Covers for 19-EDO Guitar

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I need to record some cover songs, but I'm looking for a song that is:

A) instrumental or could be done as an instrumental and still satisfy
B) easily recognizable on guitar
C) easy to program an appropriate drum beat arrangement on a drum machine
D) not super hard to play, but not mind-numbingly easy.

My goal is to practice the song on the 19-EDO guitar and record it, then, for better or for worse, post it for those who are curious about it.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Metallica? Maybe Master of Puppets?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Master of Puppets may be a little chromatic...could be interesting, though. What about Leper Messiah?

Any other ideas?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'll try some Old Metallica and try working on Apache for now. I don't want to get too spacey, though. I'm looking for a kind of normal song so I can convert it and see how normal it sounds afterwards.

Thanks for the ideas! Keep 'em coming.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Please don't mind me asking, but what is a 19-EDO guitar?

A guitar with 19 notes per octave.

Yes, that sums it up. The fret placement is different, so that the only note that matches a standard tuned guitar is the A. The sharps and flats are split apart from each other, so that the unique notes are: Ab A A# Bb B C C# Db D D# Eb E F F# Gb G G#, and there are also two enharmonic notes B#/Cb and E#/Fb.

ZOMBIE...

... RITUAL.

That could be interesting! I'll have to try that to see how weird it'll sound.

How do you plan to convert it? By closest approximate pitch, or letter name?

My first try will be by letter name, since that's easy to do and works >90% of the time. If I come across some weird note that doesn't make sense, I'll swap it for whichever comes closest to sounding right. So far I've only noticed augmented scale intervals, like aug 2, aug 3 and aug 6 sounding far enough off to move them, but that's not even in every instance.

Anything very technical to play on a standard guitar is nine times harder on this thing. Easy songs are just as easy to play, and to be honest, I haven't found any middle ground. I think that if I can pull off 19-EDO for something challenging, but not impossible at my level of playing, it'll help me grow a little. Plus, I've tried all of the easy classic rock covers and most of them end up pretty boring and sound basically the same.

B36arin

Reaction score
C) easy to program an appropriate drum beat arrangement on a drum machine

Just a tip, you do know that it's possible to export MIDI from Guitar Pro, right? So if you find a guitar pro tab of the song that you want to cover that has drums in it you can use that programming and fix the velocities for the different drums so that it doesn't sound too digital. Should save you some time compared to programming everything yourself :)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just a tip, you do know that it's possible to export MIDI from Guitar Pro, right? So if you find a guitar pro tab of the song that you want to cover that has drums in it you can use that programming and fix the velocities for the different drums so that it doesn't sound too digital. Should save you some time compared to programming everything yourself :)

Is there a freeware version of Guitar Pro? I really don't want to spend $$ on a tab program that will be outdated by the time I actually get around to using it properly.

So is the youtube clip as abysmal as I thought it would be?

ixlramp

Reaction score
I really enjoyed that, especially your head-banging pet. The new pitches of microtonal music do something indescribably delicious to me, like my soul is twisting.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
How about some simple black metal with some distorted triads.
In theory 19EDO would sound much better in this circumstance than 12EDO would.