Crystal frets, what ? Where ?

• Thread starter IB-studjent-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While the pricing does seem "out to lunch", the materials and tools needed does seem to be significantly more expensive than even that required for stainless frets, with full stainless refrets usually running about 1/5th as expensive. With the lack of acceptance of new ideas throughout the guitar community, I see some built in price raising to compensate for a small degree of orders. That of course combined with exclusivity.

Honestly, if I was in the market for a four figure fret job I'd probably go to True Temperament as the benefits of their fretting system (while 180 degree different than these Crystal Frets) has been quantified.

Perhaps down the road they'll wise up, partner with a builder or company and release a more affordable OEM solution.

This does bring up that there are some VERY hard materials out there outside of metals that might have potential as fret materials. I'd love to see some ceramics used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
This does bring up that there are some VERY hard materials out there outside of metals that might have potential as fret materials. I'd love to see some ceramics used.

Yeah, the problem with those very "hard" materials is, like these crystal frets, is that they have to be custom made for your guitar.

I personally think some sort of black material would look killer on a maple fret board.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the problem with those very "hard" materials is, like these crystal frets, is that they have to be custom made for your guitar.

If production was streamlined it would drop the price significantly, just like what happened to stainless frets a decade prior. They went from pricey, custom jobs to fairly cheap upgrade options.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
i'll stick with Stainless as a better option, pass on this crystal idea, to expensive for my wallet, and don't like the look

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Hard materials aren't hard to find. HArd material that isn't brittle is a lot harder. Remember frets sped their lives being rubbed and submitted to shocks, so the material must be resilient and resist abrasion, not just hard. Add to that it must be reasonably neutral to chemical reactions with the human body and be solid at the usual temperatures.
For exemple, I'm not sure porcelain frets would be a good idea although it would be sonically interesting.
1500$ is the price of an ESP though, so I wouldn't spend that kinfd of money on just the frets. Someone richer could.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
What do I know call me a purist but regular acoustic instruments have been around since the dawn of time, worked for 900 million other guitars works for me.

Fixed. *laugh*

It's always funny to see innovation viewed as a bad thing on a forum featuring ERGs.

----

I've gotta say, this is extremely tempting for one of my Rainsongs, if not for the price. Putting a small bit of abalone beneath each fret seems like it would be even more over the top.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
My biggest problem is that it's an irreversible mod. I'd be more interested in trying them if it didn't mean a.) i'd be out 1500 dollars and b.) I wouldn't be able to go back to normal frets.

jl-austin

Reaction score
The only place in Austin that replaces frets charges $500 for a stainless steel re-fret job. I'm not really surprised by the $1500 for these.

IB-studjent-

Reaction score
While the pricing does seem "out to lunch", the materials and tools needed does seem to be significantly more expensive than even that required for stainless frets, with full stainless refrets usually running about 1/5th as expensive. With the lack of acceptance of new ideas throughout the guitar community, I see some built in price raising to compensate for a small degree of orders. That of course combined with exclusivity.

Honestly, if I was in the market for a four figure fret job I'd probably go to True Temperament as the benefits of their fretting system (while 180 degree different than these Crystal Frets) has been quantified.

Perhaps down the road they'll wise up, partner with a builder or company and release a more affordable OEM solution.

They need diamond tipped blades to shape them, so your paying for the blade and the work put into it plus the price of quartz. Why not just use hardend glass ?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
A short while ago I spent a bunch of time looking into and learning about different metals and alloys to see if there was a fret option other than nickel, brass, gold and SS. I didn't find much, unfortunately, but I too think black frets would be cool.

HighPotency

Reaction score
I would be afraid to play my guitar because of fret wear.
Unless you're using diamond strings, I don't think you have to worry. :lol:

It's a cool idea for sure. I won't bother regurgitating everything that's been said already.

Innovation is expensive. The only thing this idea is lacking is well-known artist(s) backing it up. If Misha Mansoor came on SS.org and said quartz crystal frets are the only way to go, 500 people would want quartz crystal frets.

IB-studjent-

Reaction score
A short while ago I spent a bunch of time looking into and learning about different metals and alloys to see if there was a fret option other than nickel, brass, gold and SS. I didn't find much, unfortunately, but I too think black frets would be cool.

on a BE maple fretboard :greatkat:

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
They need diamond tipped blades to shape them, so your paying for the blade and the work put into it plus the price of quartz. Why not just use hardend glass ?

There is a difference between quartz and hardened glass. For starters, there is a difference in the structure of the crystals, with the quartz being far more regular. The structure of the quartz is what gives it's hardness and sound.

If you're lucky enough, get a glass and give it a flick with your finger. It'll sound rather dull and more like a thud. Get a crystal (quartz) glass and give it a flick. The tone will be bright and extremely clear, the higher the pitch the higher the quality of the crystal used.

/ScienceLesson

Hell, I'd give these guys a whirl just for something different. I'd also imagine, as old mate said in the video, that they'd help to bring out the higher harmonic series present in the guitar that normally get dampened by the metal fret wire.

Defo keen to see where this goes :yesway:

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
It looks awful. I agree with whoever said, it looks as if they're too big for the fretboard - as if they fretjob not quite done. The tone might be good - but how many players will actually notice a difference in sound and playability? Often enough you have people claiming they feel and hear differences, when it is far more likely to be mindtricks (if someone knows a bottle of wine is expensive, that person is likely to acknowledge its qualities and praise it more than might be realistic, than if someone doesn't know or is told otherwise).

I like that there are options available, when you're in the market for a custom - and experiences with materials is great...I'm just not buying this one :) Not tonewise (too little impact on sound imo) nor visually.

')