Crunch lab with Air norton?

woolcotton

Reaction score
I don´t know if this topic is already been brought up in another thread (couldn´t find it anyways). Anyways...

I´ve got a rg 7321, and right know there´s a d activator/ air norton pups in it, but I want to try something else in the bridge. So I thought, let´s try out the Crunch lab 7 pup that I`ve heard so much great things about (and perhaps the Liquifire later on). Does my air norton go well with the crunch lab (I´ve read that AN resembles the LF in some way). I also like to know which direction of the solid bar is the best (I´m not very into droptuning very much, but I want a allround sound with chunky rythm and also a good sound for solo parts). I know that the d activator has a lot of power in it, and that it has great clarity, but I want to try something different.

I appreciate all kinds of advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I don´t know if this topic is already been brought up in another thread (couldn´t find it anyways). Anyways...

I´ve got a rg 7321, and right know there´s a d activator/ air norton pups in it, but I want to try something else in the bridge. So I thought, let´s try out the Crunch lab 7 pup that I`ve heard so much great things about (and perhaps the Liquifire later on). Does my air norton go well with the crunch lab (I´ve read that AN resembles the LF in some way). I also like to know which direction of the solid bar is the best (I´m not very into droptuning very much, but I want a allround sound with chunky rythm and also a good sound for solo parts). I know that the d activator has a lot of power in it, and that it has great clarity, but I want to try something different.

I appreciate all kinds of advice

They go fine together. Honestly, I prefer the Air Norton over the Liquifire. Tonally, they are pretty similar, with a few minor EQ tweaks. The LF just has a much quicker attack, similar to a single coil...its mainly just a feel thing. I've played both in the same guitar and the AN was just a touch smoother.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
Yeah, it'll sound good. i Have the AN in a few guitars and it always sounds nice! i prefer the sound of the Liquifire, personally.
the CL will probably work best for you with the bar facing the neck.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
People say different things about the bar, but the CL was made to have the bar facing the neck. It can be turned around so that it is brighter, but in a basswood bolt-on, you won't need to :) Good move, CLs are great pups

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
As said, the AN will go great with the CL, and I too prefer the Air Norton to the Liquifire.

As someone who's owned the Crunch Lab, Crunch Lab 7, D-Sonic AND D-Sonic 7, I can say that flipping the Crunch Lab makes almost no difference. If you were blind folded and you didn't know which way round the bar was you'd never guess, it is absolutely nothing like the D-Sonic which both make a huge difference.

Seriously, the CL 7 sounds dare I say 99% the same whichever way round you have it.

edsped

Reaction score
If that's the case then it might only make a big difference in a guitar with a lot of low mids, that's what it did with mine.

woolcotton

Reaction score
They go fine together. Honestly, I prefer the Air Norton over the Liquifire. Tonally, they are pretty similar, with a few minor EQ tweaks. The LF just has a much quicker attack, similar to a single coil...its mainly just a feel thing. I've played both in the same guitar and the AN was just a touch smoother.

When I first heard the LF on youtube, I just thought that it had a more mid- sound to it (compared to the AN, which I find pretty bassy, but I still like the AN!). It may sound more like single coil, like you said :) Thanks for the advice!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
If that's the case then it might only make a big difference in a guitar with a lot of low mids, that's what it did with mine.

A likely assumption, as all the guitars I've had the D-Sonics and Crunch Labs in have been Basswood or Alder.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Seriously, the CL 7 sounds dare I say 99% the same whichever way round you have it.

Well, DiMarzio say that it is brighter with the bar towards the bridge: Frequently Asked Questions | DiMarzio

This video shows there is a difference, but tbh, it is hardly noticeable:

Interestingly enough, it sounds less bright when installed backwards in that video, which is against what DiMarzio say... :ugh:

Sorry for the hijack

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
That's a good demonstration.

99% was a bit of an exaggeration, as I said I did hear a subtle difference but it was nothing like the change on the D-Sonics.

CAlexanderParra

Reaction score
In that video it sounded pretty damn noticeable to me. The pickup seems way tighter with the bar towards the bridge and looser with more of the JP high end tonality away from the bridge.

')