Could an 8-string Floyd Rose be retrofitted to an Ibanez RGA8?

• Thread starter tabqwerty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
I wish I would have thought of this sooner.
Yes, if you get significant work done. You'll need to rout the body. I'm sure I've seen some Ibanez 8 strings be retrofitted with floating bridges.

But it's not a matter of 'retrofitting' the trem. It's a fixed-bridge guitar, you'll need to rout out everything to fit the whole system in. It's significant work, by no means a 'drop-in' system.

Hyper-Rob

Reaction score
You'd have to see if the string spacing on the floyd even aligns with that of the Ibanez- might be fine, or might make the width of the string spread smaller, giving you too much space on the edges of the neck, or too wide, making strings land off the edge of the fretboard as you get closer to the neck pickup. Could get weird. Could be cool- Definitely would be expensive.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
You'll have to rout the body, fill/drill holes for the trem studs, probably shim the neck, then repaint everything, then install the Floyd Rose, then wonder why you spent all this time and money on a budget instrument.
Haha, exactly. But I feel your pain, OP. Floyds are a dime a dozen on sixxers and 7s, but an 8 with a Floyd is rarer than a three legged ballerina.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Even if you could do the mod, finding someone willing to do the work for less than the cost of a custom made body is nearly impossible.

This is how I arrived at having a body custom made for my 8 string with a Floyd.

')