Could my speaker be blown?

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with my cab... It's a B-52 ST-412, it comes loaded with vintage 30's. It was just fine until a couple weeks ago, when i was playing clean with my 7 (nothing crazy just standard low b) and I heard an odd buzzing coming from the bottom right speaker. I did more tests with various guitars/cables/settings etc and a palm muted Bb chord seems to make it go crazy (not low Bb sadly, first fret A string Bb). My cat freaked out and thought there was a bug inside the cab it was so bad. I opened it up and checked to make sure nothing was loose but all the screws were tight. I took out the casters and even the caster holders just to eliminate the chance of vibrations causing it, but it still does it. Do you think my speaker is blown? Is this worth taking to a local shop to get checked out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
umm. did you try to inspect the cone for tears?
sounds like you checked for everything BUT the speaker being blown

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
well i'm kindof a noob when it comes to amps and such, so i didn't/don't know excactly what to look for to see if the speaker is blown.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
ah, its chill duders, well get you sorted out ;)
first, pull the front screen or whatever off the amp, so you can see the fronts of the speakers. then play till you can hear it buzz, and watch the speaker you suspect is blown. it will be vibrating all kinds, and just look like its not working as the rest. you might be able to see part of it moving more than the rest. then unplug and power down, and sort of push around gently on the cone. there is most likely a tear somewhere in the paper of the speaker

')