Crunchlab question

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got my Ric Jr. 7 yesterday and it has the Crunchlab Liquifire combo in it.
The Bar in the Crunclab is facing the neck.
What effect does placing the bar towards the bridge to to the tone
in comparison to facing the neck?
brighter darker?
tighter/looser?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
when i put my D Sonic with the bar facing the bridge, the tone becomes a little brighter and tighter. not a LOT, mind you, but a little!

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I've always heard that while the D-Sonic was intended to be switched to taste, the Crunchlab was pretty much supposed to stay with the bar towards the neck. But I guess you could try it out the other way. In the D-Sonic, this tightens it up quite a bit and is a little less bass heavy than with the bar towards the neck.

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
Its physical appearance is identical to the D Sonic™, but the internal design is a lot different. It’s louder, and the highs have more depth. The lows and mids are more open, and this is crucial for playing chords with body and presence through a gained-out amp. The voicing of the pickup is also different enough to the point that John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars (including the JP Bari) with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning.

That`s from Dimarzio`s site I can`t believe people are still asking this, do some damn research it`s been beaten to hell and back. Most prefer it with the bar facing the neck it is not a D sonic.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I prefer it with the bar facing the bridge. It was muddy as all hell with the bar facing the neck in my Universe. I was playing through a Triple Rec and an ENGL 570. I basically thought it was a much overhyped shite pickup - I even said so on similar threads. However, with the bar facing the bridge, it turned the guitar into a metal machine. Clear and powerful - not overly bright and not a significant drop in bass, just a drop in mud.

Switch it around, my friend!

Brighter and tighter.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Its physical appearance is identical to the D Sonic™, but the internal design is a lot different. It’s louder, and the highs have more depth. The lows and mids are more open, and this is crucial for playing chords with body and presence through a gained-out amp. The voicing of the pickup is also different enough to the point that John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars (including the JP Bari) with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning.

That`s from Dimarzio`s site I can`t believe people are still asking this, do some damn research it`s been beaten to hell and back. Most prefer it with the bar facing the neck it is not a D sonic.

Highs have more depth? I don't really follow this lingo...

When I had a D-Sonic 7, I hated the sound of it with the bar toward the neck. From what I hear, the Crunch Lab is a better all-around pickup than the D-Sonic, so experiment with it and see what you think, otherwise you'll really never know for sure.

Kiichi

Reaction score
I just tryed out both and here´s what I felt. Since I´m a martial artist I´ll use that to try and illustrate what I felt they were like.
With bar towards the bridge it was more of a fury kind of thing, going at you with an open clawed hand trying to ripp you open. Lot of power, agressive, more open, at times a little outa controll.
To me this sounded a little better using the center coil split.

With the bar towards the neck it was more like a real fighter, who throws aimed attacks with his clenched fists at you. More solid, aimed, compressed, punchier, controlled, but less agressive.
This is also what I prefere all in all. Mostly since it feels more like I am in controll of the pickup.

Hope you can see what I mean with this ;)

')