Criticize my vocals

DGKarehere

french dude, Brian
Reaction score
Hey I'm new on this forum and I just wanted to say I'm a drummer in a band that will start gigs soon. I'm also a guitarist since 2007 ..I think.:squint: I'm a french dude so, respect me:metal:

SO, I'll stop telling you my life and talk about the main subject haha
I started doing vocals 2 months ago and I posted a video here to get feedback on my tone and all improvements I could make. Of course, I prefer to not get comments like THIS IS DUMB. PERIOD. AND I know I was always completely off in this video. I just wanted to focus on my tone. Really.:cool: I didn't know the lyrics so I read them on my ipod. AND yeaah.. this is Emmure. Not the best vocalist on the market:rolleyes: JUST.. talk about what I could improve aaaand I will be happy with this.:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
You have ZERO control over your lyricism or vocals. Work on that. Think ahead.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Sounds like its all coming from your throat not your gut. You're close to getting the right place though.

DGKarehere

french dude, Brian
Reaction score
Sounds like its all coming from your throat not your gut. You're close to getting the right place though.
this is actually something I noticed before. sometimes I just feel it through my all my body:scratch: or the stomach like Revan132 said, instead of just feeling it in my throat. I guess that's what I have to do because it seems to be more of a warm tone:scratch:. I'll definitly work on trying to keep feeling it through my stomach eheh.:idea:

I will definitly LEARN the lyrics next time and put all chances on my side. I guess all I have to do now is practice and practice and care about preserving my voice.

I don't think I force my voice waay too much but, I know this is something you have to master when you scream.(the part with Won't you be my bride was REALLY forced I don't know why..)

BTW I really enjoy y'all listened and took time to write something down to help me. :yesway:

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
^ Well it's a testament for me because I managed to not voice an elitist opinion. :lol:

But I've been trying to learn growling/grunting-type vocals myself and I really respect people that do it well a lot. It's harder than it looks. The worst part is that when I tried asking pros (like Bill Richardson of Decrepit Birth and Frank Mullen of Suffocation) how they do it, they don't even have a clue as to how to explain it to me. Bill even told me that it was "a natural talent" so I dunno...

Best advice I've heard is that it has to come from your gut, and you have to push it out of your diaphragm. (kinda the way a dog pants) The tighter you close your lips together (like in an "o" shape) the lower your pitch. The wider you open your mouth, the higher pitched your growl becomes.

Outside of that, all I can suggest is to get some Melissa Cross tapes and practice your ass off. If I recall, she's the vocal coach for Angela Glassow (Arch Enemy) and Randy Blythe (Lamb of God) so I'm pretty sure she's good at what she does.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I have a question:

Do people around you think you're fucking insane when you're practicing that stuff?

I had the cops called on me when I was learning how to scream way back when.

Screaming (growling, whatever) is fairly easy. Literally anyone can do it. The only talent is in your delivery and phrasing, and arguably lyrically. Fuck the Zen of Screaming. It assumes you already know how to scream, which is not always the case. Plus, she teaches the "Fry Method". Youtube that for lulz. Unless you wanna sound like Keith Buckley (which isn't a bad thing) stay away.

If there's enough of a demand, I might do a tutorial. I can do it all, from the La Dispute/Skramz stuff to disgusting, slamming goregrind nonsense.

Another tip, don't just scream along to songs you like. You'll try to match your scream to theirs, and while this is okay sometimes, more often than not you're trying to get a sound that just isn't meant to be. If you'll notice, there's about 15 standard types of screams, and they have less to do with technique than biological factors out of your control.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
^I'd love to see a tutorial that would help me with that shit. If I got it down well enough, I'd be able to say that my side project is TRULY a one-man project.

Revan132

Reaction score
I had the cops called on me when I was learning how to scream way back when.

Another tip, don't just scream along to songs you like. You'll try to match your scream to theirs, and while this is okay sometimes, more often than not you're trying to get a sound that just isn't meant to be. If you'll notice, there's about 15 standard types of screams, and they have less to do with technique than biological factors out of your control.

I used to cry a little inside when I was a kid; I tried to do vocal covers of Lamb of God stuff and it just never ever worked out. What you said above is extremely accurate, while similarities with other singers may be shared, ultimately you should form your own style with your own sound. This is how I got to where I am today... hopefully I will be able to show you guys some of my stuff sometime soon. I get complimented a lot on my scream :lol:. I am really fond of my highs.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
:noplease:

You SERIOUSLY need to improve your breathing.

Also as a Vocal instructor I would actually suggest somewhat mastering melodic singing BEFORE Metal screams/growls... simply because you learn:

1) How to control your own vocals... how they work for you in different situations. They are an instrument... and just like when it's fuck-off cold and your playing guitar/drums and you have to warm up more/adjust playing styles... Your vocal chords need to be treated differently for different situations. Also they're changing constantly due to the environment and their use...

2) To have a good control over melodic singing you need not just good breath control, but you need to have a reasonable lunge capacity. Once you've got this, the power needed for screams and growls is easy...

One REALLY easy way to increase your lunge capacity is this. Simply breathe using your diaphragm (it feels like your breathing into your stomach and your stomach should stick out not your chest and your shoulders should not go up) and count upwards out loud... without breathing

3) Control of your vocal chords means switching back and forth between melody and growls is easier.

and that's all I can be stuffed writing right now because it's 3:30 and I Really should've gone to sleep ages ago

sarkophagus

Reaction score
its not too bad. when i was learning to do deathmetal vocals i did alot of whitechapel and decapitated they really developed my lows i think you should give them a go aswell

')