges you $200, walk out the door. Around here in Phoenix, the going rate for a simple pickup wiring like that is about $60. $85 is extreme. If you have the wiring diagrams for the pickup you're using, why not try to wire it yourself? You won't fuck up your guitar, you might just fuck up a volume pot or a switch, and those are cheap and easy to replace.

Get yourself a $5 fine-tip soldering iron at your local electronic store, some solder, a $5 soldering iron stand, some tweezers, and a $10wire stripper. That's what, $20-$25 with tax and you can wire anything.

Just my $0.02

OzzyC

Reaction score
That's madness, expect more around 60$ to 80$... There's no way they can charge you 200 for hardly an hour and a half of work!

I was assuming the price would include the PUs, thus, my assesment.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I agree, learning to solder stuff yourself is worth it in the long haul. I've been soldering my own stuff since I got the SD Hot Rails in my Samick. Its really not that bad if you take your time.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
how would you guys reccomend i practice soldering

aslo would one of those cold heat soldering irons work???

OzzyC

Reaction score
how would you guys reccomend i practice soldering

aslo would one of those cold heat soldering irons work???

Reviews of the cold heat things don't show much promise, their prone to breaking, and the fix costs as much as a new one of them. Just go for a solder pen.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
Reviews of the cold heat things don't show much promise, their prone to breaking, and the fix costs as much as a new one of them. Just go for a solder pen.

ok
would a small 6 watt soldering pen work

sorry for all the nooby questions guys

OzzyC

Reaction score
ok
would a small 6 watt soldering pen work

sorry for all the nooby questions guys

6w? I don't know. I just had my mom buy me a 30w one from wal-mart. She says it was cheap, but I'm not exactly sure how much.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
6w? I don't know. I just had my mom buy me a 30w one from wal-mart. She says it was cheap, but I'm not exactly sure how much.

ok i think ill buy a 30 watt soldering iron

so i can practice on my piece of shit squier

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
You can do what I did and find a friend or a tech who you can PAY to wire them up, but see if they will TEACH YOU how to do it. My buddy took like $75 for doing a complete setup on my guitar AND he taught me how to solder pickups properly and everything. I can do it myself now, I just prefer not to on my nice stuff because I'm always afraid of slipping with the iron and messing up my more expensive guitars. :ugh:

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
damn, after reading this thread, i really have to raise my prices for wiring/ setups :lol:. at the moment i usually charge $30 for a setup. wiring (depending on the work involved and if parts are supplied) is usually between $30 and $70. btw, i bought a soldering iron kit from radio shack about 10 years ago for about $10 and still use it to this day!

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
i think imma get a soldering iron from radio shack imm gonna practice on old guitar strings

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
i think imma get a soldering iron from radio shack imm gonna practice on old guitar strings

Part of my lesson was the dude gave me a busted potentiometer and let me solder and desolder wires to the lugs. Go down to like a tiny mom & pop guitar shop (if there are even any of those around anymore :noplease: ) and see if they have broken potentiometers that they might give you or sell to you for like a quarter and practice with one of those! :wavey:

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
Part of my lesson was the dude gave me a busted potentiometer and let me solder and desolder wires to the lugs. Go down to like a tiny mom & pop guitar shop (if there are even any of those around anymore :noplease: ) and see if they have broken potentiometers that they might give you or sell to you for like a quarter and practice with one of those! :wavey:

i live in sin city dude
most buisnesses here are big
i doubt i can find one of those
:wallbash:

shadowgenesis

Yarrrrrr
Reaction score
yeah dude. unless you're really worried about fucking up a real expensive guitar, it is way more a worthwhile investment to learn to do it yourself. Whatever soldering iron you get, make sure it's an appropriate size, cuz the only one i have is definitely too big to really be using for this kind of work and it was always awkward as fuck.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
your average potentiometer only runs about $4 or less. buying a new one to experiment on isn't gonna break the bank.

')