Current BC Rich Thread

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That MOP tackiness helped put Schecter on the map.

I think it was more the quality relative to price, as well as willingness to cater to smaller niches helped solidify them amongst the first tier of mainstream metal guitar brands.

I remember most complaining about the abalone but being perfectly content ignoring it given the price and specs at the time.

Also remember, LTD was putting abalone on everything at that time as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say the new ownership's preference for abalone matches that of their own previous signature guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I think it was more the quality relative to price, as well as willingness to cater to smaller niches helped solidify them amongst the first tier of mainstream metal guitar brands.

I remember most complaining about the abalone but being perfectly content ignoring it given the price and specs at the time.

Also remember, LTD was putting abalone on everything at that time as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say the new ownership's preference for abalone matches that of their own previous signature guitars.

OK, I dont know the history of it.

You can get a million unbound superstrats. There are alot of bound boards 99.9 with white.

Very few abalone. And very few bound maple at that.

I think its the kind of thing you would start to appreciate when you played it. Finer details are nice, many acoustics get that treatment. But I agree, it doesn't meet the mainstream definition of "cool" which is somewhere between a hipster beard and an apple commercial.

Hipsters wear a "uniform" in an attempt to look like they put zero effort into it, but they put alot of work and beard trimming into their image. And there is alot of conformity. This guitar is the opposite of that.

From what I read, this is a mexican build?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

You can get a million unbound superstrats. There are alot of bound boards 99.9 with white.

I think its the kind of thing you would start to appreciate when you played it. Finer details are nice, many acoustics get that treatment. But I agree, it doesn't meet the mainstream definition of "cool" which is somewhere between a hipster beard and an apple commercial.

Hipsters wear a "uniform" in an attempt to look like they put zero effort into it, but they put alot of work and beard trimming into their image. And there is alot of conformity. This guitar is the opposite of that.

I mean, if you dig it it's all good. No reason to need to justify it. Everyone has different tastes.

These are South Korean built.

Personally, I remember when it was harder to find a guitar without abalone. Been there, done that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Plus, stuff goes in cycles. We're coming off a fancy top wood cycle, and entering into the "paint is cool" cycle again, for instance. Eventually we'll get bored of the austere esthetic, and like these. So, I have no problem with buying one with abalone, so long as it's not too ridiculous. I was thisclose to buying that Shredzilla 8 with Floyd, but I decided to wait to see if they tweaked the routing for the Floyd, based on tremlicking's review. And now we're in covid, and I'm too scared to spend money, because I don't know what the next 6 months looks like.

And, I think the abalone looks better on the 8, because the neck is wider, so it doesn't look so busy on the FB.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Plus, stuff goes in cycles. We're coming off a fancy top wood cycle, and entering into the "paint is cool" cycle again, for instance. Eventually we'll get bored of the austere esthetic, and like these. So, I have no problem with buying one with abalone, so long as it's not too ridiculous. I was thisclose to buying that Shredzilla 8 with Floyd, but I decided to wait to see if they tweaked the routing for the Floyd, based on tremlicking's review. And now we're in covid, and I'm too scared to spend money, because I don't know what the next 6 months looks like.

And, I think the abalone looks better on the 8, because the neck is wider, so it doesn't look so busy on the FB.

I'm in the same situation! Could buy something, but don't know what the future holds so I'm doing alot of looking.

Reaction score

a 5FDP sig is worse than catering to hipsters. besides, given how much hate abalone gets hipsters probably think its cool :shrug:

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
ZOSZAFRBR-Front-Cropped.jpg

This guitar is so pretty it's ugly. In a good way.

I want this.

Bro look at this

https://www.redblanketguitars.com/p...oyd-Rose-2-Finishes-478.html?cPath=10_451_456

Its the lighting that does it. A more subdued lighting will make it look like what is in the link above

zappatton2

Reaction score
a 5FDP sig is worse than catering to hipsters. besides, given how much hate abalone gets hipsters probably think its cool :shrug:
It may have been mentioned, but are the inlays (dragon on first fret, or the weird crown one on the Extreme series) associated with FFDP? I was thinking about one of those when I get my tax return, but that's a big turn-off for me.

Merrekof

Reaction score
It may have been mentioned, but are the inlays (dragon on first fret, or the weird crown one on the Extreme series) associated with FFDP? I was thinking about one of those when I get my tax return, but that's a big turn-off for me.
Possibly. IIRC, Zoltan had a couple of sig guitars with BC Rich with that dragon or lion or whatever inlay. Haven't seen the crowns though.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
I was just looking at the inlays again and realized that they are the little flame the dragon/Godzilla thing from the 1st fret is shooting, and now I can't unsee the fretboard as an approach to Bowser Super Mario Bros. style :lol:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Hipsters wear a "uniform" in an attempt to look like they put zero effort into it, but they put alot of work and beard trimming into their image.

Sometimes I have to remind people that no, I don't look like an old 90es metalhead. I am one. And I can therefore say that abalone isn't hipster: it was never cool to begin with.
At least, it has a bright bonus: looking short-hair people headbang with their knees is profoundly funny.

tip to bands: don't do it, it looks stupid. Yes, even you, [insertafewprettywellknownbandshere].

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Sometimes I have to remind people that no, I don't look like an old 90es metalhead. I am one. And I can therefore say that abalone isn't hipster: it was never cool to begin with.
At least, it has a bright bonus: looking short-hair people headbang with their knees is profoundly funny.

tip to bands: don't do it, it looks stupid. Yes, even you, [insertafewprettywellknownbandshere].

I said that abalone was the antithesis of hipster. And thats a good thing.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
The only thing cheesier than a dragon inlay would be flaming dice!

I think its much more tasteful, than say the razor blade inlays on the Dimebag guitars.

Much more tasteful than the medieval crosses and whatnot.

Most people wont even see that the first fret is a dragon.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Actually, I think the dragon inlay would be kinda cool, if that was the only thing in abalone. That shredzilla is just way too much colour variation in one guitar.

Also I'm not sure if that dragon inlay is really Zoltan/5FDP related. I'm not really into them tbh..

Merrekof

Reaction score
Actually, I think the dragon inlay would be kinda cool, if that was the only thing in abalone. That shredzilla is just way too much colour variation in one guitar.

Also I'm not sure if that dragon inlay is really Zoltan/5FDP related. I'm not really into them tbh..

')