Creative alternatives to getting a rack!

• Thread starter JohnIce
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least the size is manageable. My grudge against 4x12"s isn't really the weight, it's that they're so big that you have to lift them with your shoulders instead of stronger muscles. A 100w tube head might weigh more but it's a lot easier to carry, at least for a smallish guy like myself.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
no racks for me :D

101_2147.jpg

Marmaduke

Somethingcore
Reaction score
I think a lot of what makes a rack look amazing or ugly is the amount of space left in it which makes it look redundant and stupid and also how cleanly everything is patched together. It's sort of the same thing as pedalboards, because I can't stand a pedalboard where the pedals are falling all over the place and the cables are trailing over everything or even worse if there is no board at all! But the a neat pedalboard with everything laid out clearly is a joy to use. Those Brunetti heads do look awesome and I think amp manufacturers should include that as on option when you buy a head, that would be awesome :)

Oh and the rack/combo thing looks pretty sweet, looking forward to a little picstory!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
This. Racking your black equipment next to your black equipment, and your silver equipment next to your silver equipment helps a rack look nice as well (MARCO. :squint:).

:lol:

QuambaFu

Reaction score
I've built combo units into heads and 2x12 cabinets. I'm starting a 6U rack unit tomorrow for my power amp, pod and power conditioner.

I'm going to tolex it and put two handles on the top sides which will leave room for a laptop. Mojotone.com is my friend. They have everything but the birch plywood.

I will post pics when I finish it in a couple weeks.

wlfers

Reaction score
Ive always loved the look of a well constructed rack... I actually used to think heads were ugly ahaha.

Sadly, I'll admit that I let cosmetics get in the way too. One of the reasons why I haven't swapped out my Boss gt-pro for the gsp1101 is that the gsp wouldn't fit as well in my rig cosmetically (gonna spray paint that thing i swear...)

DC23

Reaction score
I love the idea of putting rack gear in a headshell. First couple of pics are awesome. I have 4U of rack gear that I would love to put into a headshell. No idea where to start though!

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ Damn, 30 posts in and I hadn't realized the hilarity in that post. I'm disappointed in myself :lol:

It's ok to have a mismatched rack though, in fact it's very normal.

SplinteredSoul

7 String FTW
Reaction score
I found these over at the Randall MTS forums, and I thought the concepts were really cool and figured I should share them with you dudes! Racks are, in my opinion, ugly but necessary. These guys worked around it :)

I've been thinking of making a fake "head" to put my Axe-Fx in myself, definately redundant as it'll take up more space, make it harder to transport and will weigh more, but fuck that it would be cool :lol:

This guy made a head shell instead of a rack, to match his amp head :)
head.jpg

And these guys simply built their rack units into their amp heads:

lynchbox-light.png

Multimlok.jpg

Pretty sweet! I've never seen it done before. Has anyone tried it?

I actually came up with this idea in 2006 and called it the "Rack n Stack" system, and mine also integrated a plug-less design for connectivity between multiple racks. I sent the idea to Marshall in 2007, and Paul Marshall didn't feel there'd be a market for them. Sent the design to Engl last year, and they responded without actually saying anything at all. To be honest, I don't think any company wants to manufacture something that'll end up having someone else's badge on it, and I don't have the means to make these myself. So instead, I had Castle Cases in the UK make me a happy medium - Rack cases that are the full width of my amp head, but with an integrated pull-out drawer to fill the extra space. It works far better for me this way, as I will always have more and more rack gear.

')