Custom 7 String for $1000?

MA77

Biggest Newb Ever
Reaction score
Any custom build for $1000, buyer beware. You get what you pay for & also, don't get what you don't pay for.

But I hear so many good things about Carvin.

Only thing I'm really hung up on now is the fret size.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Carvin is a production facility that offers limited customization. Very significant difference when you take into account CNC and assembly line production given the particulars of their customizations.

Most here prefer medium jumbo or jumbo, but that's something you'll have to decide for yourself. I'd also take a good look at what fretboard radius is actually most comfortable for you since they also offer 20" radius fretboards for a minimal upcharge.

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
-FR - Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W (Standard)$0.00$0.00

6100 - Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W$30.00$15.00

6130 - Low-Wide Frets .036" H .106" W$30.00$15.00

STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W$80.00$40.00

STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W$80.00$40.00

STRF - Stainless Regular Frets .043" H .080" W$80.00$40.00

Which would you suggest baptized?

I went with the Stainless Medium Jumbo, feels pretty comfy to me. I'm able to get disgustingly low action on my DC727 without any audible fret buzz too.

Also, I bought my DC727 with the intention of never using the coil splits...that changed eventually. They rule, trust me.

IbanezShreds

Reaction score
I too was turned off by Carvins because of the short scale. That is a hard price range for a custom, but I'd recommend an Agile Elite which is just around the $1000 mark with shipping. Or I'd look at maybe a bariton Ibanez or LTD. Schecter if you dig them, but I can't stand them.

ferret

Reaction score
One note about what looks like an "all black" plan for your possible Carvin. Carvin just sent out a new catalog and are now upcharging for a "pure black" ebony fret boards. Without choosing that option, you might get a somewhat streaky fret board, though maybe you get a solid black one. Roll of the dice.

The option isn't on the builder yet so I'd call the order in, if you're set on a full black.

MA77

Biggest Newb Ever
Reaction score
One note about what looks like an "all black" plan for your possible Carvin. Carvin just sent out a new catalog and are now upcharging for a "pure black" ebony fret boards. Without choosing that option, you might get a somewhat streaky fret board, though maybe you get a solid black one. Roll of the dice.

The option isn't on the builder yet so I'd call the order in, if you're set on a full black.

Actually everything is a little up in the air at the moment. I have a build if I choose to go Carvin, but I've started talking with Strictly7, I might go with them since they offer better scale lengths and pickups. We'll see!

MA77

Biggest Newb Ever
Reaction score
OK, so I'm still on the lookout. I can spend around 1500-1600 at most. Any suggestions?

nicktao

Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the previous posts about Strictly 7 before you go through with it. Siggery is the same, look at some of the posts in the dealer section and see how long people are having to wait with no response.

Carvin is hands down the best in that price range if you're looking for ss frets and other semi custom options.

I would also go for the 700 for the passive pup routes the c26 routes on the 727 can be a pain to switch.

MA77

Biggest Newb Ever
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at the previous posts about Strictly 7 before you go through with it. Siggery is the same, look at some of the posts in the dealer section and see how long people are having to wait with no response.

Carvin is hands down the best in that price range if you're looking for ss frets and other semi custom options.

I would also go for the 700 for the passive pup routes the c26 routes on the 727 can be a pain to switch.

Yeah thanks dude, looks a lot like I'm going for the DC700. Still deciding though.

MA77

Biggest Newb Ever
Reaction score
Well fellas, its decided! I've gone with Siggery Guitars! I want to thank everyone on this forum who helped me out, especially baptizedinblood, It would have sucked doing it without you guys!

Hand Crafted Guitars

I talked a lot with Marty about the specs and he seems like a genuinely cool guy, and the prices are amazing. I highly recommend him (well, as much as I can without having the guitar yet).

It'll be about $1600 in total and hes covering the international shipping cost! I live in Boston and he's across the pond in the UK.

When my guitar arrives I'll be sure to post pictures!

')