Cost of wiring a pickup

• Thread starter Rusty_cooley702
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
yeah dude. unless you're really worried about fucking up a real expensive guitar, it is way more a worthwhile investment to learn to do it yourself. Whatever soldering iron you get, make sure it's an appropriate size, cuz the only one i have is definitely too big to really be using for this kind of work and it was always awkward as fuck.

i love the guitar its not the price dude and its an rg7620 RB from 98 i dont ythis those are that easy to find
but i also wat to fix my dean ml guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
your average potentiometer only runs about $4 or less. buying a new one to experiment on isn't gonna break the bank.

Yeah that was going to be my response too, Ed. :yesway: They're not expensive, so you could always buy a NICER potentiometer, pull the old one out and test on THAT one, then put the nicer one in when you feel comfortable enough to wire it up in your guitar. :hbang:

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
Yeah that was going to be my response too, Ed. :yesway: They're not expensive, so you could always buy a NICER potentiometer, pull the old one out and test on THAT one, then put the nicer one in when you feel comfortable enough to wire it up in your guitar. :hbang:

thanks i didnt know that they were cheap this is the thing that measures the out put of a pickup right???

ShawnFjellstad

hates womanizers.
Reaction score
i live in sin city dude
most buisnesses here are big
i doubt i can find one of those
:wallbash:

sorry for being off-topic, but have you ever been to ed roman's?

i was just in vegas and i went to ed roman's and i was thoroughly disappointed.
they had about 10 nice guitars and 1876217869372163 pieces of shit.

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
sorry for being off-topic, but have you ever been to ed roman's?

i was just in vegas and i went to ed roman's and i was thoroughly disappointed.
they had about 10 nice guitars and 1876217869372163 pieces of shit.

yeah ive been there
i bought my first "decent" guitar there which was an MLF (F standing for floyd a real piece of shit tremolo)
the had a shitload of knockoffs
all their good guitars were like $2000
when i went

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
thanks i didnt know that they were cheap this is the thing that measures the out put of a pickup right???

No a potentiometer is the metal housing under the knobs sticking up out of your guitar, usually used for controlling volume, tone or as a blend. They are only $3-4, so just grab a couple good ones and remove your originals and test on THEM, then when you're comfortable install the new ones and solder that badboy up! :yesway:

P.S. They look like this:

pot.jpg

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
No a potentiometer is the metal housing under the knobs sticking up out of your guitar, usually used for controlling volume, tone or as a blend. They are only $3-4, so just grab a couple good ones and remove your originals and test on THEM, then when you're comfortable install the new ones and solder that badboy up! :yesway:

P.S. They look like this:

pot.jpg

my other guitar's connection was fucked up in the input jack got disconnected so yesterday after i got a sort of a grip in the iron i soldered in and fixed it myself
:)
do they sell potentometers in major stores like sam ash??

If you lived close enough to me I'd do it for you for free :)

aww then i wish i lived close to ya
lol
:)

Back to the original question: I paid 50$ for a 2-pick-up install. It took about half an hour.

was it a 5 way connection?? or just a 3 way??

')