Creating a 3D Robot

• Thread starter Alimination
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
For my current musical project I’m working on, The band wants to focus visually to help make things more interesting to & help stand us out more... and maybe attract those not too fond of instrumental music. This is great news for me since I’m a hardcore artist and visual enthusiast!

We had the idea of being a subtle gimmick band, not to the extent of Gwar but still have some kind of bizarre background with characters, settings, etc and have them animated for videos over web, or projectors (Interacting with the crowd maybe?). We're not thinking too far along, but for not just keeping it simple.

I’m not going to bore you all with the details of our idea, but one of the main characters we agreed on was a sexy female robot assistant. I figured it would be a cool project to work on and show you all how I go about designing a character with multiple programs.

A journal perhaps?

-----
Concept-
The idea is simple, nothing over the top.
-A female super sexy Android
-Shiny chrome / slick looking
-glowy lights
-Wires, n bolts
-Color theme would be red and white based off the album cover

Here is my quick and dirty sketch.

Concept.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Today I got to borrow my cousins face for this.

1012111316.jpg

54354-1.jpg

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
:yesway:

Nice !! My band does something similar. We got a projector and put fractals at the back which played through our entire set list. So you have fractal zooms and psychedelic background over a spacey psychedelic band. It worked pretty well.

Nowadays you really have to make the effort to do something different to make the crowd remember you. Our last attempt *cough*bubble blowing machine*cough* was a spectacular failure. Not only did it die halfway through the 2nd song, it made a puddle of soap-water goo and prevented people from coming close to the stage !!! :wallbash:

Will watch this thread closely ...

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
^^^ LOL!! I'm sorry to hear about your bubble machine incident.

But yeah I hear you. It adds a whole lot of different vibe to the performance. I've seen Show like Rush or tool *my picture below*

390378_278401475553030_100001495390150_790886_2071293303_n.jpg

It's a whole different experience. It really inspired us to try and attempt such things. :)
Also, I'd love to see a video of your bands performance with the fractals, mate.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Robot.png

Had a lot of free time on my hand today, and got a huge chunk done. Most of it was used from a previous female body I made, and I just adjusted it to this new one. From then on I just took off pieces and extruded it to make sections of the robot.

We were thinking of names for her the other day, and we thought of Dott.

(from the 90s tv show reboot) :lol:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I don't know much about how to do digital art, but I've always loved and been in awe of it. The idea is awesome, and it's looking really good :agreed:

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Your cousin looks kinda like Maggie Siff.

Kind of, I could kind see that. Then again, I sliced up her face in photoshop and mirrored it to make it symmetrical. She's crazy skinny though in person, vs maggie who has an awesome curvy body. lol

Anyways, finished the modeling portion.

Preview2.jpg

Preview1.jpg

I'm ready to Unwrap and begin painting this bionic slut.

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
^^^^

haha totally. Naw his is more steam punk looking. I guess mine is more like "IRobot" kinda. I found a lot of neat refs off google images, by just typing sexy robot :lol:

Anyways, I finished unwrapping the inner layer of Dott and began painting her.

Innerlayer.jpg

Applied some mental ray arch and design materials and this is what I ended up with.

Innerlayer2.jpg

I don't know why I worked so hard on the inner layer, when the outer shell is going to be covering most of these cool details. =(

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Finished unwrapping and painting the outer layer... horrible pain the ass.

Outer_Layer.jpg

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Render.jpg

Final look for Dott.

well.. I may go back and fix a couple things, but for now it's fine the way it is.

I'm going to take a break on it for awhile as some more important things decided to bombard me. I will put bones and set up facial expressions for animation later.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
You absolutely gorgeous sick monkey !!! THAT IS AMAZING !! :hbang:

Man, its so badass you can create things like this. That's really, really awesome ! Its great following this thread ! I love to see how art gets created. This is the first time I've seen how 3D models are rendered. Loving it !

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
I went back to rig her up some more for animations. Getting different facial expressions set up.

Other then that I created this cool lookin matte painting. Hope you guys like.

Encoder.jpg

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I could not find a word in the English Language to describe my reaction to this.

So I will go with this

A-Freakin-Awesomesauce-insane-sick-monkey-surrealistic-demigodly-awesome work.

there .... still an understatement ...

:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang:::hbang:

')