Criss Oliva compilation video

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That kicks ass! Funny, even if I didn't know what that video was, I could have told you it was Criss just from the first few notes...:metal:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, same. He's one of those guys, like George Lynch, two or three notes and you immediately know it's him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eku_C1JaZbo

I remember seeing this for the first time on MTV, it's what got me into them in the first place. I friggin' love 'Tage. :metal: Try as I may though, I just can't get into Jon Oliva's singing. Zakk just fit them so well, and while I like Circle II Circle, it doesn't even come close to the stuff he did with them.'

Edit: Man, how fucking great is the solo in EoT? :hbang:

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Agreed. Jon can sing the ass of certain songs, but Zak Stevens was just untouchable; probably the greatest rock singer ever IMHO. When he took over on vocals it took the music to another level (RE. The criminally underrated 'Handful of Rain' album.).
It's the same with Fates Warning; a lot of people don't like the Ray Alder albums, but I love them all. Jon Arch's vocals kinda ruin the first four albums for me.

Wierd thing is with Criss, it's kinda hard to pin down exactly what makes him so distinctive...I don't know if it's the tone or vibrato, but there's something about his playing that no-one else seems to be able to capture.

EDIT: The EoT solo does indeed kick much ass! It's just so dramatic and intense...

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Handful of Rain's lack of popularity has nothing to do with the vocals. Skolnick couldn't fill Oliva's shoes, period. Hate that CD, and the Live in Japan where Alex fucking butchers Criss's solos.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
HoR (the song itself) is pretty good, and Chance is awesome, but songs like Taunting Cobras are low on my list of Savatunes that I like. I'm with Toshiro on this one.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
I miss Criss.. He was Savatage in my opinion. And his tone was awesome.:yesway:

Latest posts

')