Cubase or Sonar for drum programming

• Thread starter conjurer_of_riffs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
I like the programing drums in cubase since it has the drum grid with the diamonds for the interface. Not so much with Sonar. What say you???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Sonar has exactly the same thing :) There is a button somewhere at the top or in view or something called 'Show Note Durations' - that will change to percussive diaomonds.

I don't use Cubase to know if it has this feature - but Sonar allows you to create a drum map to rearrange that grid in any way so you can lay it out how you want and also output different MIDI notes to the synth than what is coming in, if that is useful to you.

This allows me to import guitar pro for example where kick = 36, splash = 55 and so on, and have it come up on a grid ordered exactly how I like from bottom to top (Kick, Snare, Hat, low tom, hi tom, crash, crash, splash) for example..Rather than the jumble that is standard. It can then output to the Superior Drummer mapping I to correspond to that, where kick = 1, snare = 2 for example.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use Cubase to know if it has this feature - but Sonar allows you to create a drum map to rearrange that grid in any way so you can lay it out how you want and also output different MIDI notes to the synth than what is coming in, if that is useful to you.

This allows me to import guitar pro for example where kick = 36, splash = 55 and so on, and have it come up on a grid ordered exactly how I like from bottom to top (Kick, Snare, Hat, low tom, hi tom, crash, crash, splash) for example..Rather than the jumble that is standard. It can then output to the Superior Drummer mapping I to correspond to that, where kick = 1, snare = 2 for example.

Yeah, cubase certainly has this feature too, I use it to map the drum inputs from my DM5 to the drum map that toontrack provides for superior.
Also, trigger bass drops and samples from inside the drum map editor

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will take another look to see if I can find that button.

Sonar has exactly the same thing :) There is a button somewhere at the top or in view or something called 'Show Note Durations' - that will change to percussive diaomonds.

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
Agreed, I find that the EZ and Cubase combo is very user friendly and can get right to the point. I don't like spending too much time 'programming' or 'engineering' because it takes away from my guitar playing.

I use cubase with ezdrummer plugged into for my guitar stuff....it works.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Sonar x1 and x2 shortcuts make midi programming a breeze. Its been a while since I have used Cubase but I can't imagine how it could be any easier than whats offered in the latest Sonar products.

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
What shortcuts are you talking about? I find Sonar's 'piano roll' (not sure that is the right window) hard to navigate while I'm 'point and clicking' in the notes.

Sonar x1 and x2 shortcuts make midi programming a breeze. Its been a while since I have used Cubase but I can't imagine how it could be any easier than whats offered in the latest Sonar products.

Capacon

Reaction score
I also use Cubase and EZ drummer. Very easy to use and the results can sound very professional. We did our last album with this set up.

beyondtheepilogue

Booger Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really liked the interface Sonar X1 had with MIDI programming. Now that I'm up to date with X2, enough has changed for me to feel like I've lost my speed. I'm not crazy about programming MIDI in Sonar much anymore. Surprisingly enough, Pro Tools has a system that is more intuitive for me than most other DAWs.

shredfiend

Reaction score
I haven't used Cubase in many years, but the drum grid was my favorite feature.

I use Logic now. It's a a great, great program. But the drum map in Cubase was a bit better than the same feature in logic.

conjurer_of_riffs

Forfeit Productions
Reaction score
My friend thinks highly of sonar. He says there is so much 'engineering' factor that occurs. I'm kind of the opposite, where I like to just jam/play and not mess with tweaking all the time. Although he does like his templates!

I really liked the interface Sonar X1 had with MIDI programming. Now that I'm up to date with X2, enough has changed for me to feel like I've lost my speed. I'm not crazy about programming MIDI in Sonar much anymore. Surprisingly enough, Pro Tools has a system that is more intuitive for me than most other DAWs.

')