Covers That Are Better Than The Original Songs

• Thread starter SoItGoesRVA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score

Jeez, why does everyone have to keep covering that song? No one's done it as well as Jeff Buckley but they just keep on coming. There are at least three covers of it that constantly come on the bland radio station my coworkers listen to, one being Rufus Wainright and another being Jeff Buckley and the other being even lamer than Wainright's. The Jeff Buckley one is obviously the one regular people all turn their nose up at, and popular opinion seems to be that Rufus Wainright wrote it for Shrek! :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Jeez, why does everyone have to keep covering that song? No one's done it as well as Jeff Buckley but they just keep on coming. There are at least three covers of it that constantly come on the bland radio station my coworkers listen to, one being Rufus Wainright and another being Jeff Buckley and the other being even lamer than Wainright's. The Jeff Buckley one is obviously the one regular people all turn their nose up at, and popular opinion seems to be that Rufus Wainright wrote it for Shrek! :wallbash:

Before Rufus Wainright, most people probably just assumed Jeff Buckley wrote it.

For whatever reason, Love Song by the Cure was THE song to cover about ten years ago, and I heard three different versions within the space of a month or two. I don't even think it's a particularly good song to begin with, and none of the covers were terribly impressive.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Some rather interesting choices here.

I'm torn between the Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's Hurt. The original is so evil and eerie but cash's cover turned it into a depressing ballad, which suit the lyrics well. I love the original and Cash did it some justice... sans that damn clicking in the end, no thanks to Rick Rubin. :squint:

I loathe that Homefront covers album. :lol: Periphery's cover of One takes away all the broody and dark elements of the original and overproduces it to a point of being too pretty for it's own good. Spencer's vocals don't help it either.

I agree with wankerness about Hallelujah. Jeff Buckley's cover was magnificent (actually, half Grace were good covers). Every other cover of it just pales in comparison.

A lot of the Garage Inc stuff I'll also agree, but then again I grew up with Metallica.

But that's just my opinion. Take it as a grain of salt. :)

As for my contributions:

This song was tailor made for DLR to cover. He was meant to do it and he did it well.

Now I love Tears for Fears and all, but this just brings the song to life, and it suits the lyrics to a point where it overshadows the original.

It's a cover of an old 80s J-Pop female duet. The song's been covered to death by Japanese girls and pop stars alike, but to have a male to record a female duet on his own, yet somehow capture the "waiting for lost love" theme is pretty impressive. Plus the Parisian arrangement is perfect for it too.

A cover of a PIL song based on the Left Field remix. This version takes the best elements of the Left Field remix and turns it into a political uprising theme with John Lydon's attitude and venom intact. Flynn Gower's voice just makes it angrier, which in this case, it's a plus.

There's plenty more but these leave a lasting impression right now.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Van Halen - You Really Got Me

Hendrix - Wild Thing Live Monterey

Not better but fuck me its a beautiful version....

Sneaky one but no one said you couldn't add tracks where a band covers their own song! And any song with John Sykes on guitar is an instant improvement!!
Whitesnake - Crying in the Rain (1987 with John Sykes)

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Sorry to double post but had a flood of covers I love come to mind! LOL!

GnR - Mamma Kin (Love the original but personally I prefer this version)

Aerosmith with Jimmy Page Donnington MoR 1990 - Train Keep a Rolling

Jeff Beck - People Get Ready

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Awesome song covered amazingly
Not better but certainly bloody close....
Death - Painkiller

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Message in A Bottle by Machine Head, but only the album version. I heard 'em cover it live once and it was nogoods.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Marilyn Manson

DarrenC (fellow SS.org member)

Sybreed (Killing Joke version is pretty awesome too though)

Mushroomhead

stuz719

Stoic. With a small "s".
Reaction score
Unfortunately this thread is so unresponsive due to the multitudinous YouTube links that I can't check whether someone else has mentioned The Byrds and their Dylan covers.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score

and i wouldn't necessarily say its better, but they did one hell of a job covering this

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Unfortunately this thread is so unresponsive due to the multitudinous YouTube links that I can't check whether someone else has mentioned The Byrds and their Dylan covers.

Bob Dylan creates a great canvas that other musicians totally exploit and make their own.

Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
G&R - Knocking On Heaven's Door
Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
Scaggs - Girl From The North County

Etc and ad infinitum...

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
The final countdown, improved beyond repair :lol: I really think it is better. Note the absence of reverb and delay and how that reveals what's left of the song then.

And this one. The "Oh, Vienna" could come out with more power, but that bassguitar, the crunchy guitars, just awesome. And some modern dance sounds are mixed in, without completely raping the original. Just good taste.

And Manson's darker version of Tainted Love is a much better match with the lyrics.

')