Custom 7 questions

• Thread starter danthony12321
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here, I've been playing 7 strings for about 8 years now and I'm currently playing a Carvin. After 5 years with the Carvin and never wanting a new guitar, I've been bitten by the bug.

I'm in the market for a new custom 7 string. I haven't really been following the industry too closely the past few years, so I don't really know what luthiers make 7 strings. Is there a list anywhere on this site? Money isn't a huge object, I'm willing to pay for what I want, but I do have a loose budget in my head.

And also, what are the chances of finding a sustainer system for the 7 without having to buy a guitar and gutting it out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
Well, I'm a big fan of Jackson's custom shop. They're on the pricey end but they have used sustainer's fairly often and are open to doing most anything. I own 2 custom Jackson 7's and they're sublime. There's also BC Rich custom shop if you want something really unique - about a dozen shapes to choose from. I recently ordered some 7's from them and found the process went rather smoothly. Wait times are supposed to be MUCH less than they used to be. Sherman does beautiful work. A lot of people here like KXK also.

Scott

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I highly recommend KXK Guitars - Custom Made in the USA. Rob does fantastic work at reasonable prices. Mike Sherman also does great work. I would say avoid the bigger places like Jackson and ESP as they're just stupid expensive with ridiculous build times ($4k+ and 2 year wait? no thanks)

You can see my KxK SII-7 and several others in progress here:

12_7s

Mine is the last one on the page :)

No idea about he sustainers.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I've started to email some of those shops. I'm not looking for anything too outrageous. I want a slightly modified telecaster body, neck-through, matte black with creme body binding, ebony board with no inlays, fixed bridge. Hbucker in the bridge, P90 neck, on/off switch and built-in phase 90 with a push/pull pot control.

FoxZero

Zero Imperfections
Reaction score
I want a BC Rich custom shop so bad, and they're quote I got a while back was quite reasonable.

The guy I'm considering though right now is this guy.
Monson Guitars

A base price of $1200 for a seven string? That's nuts and he seems to have a good rep from the brief research I've done. He does pretty weird stuff but I'm sure he'd build a strat body for ya.

And definately check out the Illustrated Luthier. He's on this board and I've always been impressed by the look of his work.

starsnuffer

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I've started to email some of those shops. I'm not looking for anything too outrageous. I want a slightly modified telecaster body, neck-through, matte black with creme body binding, ebony board with no inlays, fixed bridge. Hbucker in the bridge, P90 neck, on/off switch and built-in phase 90 with a push/pull pot control.

Who makes P90 style 7 string pickups?

-W

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I highly recommend KXK Guitars - Custom Made in the USA. Rob does fantastic work at reasonable prices. Mike Sherman also does great work. I would say avoid the bigger places like Jackson and ESP as they're just stupid expensive with ridiculous build times ($4k+ and 2 year wait? no thanks)

You can see my KxK SII-7 and several others in progress here:

12_7s

Mine is the last one on the page :)

No idea about he sustainers.

I think that Rob make some awesome works, I saw his work here and it's amazing :metal:

I want a BC Rich custom shop so bad, and they're quote I got a while back was quite reasonable.

The guy I'm considering though right now is this guy.
Monson Guitars

A base price of $1200 for a seven string? That's nuts and he seems to have a good rep from the brief research I've done. He does pretty weird stuff but I'm sure he'd build a strat body for ya.

And definately check out the Illustrated Luthier. He's on this board and I've always been impressed by the look of his work.

That guy has some sick shapes, I like that Virus guitar :hbang:

')