Could you guys take a look at my mix?

• Thread starter eegor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Hey there. So, I'm a total noob to this recording thing. I've put together this little diddy over the past couple of weeks and was wondering if you guys could point out what needs work and what I need to change. Here's the song file:

SoundClick artist: Ryan Bradley - page with MP3 music downloads

I'm using an Agile Septor with a Q-Tuner Super High-Z/High-Z combo into an ENGL Invader 100, direct into Logic. Panned left is a Mesa 4x12 impulse and right is an Orange 4x12 impulse. Drums are SD2.0 with MF.

Any advice you guys have would be much appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manana

Reaction score
sounds amazing dude. can you tell me what you did to the tracks. What eq, comp, etc?

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Thanks! I really appreciate all of that. As far as eq'ing the guitar goes, I took off a little from about 200 Hz and below (meaning about 2 db) and then another 2 db around 1.5 kHz. I'm still really new to compression, so i just applied a default setting with a relatively high threshold and no added output gain. For the leads I put on some flange for the first bit and chorus for the second bit.

As for the impulses, I bought Recabinet (which is awesome, by the way) and used the Ghandi model from 2.0 and applied a 57 (i think) with the edge_grill setting plus a D6 mic with a low pass filter. The Tangerine model i used an i5 mic with the edge_grill setting and the same D6 mic in tandem.

As for the Q-Tuners, I've really grown to love them in my Septor. They're different, but I love the sound I'm getting. It's really clear and defined, quite a bit of high end. I'm not the greatest at describing things like this, so I'll stop there.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
I think the snare is a bit on the loud side.

But otherwise sounds great!

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I've found that the mp3 version is much different than the actual Logic file, and it does come out a bit loud.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I've found that the mp3 version is much different than the actual Logic file, and it does come out a bit loud.

That's the awesomeness of compression of MP3 files for ya.
Gotta love it..:wallbash:

ma7erick

Left Handed Shecter
Reaction score
Flawless mix... Period. Thanks for sharing what you did in terms of production.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I don't know about flawless, but I definitely appreciate the comment.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Sounds good, great tune! I think the overheads were a bit high and bright. Guitars sounded pretty good. Did you double track your guitar or did you just use two different impulses for one take?

Radicz0r

Worst Dude
Reaction score
The mix and both the song intro made me think i was listening to Sikth for a second, haha.

Which is a good thing. +1

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
This is some pro mixing, not gonna lie. And also, the "djent" is very present, makes it so much sexier.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Thanks for the critique, guys. I double tracked the guitars on this recording, but I have a previous version on soundclick as well (it's the same song but the "mix 2" version), if you feel so inclined to listen, that is just the same guitar track using two separate impulses panned left and right.

Reaction score
on the master track, i'd add a scooped EQ to be honest, it sounds too in your face. but besides that, awesome stuff, keep on going

Reaction score
Cymbals and guitar are too loud.

Bring the guitars down about 1db and the cymbals about 2 and it would be perfect. EQ wise everything sits in a good spot. The kick is a bit "flubby" but it works for this find of music.

')