Custom 7 or Broderick Signature model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J0NNYBRAV0

Reaction score
Been a while since I've been on these forums. But my return coincides with my desire for a new 7 string guitar. So I am debating the following:

Should I go for the Chris Broderick signature 7 string model from Jackson, or just order a custom guitar from some place like Vik guitars or Bernie Rico Jr. I bring up these 2 simply because I don't know of many others, and have recently been exposed to them.

I like the meterials and woods the Broderick sig has, and even the body shape. But I began thinking, if I'm going to spend up to $3000 for a guitar, why not just get a guitar with everything I want put into it? Even if it does end up having the same woods as the Broderick sig.

I am stumped... So maybe if someone has a recommendation for a good custom guitar shop/luthier or possibly some more insight into the Broderick sig. I've read the thread on that guitar and am still pining for more info.

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SilenceIsACrime

Indeed.
Reaction score
IMO just go straight custom. The Broderick sig might be awesome, but it will always be his guitar in a sense. A custom would be unique to you and probably be much closer to exactly what you are looking for.

EDIT: My vote currently resides with ViK guitars, but Daemoness is a pretty awesome shop too....

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Well, the first order of business is to know exactly what you want. A custom will cost you tons of money, and if you end up getting features you can find on lots of production guitars, you've tossed a lot of cash down the drain. So before you even order a guitar of any kind, it's wise to know things like:

* Do you want a 25.5" scale, or an extended scale like 26.5" or 27"?
* Do you prefer a flatter fretboard radius (like an Ibanez) or a rounder one (like a strat)?
* Do you want medium frets, jumbo frets, extra jumbo, and do you want nickel or stainless steel frets (or do you care)?
* Hardtail or trem, and what kind? Do you like a low-profile trem like the Broderick sig or the Ibanez trems, or do you want an OFR?
* What kind of woods and finish?
* C or D-shape neck?

Someone like Vik or BRJ can build you a phenomenal guitar, no doubt. But why spend three or four grand if you end up with a guitar you could have scored for half the price? Do your homework first, and know what you're looking for.

J0NNYBRAV0

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think my problem is I know I want a new guitar, but there is absolutely nothing in existence at the moment that has me interested. I'm hoping the Broderick sig is what I want, but I don;t know yet.

I do not want Ibanez for certain. Agile are cool but none of their guitars have me interested. I already own a Schecter (Loomis sig) so I don't wan another one of those. ESP and Jackson have no 7 strings that appeal to me.... So I don't know where else to look other than just custom building one.

It's not necessarily a matter of woods, frets size, neck dimensions etc... I just want something that intrigues me, and so far I haven't found it.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Dude, when you're deciding between a custom or ANY production guitar... Unless the production guitar is 100% exactly what you're looking for, always go with a custom. Those Vik's have my attention in a bad way, but I never played one

J0NNYBRAV0

Reaction score
Ya I think I've convinced myself to get a Vik Guitar. After seeing Nolly's guitar, holy shit that thing is so bad ass. But I think I'm going to go with fanned frets. Only problem is that even if I order it today, it will be done in a year or something crazy like that. He's a busy man, that Vic.

I checked Daemoness, Eve guitars and blackmachine (who are apparently not taking any more orders). Only that Vik Duality guitar has me excited.

Any other custom shop recommendations?

Reaction score
Ya I think I've convinced myself to get a Vik Guitar. After seeing Nolly's guitar, holy shit that thing is so bad ass. But I think I'm going to go with fanned frets. Only problem is that even if I order it today, it will be done in a year or something crazy like that. He's a busy man, that Vic.

I checked Daemoness, Eve guitars and blackmachine (who are apparently not taking any more orders). Only that Vik Duality guitar has me excited.

Any other custom shop recommendations?

To be honest with you, Vik's turnaround time is probably the best out of any of the luthiers mentioned on this site.

orakle

djentleman
Reaction score
ViK, Daemoness, KxK

those are really my top favourite custom builders

their work is sooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing

McCap

Reaction score
I'm curious of how many of the guys "saying go custom" here have actually ever played or owned a custom guitar?

One important thing to remember is that the resale value for non-custom guitars is normally higher. The more special your custom guitar is, the harder it will probalby get to resell it.
This must not always be true, but you should think about this too...you never know, you may not like your custom in the future anymore (tastes change)...
:)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
You better know damn well every single spec you want in a custom, and the luthier better do it to the T.

Trust me ;)

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I'm curious of how many of the guys "saying go custom" here have actually ever played or owned a custom guitar?

I'm one of like two guys that actually recommended that he goes with a custom builder, and I've played a dumb number of customs and production guitars.

atticmike

Reaction score
Eversince I saw Chris presenting his new Jackson Signature, I instantly fell in love with it. However, I would get myself the six string signature.

Too bad there hasn't been any announcement about the release :*(

atticmike

Reaction score
JPMike, for me, it is about the price.

As a student, you are monetarily not in the best position so to say :D

When they do a custom shop signature edition, it'd be way cheaper compared to putting your own setup together.

If you only had been able to get those JPXI private stock models by ordering them custom yourself, I would've never gotten it for that kind of price.

This has nothing to do with the quality. As soon as a product, even private stock models, goes into production, you def benefit with half off the price.

Nonetheless, I really don't know how much it'd cost me at Jackson USA :D

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
JPMike, for me, it is about the price.

As a student, you are monetarily not in the best position so to say :D

When they do a custom shop signature edition, it'd be way cheaper compared to putting your own setup together.

If you only had been able to get those JPXI private stock models by ordering them custom yourself, I would've never gotten it for that kind of price.

This has nothing to do with the quality. As soon as a product, even private stock models, goes into production, you def benefit with half off the price.

Nonetheless, I really don't know how much it'd cost me at Jackson USA :D

We can debate about it forever, plus there are many factors that can actually contribute to the purchase of your new guitar. Which this is another story.

The thing is, it's personal taste on what you want and my last post is quite in that mentality.

Doesn't Jackson have a custom quote form at their website??

P.S. 2 Mike's :D

atticmike

Reaction score
We can debate about it forever, plus there are many factors that can actually contribute to the purchase of your new guitar. Which this is another story.

The thing is, it's personal taste on what you want and my last post is quite in that mentality.

Doesn't Jackson have a custom quote form at their website??

P.S. 2 Mike's :D

There is no debate unless I'm contradicting my previous statement with actually wanting a specified model :D

And yeah, I guess there is a lot of Mike in this thread ^^

Jackson has a custom shop table, allowing you to put a form/list together which you either send to them or to a partner retailer. How much it'd cost excactly, I have no clue about :D

Reynolds666

Reaction score
Like what everyone else said, custom for sure if you have a pretty good idea of what you want and can handle a wait and the other one if you are a bit uncertain I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts