Critique my mix, I'm new to mixing/mastering (proggy metal)

p0rnstache

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently recorded a song, and for the first time ever I tried to mix/master myself - how did I do? I know nothing about mixing/mastering, any advice is appreciated!

The song is recorded with my ESP EX through a POD X3 into Studio One. Bass was recorded with my guitar as well through Guitar Rig 5. Drums are SD 2.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/vitaelab/karabin-2014-2[/SC]

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Pretty sick composition, jeez. And I've definitely heard worse people that were new to mixing/mastering. I'd bring up the drums a bit, or back down guitars, they're definitely too loud.

The bass could come up a notch as well.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Pretty sick composition, jeez. And I've definitely heard worse people that were new to mixing/mastering. I'd bring up the drums a bit, or back down guitars, they're definitely too loud.

My thoughts exactly, otherwise I think it sounds good.

The bass just feels/sounds empty IMO.

p0rnstache

Reaction score

Noted, thanks! :)

p0rnstache

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, otherwise I think it sounds good.

The bass just feels/sounds empty IMO.

You're right! Other than increasing the volume of the bass, how do I 'fill the emptiness'? Play around with the EQ?

')