Custom 7 PRS-style a possibility..

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys, here's the scoop:

I am pretty sure i will be ordering a carvin DC727 to my specs. out of curiosity, i have PM'd apophis for a quote on what those specs would cost on a Roter, and put up a thread on guitarscanada.

now, a fellow just out of london responded to my thread on GB: Newsom Guitars

he does fantastic work. he suggested we at least talk (i just PM'd him) because he could possibly do the actual guitar for $1600, but i would have to take care of all the electronics.

I think that guitar would be better then a DC727, although it'd be more expensive (duh). I am also hoping that ss.org members would help me get the electronics sorted (i have a bridge pickup, i'd need the pots, switch, knobs.. not sure if i'm missing anything).

i really dont want to go over $1600 on this guitar, and with the extra option on the DC727 (5-way switch), im not sure how much more it would be. I would be going over that budget with this custom, and it would probably be worth it. I will be saving over the summer, and *should* have $750 towards a guitfiddle by the end of the month (c'mon mogwaii :wub:).

I'm hoping i'd be able to buy the electronics at a reasonable price from zim's store.. what do you guys think about this?

cheers fellas :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd want to see more of his work. He only has photos of one instrument on his site.

It does look quite nice in photos, but there's nothing like seeing an instrument close-up to really check out the attention to detail and the fit and finish.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
in his post on guitarscanada he said it'd take a while, because he wont use low-quality material on his stuff.

I am really hoping (provided it's "on the way") that i can head out to his shop to see his work.

dunno if that'll happen though.. it might have to wait until i come back in august. unless i can talk him into bringing one in to london for a jam/test run hehe

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
he just posted in my thread

I'm not sure, I will ask. sounds like a pretty small outfit though..

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
never heard of this builder, and his site doesn't really tell you anything.

"better than a DC727" i don't know, at the least the Carvin 727/ 747s are pretty unique, and have a sound and feel all their own.

i would have to see more than a PRS copy to really judge this guys work...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was so caught up in excitement i didnt realy think of the points you guys have made.

i knew this thread was a good idea! haha.

I have a hunch mr. Sherman would be a bit more expensive lol.

hoooopefully i can somehow get out to his shop.

I'm also going to see if he can get me some reviews of people that own one of his instruments.

EDIT: I just pm'd him the following questions: how long have you been building Newsom guitars, can you show me pics of other instruments, and where would i be able to read a review.

Mr. Newsom did just say that we should at least talk and see if it's a possibility, so this idea is still in the infant stages. The goal is a 7 string that I feel comfortable playing, with great quality, that sounds good. so far, the DC727 is in the lead, with a Newsom being an option.

Hopefully I'll have a response tomorrow!

i also just realized he said he'd be out of town for a few weeks.. so i may not be able to go check out his shop while im still in town :(

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I suspect he's probably a small part-time builder, and the long build time isn't due to his extraordinary build quality or materials, but due to the fact that he probably only does it on evenings and weekends.

Just a guess.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks nice, but you keep reading the words "his design" throughout the info on his site. What design? He built a PRS knockoff.

helstrom

Reaction score
Warmoth will build a carved top 7 similar to a prs. They have a 25" scale or baritone 28.6" scale though. I've heard it takes them a long time to paint one too, but its one pretty cheap option if you don't mind piecing one together.
Warmoth Direct - 7 String Bodies

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I got some more info today:

- he's been building guitars for 5 years
- the website is fairly new (you'd think it'd still have more info but hey)
- he will put wolfetone pickups in for said price
- I'll get my finish at that price.

I get the impression that you guys aren't sure i should go with Newsom, especially if I havent seen any of his instruments in person.

I won't disclose the price, but my budget also allows me to get a Roter 7. we've all seen Apophis's work, and it's some very nice stuff. I just need to ask him one or two more questions to see if it is a completely viable option - i dont know what shipping would be..

so as it stands: Carvin DC727, Newsom PRS-style 7, Roter superstrat 7.

I need to find out possible build times.. the thing that Really makes me want to go the Newsom route is the fact that I would be able to test out the neck until it is perfect for my hands.. not quite an option with the other 2 (although from what im told the DC727 has a gorgeous neck, and I'm sure Sebastien could hook me up with the Roter). It's that whole "try before you buy" idea i suppose lol

EDIT: some pics:
snakeguitar043.jpg

DavesAxe029.jpg

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
above pics not totall my thing, if opinion is what it is.

obviously given my current situation i'm inclined to suggest roter over much else in that bracket.

H

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, i know that Seb does some standout work. the PRS body style happens to be one of my favourites haha

another point to add is, there's no downpayment on the Newsom because a definite completion time is impossible for him to give.. and I don't actually HAVE to buy the finished product if for some reason it's not what i want.. granted waiting 6 months and then not getting what i wanted would bring some suck into my day..

gotta keep doing research! I really didn't think I'd end up with a true blue custom lol

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I would go for KxK or Sherman. I would be nervous as hell dropping over a grand on a builder with no feedback.

And I think you know how I feel about Carvin.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think $1600 gets me what i want in a KxK, kinda doubtful with Mike too lol.

I THINK i sent mike a PM? I'll doublecheck.

w00 options!

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
yeah, i know that Seb does some standout work. the PRS body style happens to be one of my favourites haha

another point to add is, there's no downpayment on the Newsom because a definite completion time is impossible for him to give.. and I don't actually HAVE to buy the finished product if for some reason it's not what i want.. granted waiting 6 months and then not getting what i wanted would bring some suck into my day..

gotta keep doing research! I really didn't think I'd end up with a true blue custom lol

hmm. then at this stage mate, i feel i should be objective at you :evil:

- seb appears to have no problem creating exact copies of what you design. you should see the A/B comparison with what i made on photoshop and what's he's physically made. the guy can carve

- in this other luthier's case, if there's no downpayment on your guitar, and therefore no definite time basis on your guitar then dammit the man can take as long as he wants, and sap away at your available savings as and when. seb outlined that he needed half the fee on instruction, the other half once he'd completed which in its essence is one of the most basic and truly mutual financial arrangements you can set up. each side can hold the other to ransom at a 50/50 point, which will not be present on what you've been offered elsewhere

- you don't have to buy the finished product? that sounds awful man. think about it - that means that your dream guitar that you've laboured over the design for and created specifically for your needs and aesthetic demands will then go to someone else who'll use it as another 'shelf purchase' axe, regarded as a cast off from a luthier's deep storage. for me, that's a bit like spending however much time designing your girlfriend's ballroom dress to have her go to the event with another guy

- seb gave me a timeframe and has stuck to it. he even spoke to me about the fact that smaller pieces like desecrated's replacement neck was finished before my axe, when i wasn't even really bothered by it. i can tell you now; roter work fast. the biggest delay in the entire project has been me dibbling about with what i wanted one minute, and didn't the next

hmm, i feel like i've just given a bashing. hope you don't take it that way man, was meant as advice. do please temper what i've said by my obvious bias, but then i'm also a happy customer over here of something you're considering.

H

Ryan

Reaction score
Do you know what kind of Carvin you can get for $1600? Don't mess with a guitar that expensive if you haven't seen his work up close imo. Stick to Carvin, cause you know what you're getting. :agreed:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hal, cheers for the info man.

I'd actually really like a Roter (would have to ship Seb the electronics but i think i could do that), my main concern with going that route would actually be shipping the guitar from their shop to my house lol. I dont think my parents are going to be very willing to help out with funds.. :rant:.. meh.

Ryan, I'm going to be meeting up with a different forumite to check out his Newsom 6 sometime in the next 2 weeks, hopefully.

At any rate, it's cool to know that there's a local luthier near London. I may be able to score a sweet neck for a certain squier :idea: lol

the carvin, spec'd out mostly how i want it (sand 5-way switch) is $1350.. i dont reeeeally want to spend $1600 :lol:

')